What do you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

When a fellow hubber leaves you a comment on a hub that says

I deleted the comment, but feel it was highly inappropriate, and I'm slightly offended by it.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about them.
      If you want a good laugh, have a look at my Renegade Iniversity hub, and read some of the comments. I got lots of free psychoanalysis because I suggested that they were spamming hubpages with their "attraction marketing" posts.

2. Pamda Man profile image57
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you get offended so easily, then you probably will fail in life. Really, there's lots of freaks out there that will try to offend you because they find it amusing. Try to ignore them. If you can handle it, don't delete it. Other commentors will find him stupid. If you can't handle it, then delete it and I will watch at the side how you try to succeed in life.

Panda Man

3. soni2006 profile image76
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Whitney. I have been through the same thing and even worse. Do you know a few days back, a hubber left me a comment which was full of abusive words, that hubber is an Indian and used Hindi as the medium for abusing me but I did not took it to my heart and deleted the comment thereon and proceeded towards creating my next hub. Do you know why??? because I take this as something positive. I know that these things happen when you become popular or something. It is the jealousy and hatred for me which is expressed by that person, so I am happy with it. I am popular.....

On the other way round, I understand the sense of dissatisfaction these types of comments create in our mind but God has made the world with bad and good people so it is better to ignore the bad ones.

Be happy and enjoy hubbing. You are a great hubber and I admire your work. Best of luck. May God bless you. B+ always just like you have been.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

I would laugh and respond, "Really nothing other than leaving an inane comment on a hub about toasters to do? And you think I have problems....... lol

1. Pamda Man profile image57

Then they will keep on posting negative comments until you go insane. Really, just ignore them.

2. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would second that! Sounds like someone has some animosity going on. Possibly the same type who comes in the forums after two weeks of hubbing, bashing the site and any hubbers who seem to be popular and/or making money. What the .... is this person doing reading about toasters if they've no interest in doing so..? ..and to take the extra time to leave a snotty comment? Problems, indeed!

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I've had the odd silly waste of time comment. I delete, as you have.

Ignore them - and forget about it. People do such things because they can.

3. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

It is inappropriate and rude.  I am afraid a few bad apples are beginning to really cheapen the integrity of this site.  There are other sites for these people to go to vent.  I guess writing a cheap-shot is better than them kicking their dog.  Don't take it seriously.

1. goodfriendiam profile image60
      goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree davinagirl13, someone more then likely paid them an unkindly remark, and he not knowing how else to get rid of his own feelings of being hurt, paid it forward. having nothing to do with you personally.

4. Whitney05 profile image83

I ended up emailing him. Asked him if he didn't have anything to say other than telling me that I have problems, then please do not comment, as his comment offended me. Also let him know that the hub is a part of a small theme I've been working on, and that I have many ideas that I'm not limiting myself to one topic or niche. I was nice and not rude.

It may have been a waste of time to email him, but I really don't understand why someone would be so rude. I don't go and tell people how they have issues for putting hubs that have subjects that I don't agree with, nor do I tell people that their hub topic sucks and is a waste of time to have written about. Because for lack of better words, that's what I feel he told me.

I am not taking it to heart, but dangit it really did offend me.

5. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I will keep the comment if I find that the comment reflects at least 25% of the reality about my hub,otherwise I would delete it.

Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

True and I usually leave comments that aren't spammy, low quality (being one or two words or random letters no substance), rude/attackful, etc, but if the comment just says you have problems why write about toasters? Why leave it.

I went ahead and checked out his hubs, and left a comment on one, answering the questions he had within the hub about hubbing. Figured maybe if I'm nice to him, he'll just leave me alone since he doesn't like my topics.

6. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Some people do lack courteousness and manners...

Its not just comments on a hub... People say sh*t all the time here on forums.

Today a hubber named kmackey32 who is quite active on forums posted this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18211 which tells about how she came across a couple of such people.

Wonder if recession is doing this to people as they are increasing in numbers quickly.

7. Whitney05 profile image83

Eric, I don't understand why some people leave comments. If it's not productive, why post the comment. If you have a major problem with the hub or topic, email the person or just drop it. I don't understand. So do you normally just leave comments like those?

8. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Whitney seems he really did rattle you. That's his opinion, nothing more. Look at the hundreds and hundreds of positive comments you've received.

I have never left a non-productive comment plus I'm not mean. Which is likely the problem. So you wrote about a toaster. I've written about a Dragon and a Zombie. I write in the main for me - so I don't really worry too much when someone doesn't like what I've written.

You're successful, you've done well and will continue to do so. Bugger him/them smile

9. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Yes whitney, I leave all the comments that are made on my hubs - and make comments back as appropriate.
    Mostly I just ignore them though. By leaving the comments other hubbers can also see them, and form their own opinion of the person who posted them.

About the only ones I haven't approved were a series of comments totalling over 6,000 words  that were posted at the bottom of the Renegaqde hub. These were mainly promotional for R.U, so I didn't approve them. I left a clear invitation as to what I would approve, but apparently sticking to the topic was not attractive to them.

And as anyone who has watched Red Dwarf can tell you, toasters can be very funny smile

10. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Whitney, you are giving way too much energy to this person.  They have been discourteous, but that is their problem.  Move on and use that energy in a more productive way to you - write more great Hubs. Write about what you want to write about - personally I like toasters! smile

11. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Personally I would name him Whitney but then the Cabin Girl is a bitch. How he could say that about your toaster hub when he writes about collecting Quarters and Little Rocks out of a Pool is a joke.

I know you didnt name him, but shucks I am such a bitch I will smile

http://hubpages.com/profile/gurgel1

Oh no... and now everyone will start flaming him....

1. profile image49
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear SpellCheckers great smile

Who's SpellCheckers?

1. profile image49
            CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who nose ?

???? Lol. You are funny.

12. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hey Whitney, smile smile girly. You are successful at what you do and you write fabulous. There will always be people that will hate and envy what you have and your abilities that they don't. They will attack whether direct or indirectly. Just laugh as MK has pointed out, it's inane. wink

13. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

Hmmm....I think when you put any work "out there" for people to see you are subjecting yourself to comment...rather positive or malicious.

Fortunately (and sometimes unfortunately) people have the right to an opinion and sometimes feel the need to share said opinion in an improper or childish manner. Why? Who knows....maybe they have incontinence issues...balloon fetishes....I digress...

Some people will support what you do...some people will not...and all have a certain manner of expressing themselves in regards to this subject. Perhaps I am numb to it....or it does not effect me...but the best advice I can offer is to delete the comment if you feel it is necessary and move on. To respond is only feeding into most negative people's desire to prompt an argument.

Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the point. If you think I have a problem writing about toasters, then why did you even read it, if you think it's pointless to write about toasters?

I'm not worried about those who support me and those who don't. I just think if you're going to leave a comment let it be constructive. I don't even care if you don't agree with what I'm saying, just let it be constructive. For example, if I said that toaster A is the best and toaster C should be melted to the ground, and you believe the other way around, then by all means say so, but say so constructively and not "you suck and have the wrong opinion."

1. candice5 profile image58
        candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whitney Hi just remember you have the Higher Hubscore, Smile and think what a Jerk, works for me.

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

If they're not crude I just post them.  I got a "whatever" once and have had a few similar to that.  If someone wants to say something inane I figure, "let him".  They may be hiding behind a screen name, but it doesn't make them look any less like morons.

15. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

hmm ya know the other day I got a comment on my hub about looking young saying, I looked like I was FOURTY. I think some people get off being rude to others. Guess it makes them feel happy or something.

I also report them as spam before I erase them. I heard if alot of people report the same person as spam they get kicked of the site...

16. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I realize that comments can be hurtful, some are only careless, but some intentionally so.

You are receiving some excellent advice. I think most of us have received negative comments, but if we go through life reacting to someone else's ill nature, then they have succeeded in what they set out to do - upsetting you (or upsetting someone) - and you are giving them way too much of your time and emotion.

I will allow most comments that are not profane, unless they are personal attacks and have nothing to do with the hub. They are, after all, only someone's opinion, and they will look foolish for their remarks...not me wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)