Is it now OK to call someone an idiot on HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

I reported someone on Monday for calling another poster an idiot. Five days later, it's still there. Now I see the following post:

"Now that's funny, you a severely biased spewer of fake news stories "found them to be free of bias in all cases" ? lol You wouldn't know the difference between fake news and the truth if it bit you in the @%$$."

And this personal and insulting attack on a psychologist who is a member of HP: "Sad that your "clients" cannot possibly get the help they need from you." and "As a counselor, seems like you mess people up vs. help them if this is the type of "counseling" you give. A sad state for your profession."

"Making personal attacks" is supposed to be against the rules. But it seems worse than ever.

Fewer and fewer people are posting anything in Answers or Forums. Some people have openly said they have quit posting because of the abuse and the fact that it isn't being stopped.

Your thoughts?

1. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Recently the staff removed several personal attacks made against me on one of those trump hubs. The staff were very thorough.
      Sometimes I've noticed they seem to miss it but after I sent an email with all the details they got onto it.
      It has to be a thoroughly documented complaint with links, cut and paste of the comment, etc.
      The "report" button doesn't seem to get it done. Try emailing.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have had mixed results with both emailing and using the report button. But I will rely on both going forward. Thanks.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The problem with dealing with people online is that you really don't know who they are.  That being the case, it's probably best to consider the source of the personal attacks because they most likely are full of self hatred an spewing it on others because they can hide behind the internet.  I always think about it in terms of that person looking at himself in the mirror and spewing his hatred on himself.  It doesn't make the problem stop, but the image certainly is a powerful one.

By all means email the team with the details. Do it again if necessary.  We don't need this type of negative behavior on this site, and thank goodness it's pretty rare.

1. profile image0

I agree. Unfortunately, it is becoming less rare.

2. Zaharamontez7118 profile image58
        Zaharamontez7118posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah!

3. Tinsky profile image92
      Tinskyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As someone who suffers from high anxiety, I avoid the topical forums for this reason. From my reading experience on the topical forums, many of the discussions seem to deliberately goad emotional responses and petty arguments. I haven't had the same experience from questions, though I haven't really read many of these either in the last year or so.

Yes, it should be moderated quickly, especially as there is reference to harassment of authors being an unacceptable behaviour in HubPages T & C.

I'm not sure how it is in the States, but in Australia we have internet bullying laws now that make personal harassment a criminal offence. It is negative behaviour that should be taken seriously.

As it has been quiet on HP over the last week. I would also suspect that staff may be on vacation as Marissa suggests, although it would be nice to have someone monitoring this type of behaviour around the clock regardless of downtime. The longer it's visible, the more anxiety it is likely to create.

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

i must say, it is unculture for a writer to call another an idiot.

No matter how enrage a person is, it is impolite to call idiot, we are all culture and well educated people at HP.

Respect one another to deserve respect

1. profile image0

I agree, Peach Purple.

My wife is the only person who can call me an idiot.  smile

5. Dean Traylor profile image93
      Dean Traylorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Now that's funny, you a severely biased spewer of fake news stories "found them to be free of bias in all cases" ? lol You wouldn't know the difference between fake news and the truth if it bit you in the @%$$."

That writing style is familiar. If I'm correct, I called that person an idiot after he made a few ignorant and personal attacks against me. I ended up being banned for five days, despite the stuff he was stating.

1. profile image0

LOL. I agree, there is no mistaking that writing style or the temperament. I can't blame anyone for losing their patience with that person, who really likes to pile on the abuse.

I try to restrain myself, but sometimes I fight back because bullies only seem to step up the attacks if people don't fight back. I also admit I have said things that I regret. But I would much rather have civil discussions.

1. PhoenixV profile image64
          PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/Vincenzo_Camuccini_-_La_morte_di_Cesare.jpg

6. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi promisem,

This is definitely not ok. Many of the HubPages Mods have been off on holiday vacation during Christmas week and for New Year's. It is likely we simply haven't gotten to your report yet.

I've pinged the Mods to look at your report ASAP. Very sorry for the delay and thank you for being patient with us.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the response, Christy. I understand that holidays can leave a site short of staff.

I'm obviously concerned that such postings that stay live for too long can bring some unpleasant results.

7. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Personal attacks are not allowed in the Forums, Answers or anywhere else on HubPages. If you flag a forum post make sure you flag the specific comment that is offensive. If you flag a post in Answers please provide the Hubber's username and the offensive comment  in the 'explanation' box.

Please email team@hubpages.com with a link to where you saw this post and it will be reviewed.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
        TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

With due respect, everytime I open up hubpages, the 'best' questions appear to be those who denigrate liberals. This might be part of American culture, but it is problematic and it shouldn't be like that.

1. profile image0

I agree, Tess. It has sadly become a major part of our culture, and I'm a right of center independent.

On a related note, I'm curious why the "anyone who thinks that way is an idiot" was not removed. Coincidentally, it targeted someone who was either a moderate or liberal.

8. Zaharamontez7118 profile image58

Fresh air and deep breathes. Turns out...the only person who can make a judgement call is oneself smile chin up

9. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've been called all sorts of things since joining HP. Does one need an advanced degree for it to matter?

1. Zaharamontez7118 profile image58

Very well worded! Personally, i believe that i am treated how I allow others to treat me.  Practice paying no mind to those who dont matter for it is only waisted time and energy to oneself. Sad it may be, that others have hurtful inrentions; nonetheless, human nature will always have this. It is our reaction that means the most wink

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

It matters to me. Does that make me a lesser person?

Nothing will ever make any Being above or beneathe me. This is a not just a personal opinion, but a strong foundation to who I am. I was never raised to judge and life itself has shown me the beauty in everything. We are all unique in some way. We all have strengths and weaknesses instilled in us for some reason. I am not and never will be entitled to view someone as a lesser person.

10. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I personally believe that Hubpages has lost some pretty good writers as a result of the constant abuse on these pages. In addition, there is no block facility so one cannot block the people who consistantly do this. In addition, the titles of some of the questions are abusive and insulting to many readers. It is not only unpleasant, but unprofessional.

I find that my the hubpage which shows up the 'latest' and 'best' is consistently full of negative and questions and hubs abusively phrased.

I have no idea why hubpages thinks this is acceptable, but no professional or humane site would allow this.

I previously left hubpages because of it. I returned only because I had an account at Squidoo. However, in the interim, I have developed a thicker skin.

I seriously think that hubpages needs to look at this.

I started to read.  I hope I do not seem unprofessional with an outlet i see as art to reply what my fingers fly around to say.  I believe what my eyes glanced at was someone who left, then came back just to find fault in the place already deemed as negative and whatnot.  Anyway, i meant to say it can always be looked at in a happy way. ^^^?

2. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 7 years ago

Hubpages staff ought to screening for trolls and closing their accounts. Personal attacks are inexcusable and could amount to libel in some instances.

1. profile image0

Excellent point. In my line of work, lawyers said a site wasn't legally responsible for non-staff forum posterings unless it was informed of the offense.

If that's a correct legal stance -- and these lawyers specialized in media law -- then the risk of losing a lawsuit goes up if a site ignores a warning.

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

Personally, IMHO, these types of messages don't bother me much. They are just typed words in cyberspace. Sticks and stones and all that.

I think staff have better things to do than babysit adults who get their feelings hurt when they get in disagreements with each other online.

I'm not saying this kind of behavior is just fine and dandy; I just don't think adults should get so upset about an anonymous person in cyberspace calling them a name or disagreeing with them, or that HP resources should be prioritized for such trivial issues.

You have the power to ignore these comments, or to call out the commenter for resorting to name-calling because they are unable to debate their topic. Perhaps they do not have the mental faculties to engage in proper debate, or perhaps the position they take is a poor one and it cannot be successfully defended. Either way, you win and they lose.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but honestly, it is the holidays, staff is scarce, and even during the times staff is present in full force, I think they surely have better things to do than worry about online bickering and insults.

1. profile image0

Thanks for a different perspective. You are a rare person if you can ignore being called an idiot. I try to turn the other cheek, but sometimes they go too far and I just shoot back.

As Glenis points out, some of these comments also rise to libel and can result in lawsuits. A court doesn't care if it's a holiday week.

Should people be required to follow the HP rules of behavior? If they don't have to follow the rules, then I believe HP should remove the rules.

I also believe this kind of behavior is damaging to the site's reputation.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1

JFC

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Five days later, it's still there.

Five days ago was Christmas.  You think the mods spent time on a major holiday playing nanny to bunch of childish adults?  Santa has made a note of it and will disburse lumps of coal as appropriate next year so don't worry about it.

1. profile image0

I was referring to Monday after Christmas. They have had plenty of time since then to act on it.

I suggest you read up on libel. You won't make any money writing for a site that gets sued into bankruptcy like Gawker.

Your sarcasm aside, do you believe it is OK or not to insult and libel people on HP? Should the site have rules of behavior and should we be required to follow those rules?

5. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 7 years ago

It's the internet.  Everyone calls each other horrible names every second of every day.  I've been called far worse.

It doesn't offend me.  We are all idiots in some way.

However, you could find yourself banned.  So I would suggest against it.

1. profile image0

I don't plan to call anyone an idiot. I do plan to cut way back on my forum and answer activity like many others.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I suspect manpower is much reduced over the Christmas vacation, and let's face it, HubPages is not heavily staffed at the best of times.  So I would not draw any conclusions from actions taken or not taken between Christmas and New Year.

7. Nicole Welton profile image51
    Nicole Weltonposted 7 years ago

I would say there is so much going on in the world right now and not enough peace.  Give yourself a break, and put those comments away from your mind.  It seems if you report it, then you have done all that you are able to.  Acknowledge even mentally unstable and cold people have access to internet.  Think about how teens used to prank call, then imagine who all could be leaving those comments.  You may very well be having a verbal assault from a ten year old these days.

8. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

I agree, Nicole. Although I do not condone bad behavior and name-calling, and am glad that HubPages has a policy against it, a person can gain a good amount of peace in their life by learning not to let such silly things as internet name-calling and disagreements get to them.

There is a term I have run across on the internet called "chimping out." "Chimping out" is the desired result some internet name-callers are trolling for. They troll a person just to see how long it takes for that person to "chimp out" -- in other words, throw a hissy fit about being called a name by an anonymous person on the internet, who as you point out, is possibly in grade school or middle school. The troll sits back and gets a good laugh, feeling like a puppet master who is yanking the target's strings, controlling him (which, if the target chimps out, they sort of are). If the troll's target doesn't provide the desired result, and instead either ignores the troll completely or states their case logically, calmly and succinctly, the troll will eventually leave to find a more entertaining target with a "high chimp factor."

1. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have to point out that if you don't report hate speech to hp they'll hold it against you. It is HP rules to report such behaviour. If we want to belong to the hp community we are doing a disservice not to immediately report such trump like behaviour.

9. asifahsankhan profile image61
    asifahsankhanposted 7 years ago

I think it's never ok to call someone an "Idiot" (or any of it's synonyms)

Here or anywhere.

Just saying.... (for society's sake and of course for humanity)

Thanks for bringing that up by the way. Cheers. smile

1. profile image0

Thanks for your support!

1. asifahsankhan profile image61
        asifahsankhanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Anytime... smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)