if you are being robed at a atm what to do

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in reverse. For example if your pin 6542 just put it in as 2456 and you still get he money then the machine sets out a signal and the police are notified and they come to your assistance

1. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, never knew that.  Does this go for all machines in the US?

1. profile image0
        isis_dreams2002posted 14 years agoin reply to this

do not know you would have to ask your bank they will tell you i only know about here in australia

2. candice5 profile image58
        candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

NOWAY! I use reverse pins and sometimes make an error,I am relatively sure I have done this in error, without any sudden emergence of Police. I DON'T BUY THIS AT ALl. I think you are mixed up with the reverse Cell Phone thing. Or that Bank Officers have such systems, But not members of the Public.

2. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Isis my sister sent me an email talking about this too, my problem is I would panic so much with a weapon up my butt, I may have trouble thinking what my number is in reverse, quite often I forget what it is the right way. smile smile

1. profile image0

I know what you mean

3. troyjones profile image60
      troyjonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hand over the money, try to get their face on the ATM camera, and count your blessings.

2. Kidgas profile image64
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I would tend to believe that this is false (at least in the US):

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

3. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

i have never heard of that either, despite being a LEO

4. profile image0
    isis_dreams2002posted 14 years ago

it was reported   here on fox tv

5. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

This is completely bogus.

Just think about it -- how the heck would the police know? Maybe my PIN is 1234 and yours is 4321. Totally false.

1. profile image0

dont know about it in that situation but this is what the programe said to do

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is new to me, but I don't think anyone should assume it's bogus based on "how would the police know".  With electronics being what they are, it's entirely possible that if someone enters the correct number for that particular account number in reverse, that would trigger some kind of message from the bank's "electronics" to the police.  For each account there's on one correct pin number.

On the other hand, doing a quickie search I found this:

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/3015 … mer30.html

It's dated 2007, so there's the chance something has changed since then; but based on the quickie search, it's looking like the reverse-pin could be incorrect.

6. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

Well I do not know why I worry about it.  No bank account and no money.  I would laugh if someone stole my purse.

1. lrohner profile image70
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if someone does steals your purse, it won't do you any good to shout out "someone stole my esrup!" lol

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile ROFL

2. profile image0
        annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right, and I wouldn't waste a breath yelling that out since I would be laughing at who it was that ran off with my purse.

3. blondepoet profile image66

If you scream out anything I have been told 'erif' is good

7. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I would enter the code and let the thug go up to the machine and take the money - so their mug was caught by the camera.

No amount of money is worth your life, and if the camera gets a good pic, they might get caught, put in jail, and you just might get your money back. smile

8. candice5 profile image58
    candice5posted 14 years ago

I am so sorry But the Are you being robed at gunpoint?. Gave me a Mental pic, of someone, being forced at gunpoint to put a Cloak on.
    Unfortunate typo. So, if I was being robed, at gunpoint, I would dress quickly lol.

9. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

If someone ever robs me, I would rob him back. smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh now I understand why the girl called you smart. Its an Irony! I get it!

1. Pamda Man profile image58
        Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

O phail! Noes to the Human Torch. Human Torch is fiery, sets fire on everything he touches. EFG on the loose!

1. profile image0

Dude, is that supposed to even be remotely funny? Remotely?

10. CEN7777 profile image60
    CEN7777posted 14 years ago

Enter your personal identification number in reverse sequence.

11. Pamda Man profile image58

So what do we need to do when we are being robbed at a atm?

1. profile image0

Do what I do. Make sure you always pack ATM cards with no dough in them. The armed robber will soon get tired of watching you slot in card after card. lol

12. Pamda Man profile image58

Perhaps we should cut the card in front of him. He won't kill us. He just wants money.

1. profile image0

he might want money, but doing that would sure get him to kill ya. You've not encountered a lot of criminals, have you.

Murder is a very serious crime. Theft on the other hand is relatively light. He wouldn't want to get in trouble for murder, police is sure to get him. He would gain no money and lose everything. He won't kill you. You probably should start thinking of stopping judging people.

1. profile image0

You're from Norway right. That's why. I hear the murder-crime rate there is almost zero.

Norway is the world's most successful country. I do hope I'm a Norwegian... You really should stop judging people. As far as I've seen, almost everything you have said is wrong.

1. profile image0

Dude, you are from Norway. And You spelt Panda wrong. So you see, not everything I said is wrong...so far. lol

13. Pamda Man profile image58

I have now come to the conclusion that Dude is a EFG and now I shall ignore whatever he says because he fails, apparently.

1. profile image0

at least, bless me pandagod. Just one time...then I promise I wont bother you again. lol

14. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

No one ever gave me a robe at an ATM, but if they did I'd accept it graciously. smile

1. wesleycox profile image70
      wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very funny, hahahahaha. 

I think I would heat vision the criminal and burn the word theif into their forehead.

15. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Ok so I just asked my boyfriend who is a Teller Manager at the biggest US bank and he said "Nope that doesn't work! Just give 'em the money"

So there ya go.

1. Lisa HW profile image61

On a serious note, you know what's scary...    I always just had it in my head that if anyone tried to rob me I'd "just give him the money".  It was my "sensible mantra" that I kept in my head for years.  One evening years ago, though, I went to the bank after work.  It was dark out.  Some guy came out of nowhere and reached for my shoulder bag, slung over my shoulder.  Did I do the "sensible thing" I'd told myself for years I'd do?  No.  I got ready to fight for the bag, and I did what I could to be able to see the guy's face really well, so I could tell the police his description later.  I'm a small-framed woman, and this guy was an average-sized guy.  I tightened my grip on the shoulder strap and could feel myself "fluffing up" and getting ready to fight this (over a pocketbook with a few dollars in it!!).  When I did that he just kind of ran off (so on the one hand, I got to keep my bag).  Still, that's the thing police always tell women to NEVER do.

I didn't care about the money or anything else in the bag.  It was just that I was angry that this creep thought he could just run up to me and take the bag.  It was just very disconcerting to discover that, for all the good sense and learning how to handle such a thing in the "most sensible" way, it all went out the window when it really mattered.  I was just lucky this creep was so easily driven away.  Of course, there wasn't as much use of drugs that make people aggressive as there are today.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am confused as should I call you brave or stupid?
        Both brave and stupid in fact you are.
        You were brave enough to fight him back but you could have hurt yourself!
        He could have even killed you if you had seen his face.

16. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I can't see how entering your number in reverse sequence would work. What if your number was 5225? In that case, there would be no reverse sequence to enter.

17. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

As much as loathe the thought of somebody taking the money that I earned through hard work in the simple gesture of holding a gun to my head...I would give him any money he desired.

In the event of being robbed at an ATM a camera would record the crime as it took place....after the thief departs (hopefully not just killing you for the sake of doing so) you call the police and after a few interviews and an overall tedious process your money would be returned to your account...banks have insurance.

Gives you a good story in the least...

Entering your code incorrectly..rather it works or not...is the catalyst for the police arriving while you are still being held at gunpoint...what could have been a rather disturbing transaction would inevitably turn into a hostage situation...one from you may not escape.

Granted I think this is situational...as I said you never know who is robbing you and what their ulterior motives may be...rape...torture...or just killing somebody. 

There is essentially no a correct answer to this.

18. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

If you are ever being robbed (in any situation) by knife, gunpoint or other weapon, always give the money. Unless you have a concealed weapon that you are highly trained to use and know for CERTAIN that you can overtake the person robbing you, then why risk your life over some cash?

Your bank usually sets limits of a certain amount of money you can withdraw at an ATM and most criminals know this. That being said, if you can do it, keep your daily maximum for ATM withdrawals as low as possible. Call your bank and see what yours is. I checked one day and learned that my bank gave me a maximum of $1k a day or $1k a weekend! Obviously, if I ever needed that much cash, I would go to the bank; that amount is ridiculously high. I had them lower it to $100. That way, if this should ever happen, I'm only out $100 bucks and the perpetrator will be able to read right on the ATM screen that I've reached my daily limit. Let's just hope that the person is *somewhat* logical that no more money can be withdrawn and is not all agitated and illogical due to drug use or dire circumstances.

1. profile image0
      Sidney Rayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed...mine is actually $300 per transaction...per ATM machine. The only way more money can be withdrawn is to visit another location...most criminals would probably and hopefully know this and take what they can get and call it a day.

Or...perhaps if they are even "smarter"...just take the machine!:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kulnm8Gjhh8/Sg6raTfb77I/AAAAAAAANE8/hkFbpbuDOvw/s400/ATM.jpg

19. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Ultimate Hubber,

"I am confused as should I call you brave or stupid?
    Both brave and stupid in fact you are.
    You were brave enough to fight him back but you could have hurt yourself!
    He could have even killed you if you had seen his face."

Oh - I'd definitely go with "stupid", and that was (and still is) the thing that shocked and worried me.  I mean, I'd go around saying things like, "If anyone ever wants my bag he can have it.  It isn't worth it!"  I've always been the first to say what a giant "chicken" I am in life; but I thought that being a "chicken" was outweighed by all the good sense I usually have.

I had no idea that when faced with the real situation I'd be angry instead of afraid, and that adrenaline would kick in and stop my brain from working!   roll

The main reason I told the story was that I'm thinking if people know this can happen ahead of time, maybe they can "program themselves" to be prepared for the "fight instinct" and maybe think of some kind of "mantra thing" to say if/when faced with the situation.  People can learn all the "good-sense rules" in their head, but I discovered that's not enough.  People need to also learn how to manage their own unexpected, adrenaline-induced, "bravery".   hmm

20. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Lisa, it's not just the money. It's your ID, your credit cards, the keys to your house, your car, your cell-phone with the phone numbers of people you care about.

And, no, none of us know how we will react if it happens. I think you have to go with your instincts at the time, not your political convictions or what society has programmed you to do.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's so true. Those kinds of situations are completely unique each and every time and often it's your first instinct that is the best one--but you won't know what instinct that is until it happens. I don't think it's fair to second guess anyone who has been the target of a violent crime.

1. Lisa HW profile image61

Aya, I know it would be a major worry and inconvenience to have all that stuff taken, but I think (at least in theory) it's still a matter of "nothing is worth getting killed over".

Pgrundy, agreed.  So many things in life (not just crime) are a matter of our not knowing exactly what we'd do unless/until we're actually in a situation.

21. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm not condoning the taking of ATM's; but I have to say that I kind of wish I was someone who had enough nerve to just go do that kind of thing.  I mean, I don't want to rob a bank or steal money or anything like that.  I just kind of admire the chutzpah of someone who'd do it and wish I had a little of that.    smile

1. profile image0

chutzpah? What is that, yiddish for balls/courage?

22. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

It would be impossible to really rob someone like me.  If I ever did have a bank account, it is usually only a small amount in there.  They may get mad since they robbed me at gunpoint for $20 and then shoot me since I am so poor.

1. profile image0

Girl, quit letting yourself down so much. I've watched you always talk negative about yourself, and I dont like it. Words have power. Try and be more positive.

23. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Actually, it's Hebrew for "rudeness" or lack of consideration.

It's typical of Yiddish to turn a negative into something with a positive spin.

24. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Being the crazy type of dude I am, I would shout at the top of my voice "Nooooooo Don't shove that gun shaped dildo up my arse again!!!!!" just to draw attention to the robber and make a run for it...could work in theory!

1. blondepoet profile image66

Hahaha Wayne....that has to work smile smile Love your new avatar too..

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep it's gotta work. although knowing my luck, I'd get shot by the gun shaped dildo, I'd be okay if it fired blanks, but if it didn't, it could get messy!

1. blondepoet profile image66

ROFL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)