Holy Cow!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (90 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I almost missed this bit of news in my spam box. How on earth a letter from the FBI got in there, I have no idea, but I am incredibly fortunate I didn't delete it! Once again, I will have to bid you all adieu, as I am about to get very rich and subsequently - as it always goes with the very rich- famous!

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
    Anti-Terrorist And Monitory Crime Division.
    Federal Bureau Of Investigation.
    INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS
    J.Edgar.Hoover Building Washington Dc
    Customers Service Hours / Monday To Saturday
    Office Hours Monday to Saturday.

Dear Beneficiary,
    Series of meetings have been held over the past 3 months with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization. This ended 2 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is to the tune of $1.850,000.00 due to past corrupt Governmental Officials who almost held the fund to themselves for their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund.
    The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the current president of Nigeria his Excellency President Good luck Jonathan to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the likes. Now how would you like to receive your payment? Because we have two method of payment which is by Check or by ATM-CARD?
    (1)ATM-CARD: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM-CARD which you will use to withdraw up to $3,000 per day from any ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2017. Also with the ATM-CARD you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. The ATM-CARD comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account.
    (2)CHECK: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within three working days. Your payment would be sent to you via any of your preferred option and would be mailed to you via FedEx. Because we have signed a contract with FedEx Express which should expire by end of Feburary 2014 you will only need to pay $380 instead of $580 saving you $200 So if you pay before end of Feburary 2014 you save $200 Take note that anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is definitely a fraudsters and you will have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any.
    Also remember that all you will ever have to spend is $380 nothing more! Nothing less! And we guarantee the receipt of your fund to be successfully delivered to you within the next 48hours after the receipt of payment has been confirmed.
    Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal Government of Nigeria, The United Nation and also the FBI and including taxes, custom paper and clearance duty so all you will ever need to pay is $380.
    DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping your ATM-CARD is $580 but because FedEx have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $580 to $380 nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort!
    To effect the release of your fund valued at $1.850,000.00 you are advised to contact our correspondent in Africa the delivery officer Prof.Paul Frank with the information below,
    Name:Prof.Paul Frank
    Email : profpaulfrankpf101@gmail.com
    Phone :+234 7041 846 602
    You are advised to contact him with the information's as stated below:
    Your full Name..........
    Your Address:..............
    Home/Cell Phone:..............
    Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)
    Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that your package is sent within 48 working hours. Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 48hours after you have made the payment for shipping.
    Yours sincerely,
    NICHOLAS STORY
    FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
    UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
    WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
    Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in possession of your ATM-CARD, you are hereby advice only to be in contact with Prof.Paul Frank of the ATM CARD CENTRE who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your ATM-CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.

1. Minnetonka Twin profile image89
      Minnetonka Twinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That really fries my can. How do they sleep at night :-0

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You obviously didn't see the tidy sum I am about to make, all for only opening an email... I didn't even really read the email, I just saw this amount: $1.850,000.00 and knew that my ship had come in.

2. writinglover profile image76
      writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nothing more than a piece of scam mail. I do get a big kick out of reading those sometimes, even though I shouldn't be doing that at all because you could get malware just by opening those. I actually had two of those come in my old yahoo account trying to intimidate me. They said that there was an investigation on me and that I needed hand over some personal information in order to verify that I wasn't the suspect that they were looking for.

And of course, you got the lame scam mail that make no sense and you just know that they're that hard up for money. tongue

1. profile image0

Malware? Oh shoot. lol

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

SCAM ALERT!  SCAM ALERT!   SCAM SCAM SCAAAAM!!!!!     I also receive such "notices"........DELETE.....

On a GOOD note, congratulations for making HOTD on your marvelous hub on cilantro salmon.  It is indeed delicious-I LOVE SALMON!

1. profile image0

Thank you so much, and don't worry, I deleted... right after I sent them all my personal info and bank acct # so they could get that cash into my hand asap! smile

3. Cardisa profile image86
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Notice how many times the word 'fund' is used...lol. I get them all the time. Sometimes I read them for "fund" lol lol

BTW, congrats on getting HOTD!

1. profile image0

Thanks Cardisa, I was absolutely shocked. Never thought it was something one of my hubs would achieve. Most grateful to the HP's staff.

2. writinglover profile image76
        writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. Tolovaj profile image88
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Only $1.850,000.00? I just got 8.500,000.00 last week. Maybe you should make few connections on the other side of Atlantic?

5. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if Nicholas Story moonlights as a Nigerian prince?

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, while you were waiting for your ship to come in, you missed the boat.
      At the boat would have kept you afloat.
      And as soon as they receive the $380 the will sail away to another port.
      Would you like to buy a Bridge?  Lol.

1. profile image0

Most certainly! I expect to be coming in to a large sum of money soon, so name your price!

7. RonHawk profile image63
      RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's important to know that "United Nations Organization" is the proper name, not United Nations.  Also, FPI uses the proper notation for amounts, namely $1.850,000.00.  That's right.  You have won one dollar 85 cents but corrupt Government Officials (they might be corrupt, but at least they are capitalized) are trying to deprive you from it and FPI is trying to restore your dollar 85 and promptly send to you a Master Card (not to be mistaken with Mastercard) for you.  Master Card...  Master the POSsiBilIties (yes, our capitalization program is beGinNinG to MalFunCTIO N   D oo   TOO ovER UZe   

error error  this does not compute... call FPI right away...
      this message will repeat in 30 seconds

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google the address to see if it is real, or check with the FTC. That is most likely spam. You should not have opened it. - you could have gotten a virus which infects your PC. Sometimes they even shut down your computer or hold it for ransom.

9. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow ! Are you going to share?  hmmmm - maybe some corrupt officials made some mistakes in my favor, too. I can hardly wait till they send me an email.

10. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I get these all the time, but you'd think by now they'd realise that as soon as anyone reads "Nigeria' or 'Ghana' anywhere in the email you will know it's a scam....let alone from the FBI, or the incorrect grammar. It was worth a read just for this guy's name though: " president of Nigeria his Excellency President Good luck Jonathan". Let us know if after sending the $380, if you do become a trillionaire or whatever.....

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Does this mean my marriage proposal from Nigeria  is a scam?  That just breaks my heart.

2. BigBlue54 profile image60
        BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is his name.

2. barbat79 profile image63
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

I too have had my share of fortune. ;0  And after I posted to
    craigslist (not leaving my e mail for view) I got a slew which I knew the source...so I played a little with the "do -gooders" since I clearly included a note about scams and such in my ad...I just had to act!

Especially since they were a ring of scammers with fake e-mails I noticed.  they coordinated either one or more people were behind this transparent scheme.
    Sooooooo:  he he
    I (with the help of my utility tools to safeguard me) began responding with just a note that I am part of the FBI's ongoing effort to capture and eliminate scammers.  (I didn't say I was FBI, just that I was part of the effort!)
    They stopped!
    What a miracle!  I was so mad I had to have some fun on them.

1. profile image0

Maybe *you sent me that email! Why do you want to give me so much money? What's in it for you barbat? I've got my eye on you now.

1. barbat79 profile image63
        barbat79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

rowl!

1. profile image0

I googled "rowl" and I still don't know what it means.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
            The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"roll over without laughing"?? (scratch, scratch)

hahahaha  good one!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
            1. profile image0

I know quite well the sound the cougar makes. lol wink

The comments were funny, but so you don't become confused by me response, it is rolling over with laughter, Beth. 
        I wasn't being insulting toward you.

1. profile image0

I wouldn't have imagined that... a sweet little puppy like you.

wink

I thanked them for sending the e-mails since I now had their IP addresses  LOL

1. profile image0

You're all way more savvy than I.

3. BigBlue54 profile image60
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

I had one like that on my old Yahoo account. They did not realise that the IMF was not part of the UN.

I also had one from someone at the British embassy in America, not using their email address, saying they had a box full of money for me. Like they were just going to send me a box full of money, no questions asked. If there was a box the first thing I would have known about it would be when the Police, Her Majesties Customs and Excise and probably one or two other agencies came knocking at my door.

I had one from someone who worked in a bank in Africa who wanted to use my bank account in what was a bank fraud to steal money from someone else's account.

I had one from a US army Sargent stationed in Iraq. Him and his buddy had done this big oil deal, because that's what they were all doing over there, and now his buddy was dead he needed my bank account to get all the money out.

There were several others of a similar vain. I think the thing that annoyed me most was that all were obvious scams and no one had even tried to make them believable.

1. profile image0

I just like how they ask for my name. lol

Well, that is exciting news.

I got a marriage proposal from a guy in a third world country who is soon to be a millionaire. I am pondering ....

1. BigBlue54 profile image60

You go for it. We're all expecting an all expenses paid invite to the wedding. big_smile

Cool - you can be the best man.  cool

Don't mind that. I am not being the be maid of honour. Much as I like you I am not shaving my legs for anyone. sad

Oh I would like to be the maid of honor!  Gee I never got a proposal of that kind!  Wow I am feeling left out. lol

2. tirelesstraveler profile image59
      tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

It these scams didn't work they wouldn't use them  This chaps my hide.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I really do need to start proofing my emails before sending. Oh, well...

4. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 10 years ago

Emailethem back on a fake email address claiming to be princess Zebonya from the planet trampoline. Make a counter offer of a new kind of salt for their fries, a yoyo and an orange frog that can burp the intergalactic anthem.

1. RonHawk profile image63
        RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

O' say can you sing (burp)
        By the dawn's early bird special (burp burp)

5. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 10 years ago

Gee kids, look at that big ship; its got a rich cargo!
      It ain't your ship, and it isn't my ship,
      ah, but I've got a ship someplace,
      and it's coming in someday,
      and when it does...well, all good hubbers are invited to the party!

Thanks for the song Eddie C...

Awesome !  I am ready to PARTAAAAY !  I think I see that ship out there ... sailing this way.

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
          Alastar Packerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll buy a great big ice cream factory...and all the HP kids will get in free...

Your definitely invited as chief hostess, Phyllis!

Way so awesome !!!!

1. Alastar Packer profile image72
              Alastar Packerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Thanks. The line (except for HP) are from a song called "When My Ship Comes In" sung on the Goldwyn movie "Kid Millions" by that wonderful philanthropist of yesteryear, Eddie Cantor. Credit where it's due, eh, Phyllis.smile

OMGosh ! Eddie Cantor !  I thought that was  a familiar line. Wow, I have not heard about Eddie Cantor for so long. He was so popular in his day. I love his songs.  Nostalgia ....

6. Alastar Packer profile image72
      Alastar Packerposted 10 years ago

Only if its on the moon, Shyron...any discounts?

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Spam/scam all the way.  Why would it cost you ANY money up-front for a hunk of plastic, and you are supposedly getting millions???  This is nothing more than a money-making scheme for the perpetrators, and any money sent to them needs to be kissed goodbye.
      I understand that scam e-mails of this nature are now being handled by the Dept. of Homeland Security. ...That is who you need to contact about this....
      They are always offshore, and possibly 'fundraising' for terrorist groups.....and if not, they are still criminals preying on the less fortunate.

8. Sharkye11 profile image91
      Sharkye11posted 10 years ago

Wow. Yours is better than mine. I had one last night from the FBI saying that I was guilty of using my computer to engage in serious crimes and that I was being fined.

All I have to do is to go to Walgreens and buy a pre-paid credit card (for something to the tune of $5000) and send it immediately to a P.O. box somewhere.

Otherwise the FBI is going to come take me and my computer in and torture us both into confession.

Naturally, I would just jump up and do that, but they kinda made me mad. Since they didn't come right out and say they were the FBI. They used the name of one of my email contacts, which is the only reason the letter was opened to start with. Then it locked my browser and I had to stop writing and give my computer a complete check-up to make sure it didn't catch anything.

So, they can just wait. I don't have time to run to Walgreens. Especially since they specified it should be one near my home, in Las Vegas. Hahaha.

1. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's called "ransomware":  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware

Who thinks up this stuff, anyway??  yikes

2. profile image0

That sounds serious. I can no longer have any contact with you as I am on the right side of the law and in very good with the FBI, it would appear.

9. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 10 years ago

I haven't gotten that one, but I've gotten others like it. And that's why I'm so stinkin' rich now. Wooo-hooo!

10. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

Wow Congratulations!  First Hub of the Day, and now all this cash.  Remember the little people. <-- that would be me when you are feeling especially generous.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, I wont be sharing, the promised sum will just cover my utilities.

11. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Soooooo, you're to become a camillionaire soon.  Do you think it will change you?

And if you invest to become a cazillionaire, will you move to have the word cazillion taken from the urban dictionary and placed in the real one?

1. profile image0

I find that post so interesting, I can't even respond. I will ponder...

12. harisnefo profile image69
      harisnefoposted 10 years ago

I apologize on behalf of Nigerians. so sad to read this!

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes if these people have all that money surely a small portion could be given to the starving and poverty stricken in countries like Nigeria rather than offering it to other people all over the world.....

2. profile image0

lol! Don't take that upon yourself, I credit the Federal Bureau of Investimagations.

13. merej99 profile image73
      merej99posted 10 years ago

Hey Beth37 - when I open up my junk folder hot chicks want me, I can get a huge discount on hair removal and - my favorite - apparently I need a penis enlargement.  Can I be stinkin' rich with you?  LOL

1. profile image0

Yeah, I get those too. How did they know I was unsatisfied with the size of my... portfolio?

14. Travelweb13 profile image57
      Travelweb13posted 10 years ago

It looks like a good setup for e-noobs and the greedy ones

15. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

In reply to this letter I got a similar letter from a top Goverment attorney General.Under a name. Someone is using the Goverment in their scams. Do not send money or trust them with personal Id's they can even steal money from your ATM cards ,or bank cards used on line, my daughter was a victim a month ago.

16. Hendrika profile image68
      Hendrikaposted 10 years ago

I receive them on my computer on my cell, I am a millionaire over and over. Fortunately I do not need a penis enlargement!LOL

When I signed up for something, I under gender I put "male" instead of female and not my true personal info.  That was a number of years back and now I still get spam for male enhancement and messages from "hot chicks"  I have cleared them all by blocking them.  There are programs that alter the e-mail address it comes from so it can get through under a different e-mail address.  The things programmers create!  Snail mail used to feel much easier.  Just toss it in the garbage! (after removing your label for a different kind of thief !!)

17. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

You can't have that money cos they told me it was mine, so there! lol!

18. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

Who cares about 1,850,000 USD. Didnt you get the email yet about a free puppy from a Cameroon breeder who has too many Yorkies?
      Dont count on Pinterest, Beth.

1. profile image0

Free puppy?! Is a yorkie a Nigerian dog?

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

For only $380 shipping costs, you can find out.

1. profile image0

Done!

I think you may be Beth. sad

If you are talking about the dog then its full name is Yorkshire Terrier. I feel I should point out that Yorkshire is not in Nigeria. For one thing we don't get anywhere near as much sunshine.

The other Yorkie is a chocolate bar Try not to get the two confused. One is small, hairy and was originally used to hunt rats and the Yorkie bar is none of those things. It's the only one of the two that tastes of chocolate. big_smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, we were talking about Nigerian prince scams... just a joke.

2. chasmac profile image90
                chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

BigBlue54 - You shouldn't be telling Beth about Yorkie bars. Remember, they're not for girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcjlzSod0CE

1. profile image0

Chocolate's always for girls. smile

2. BigBlue54 profile image60

If you want to tell Beth she cannot have a Yorkie bar be my guest. While you're doing that I'll call for an ambulance for you. smile

1. profile image0

What the world really needs is a chocolate puppy.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
                      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you just gave the Nigerian scammers a new idea.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Chocolate puppies would be great for dieting. If you bite off the ears they scream, so you won't eat the whole thing.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Not uh ! I love  those York peppermint patties. Girls can have them, too.

I am with you, Phyliis !  Chocolate, peppermint and Candy Crush!   not to be confused with crushing an dog with your canine teeth!  OK now I am worse than Beth!  LOL

19. BigBlue54 profile image60
      BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

If you've got fleas Beth we'll have to get you a flea collar.

If you promise to behave and not bite the postman you can stop. smile

20. mr-veg profile image60
      mr-vegposted 10 years ago

Can I get 1 % of your wealth wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)