Would you let her?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

My 21 year old daughter is home from college for the summer. She started dating someone she's known for years. He's 24 and is headed into the military in September. His parents, evidently, not only don't mind, but welcome, their son sleeping with whoever he pleases in their home, as she stays there almost every night.

I have a problem with my unmarried daughter bringing someone home and sleeping with them in my house. But I can't tell her what to do since she is a legal adult. The end result is that his parents are getting the joy out of my daughter's company for the summer and I'm left in the dust because I won't let him sleep over.

What would you do?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go with what you believe and state that he is welcome around to your house at any time but that if he wishes to stay round for the night then he must sleep on the sofa/spare room. Just say that you feel that it is disrespectful for her to expect you to allow him into her room, irrespective of what she says would take place. She is not going to cut you out of her life for it, just make it clear that he is welcome over whenever he wants for dinner or whatever - but that you do not care what she does when she leaves the house as it is none of your business. When she is in your house however it is your business as you need to feel comfortable in your own home. Im sure she would bring her boyfriend around just as long as you made it clear that he is welcome to visit.

I notice that you are a single mother. Imagine if she had a father living at your home, fathers are much more protective (generally) than mothers.... so her boyfriend should feel thankful that he is not going to get interrogated every time he meets you. 

Stand your ground with your own principles in your own house, and completely forget about things that may be happening outside of your house. As like you said, she is 21, so her business is her business when you are not directly affected.

Just my personal opinion of course.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh and thats straight from the mouth of a 24 year old male by the way!

2. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya know I am 33 and my mother still would have something to say about me sleeping in the same bed with my husband at her house. Besides I would feel too weird to even do that.....

2. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Nope stick to your guns about not letting her have sleepovers!  It doens't matter that this guy is going to the military.  If you let her do it now then she will want to bring over the next guy she dates for  the night.  It would be setting a bad precedent.  Sorry she is not spending more time with you.  Maybe you can invite them both over for  pizza nad movie at your house some evenings?  Or maybe you and her could go shopping together??

3. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I agree with MS Chievious....

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Yep, stick to your guns.  I would do the same.  I would invite them to dinner & breakfast to try and share good quality time together.

5. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Keep to your rule about not having sleepovers. I did the same thing with my daughters as they grew up and tried to test the waters. She will eventually thank you and respect you for keeping your rules..............

6. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Your house, your rules.

But invite them over as well.  For dinner, family outings, etc.  Your rules are that crazy or outside the norm, so stick to your guns

7. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

I agree with bgpappa its the way to go

8. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yep I agree with everyone on this one my friend ,but its does feel so unfair at the time.

Ive been there and while I knew I was doing the right thing (by me) it took some courage as his siblings were young and didnt understand why their big brother didnt/couldnt  stay in his own home.

Its tough , but also a phase.

Look at the alternative , if she and her beau were staying in your home , theyd probably only have time for each other anyway , and youd still feel a bit like leftovers.
    No use this time to keep yourself strong and happy.

My gut feeling is that you and your daughter will become much closer later on and almost inseparable ,so hang tight. smile

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Kiwi. Your advice is always right on target.

9. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Thanks all for your advice. I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

I do go on shopping trips or to the movies with her every now and again and have had the occasional breakfast/dinner with them together, and he knows he's always welcome here. It's great quality time, but I do feel like I've lost the summer with her that I was hoping for.  You're right though, it is her life, not mine!

1. Pamda Man profile image58
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You all say you only need quality time. It's so wrong. No matter the quality, quantity is what everybody needs. Invite them to come over but declare some rules to the guy. It's your home.

I didn't bother to read the whole page of words. So, enjoy your quantity time!

10. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

agree with everyone else here, lrohner.  even if she were paying rent and her meals, there are still house rules.

11. profile image57
    Melissa Petersposted 14 years ago

I think this is a very difficult situation but you are doing the right thing. Your daughter should respect your wishes, your rules and your home. Ultimately...I think she will realize what she has done by seperating herself from you. In the mean time, I would suggest inviting them "out" somewhere or over for dinner etc. in the evenings, that way you still get to see her but you don't have to condone the behavior.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

So, you think sex is bad. smile

13. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I agree stick to your guns! I've been there and done that (as the guy when I used to be engaged) ((part of the reason why I'm no longer engaged)) Be firm and let her know that she is loved and always welcome but make sure she knows that lovingly you disaprove of her actions. This will put you at ends and I'm sure you have had fights about it or maybe that was just me and my mom. But people grow up and they mature some of us have to learn the hard way until we learn to learn from others experiences without making the mistakes ourselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)