A guy insulted my intelligence

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

While I was sleeping last night, a John Doe wrote this on my comments page. Luckily, I kept it.

Is it true? Do I write like a fourth grader? What do you guys think?

1. EricFarmer8x profile image95
      EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't worry too much about one anonymous comment.

2. Coffeequeeen profile image83
      Coffeequeeenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, coming on the forums and complaining about the comment won't really solve matters.  Like some of the other have already said, just delete it.  smile

3. Readmikenow profile image95
      Readmikenowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ivan, I can tell you from personal experience, if you're going to write something and put it out to the public, you're going to get criticism.  You will get people who insult your intelligence, politics, lifestyle, hair, eye color and more.  It goes with the territory.  I've developed some thick skin over the years.  I suppose you can't write something and believe only good things will be said about it.  Never let them get you to a point where you stop writing and communicating.  Then, they've won.  I hope this makes you even more determined to write.

4. faith-hope-love profile image71
      faith-hope-loveposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ivan, some people like to build their own ego by doing their utmost to tear others down. It is not an act of grace to do this and in my books says more about one doing it than it does of the person they are trying to victimise. My advice is to ignore Him or Her and delete the comment.. It really isn't worth the words that they have wasted. Nor is it worth your time giving thought or worry to them. In the end those words will return to them and the bite will be huge. As a writer you will find that there are a myriad of folks ready to criticise and they have no clue on what they are saying. They just feel gratified after they have made these inane and unfair comments. Over many years I have felt the sting of a lot of Comments, like that,, even mainstream. Look at where they come from and keep on. keep on writing. As Churhhill said; (Never! Never! Never Give up!..)  So don'T Quit.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Why keep that comment?  Just delete it.  Your write on contentious topics, your comments are going to be a trollfest.

3. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

He has a name. I did not mention his name because I didn't want to call him out. That's why I called him a John Doe.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We all get comments we don't like. It means you wrote something that sparked a reaction. That's what writers want.

Delete it and forget it.

1. profile image0
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, theraggededge. I'm not deleting that comment. I'm keeping that comment because I want some controversy into my article. Also, I know that this writer is making me want to have a word fight with him, but I won't. He won't penetrate my professional side. He is a Trumpist who doesn't understand my writing. Most of you do. Even my critics understand my writing.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You should only court controversy if you can ignore insults.  The two go together.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right, Ivan.  Let his comment stand, but ignore him.

2. profile image0
        Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

His name is Jeff Vickery. You can find him in the comments section of my recent article, which is above my SoapBoxie Article.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

I agree.  Especially, if they can't declare who they are. No big deal. It happens.

5. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 6 years ago

If you are going to write controversial political articles you'd better be prepared to get these kinds of comments. If your skin isn't thick enough, don't write them.

I agree with the others. If you feel the comment is out of line, delete it.  Or don't. It's up to you. If you are looking to provoke a reaction, it appears you've gotten one.

But it's kind of bad form to bring a problem with a reader to the forum, post their comment and mention them by name.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

Honestly on a scale of 1-10 on troll comments, that's probably one of the nicer ones I've seen especially if it's tied to a political article.

Personally I would keep it, I don't mind some controversy and criticism as long as it's within limits.

7. Dunbar Green profile image82
    Dunbar Greenposted 6 years ago

psycheskinner, thank you for that line, "You should only court controversy if you can ignore insults." If you don't mind, I will use it from now on.

8. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago

I read once that the majority of the public read at a 4th grade level. So it is a compliment. Someone several years back said most writers on Hubpages write at a 4th grade level. She was saying she was superior to most writers here. Just ignore it. When you write online you need to be tough when it comes to insults.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I read your article. I agree, but yes no doubt you'll inflame Trump's followers. It is well written by the way. He's just trying to hit back.

9. Mamerto profile image91
    Mamertoposted 6 years ago

Hi Ivan! I write a lot of anime articles, and anime fans could be vile, immature and oversensitive. Not all of them are like that and you could find a lot of nice people, but expect to stumble upon a bunch of angry and anti social characters that will troll your hub. I mean you won't believe how easy it is to offend a weeb! And when they did and dared to troll my hub, I will just delete their comment and move on. I want their views and not their rage. And the fact that you offended a troll means you write well.

PS. In the Philippines you will get more than hate comments if you offend a political fanboy. Overly fanatic followers of our president will stalk your page, and give you death threats.

10. Khaleesi18 profile image59
    Khaleesi18posted 6 years ago

I read your article, be happy he actually complimented you !

11. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

Ah, don't let it get to you!! I get nasty comments a lot and all I do is thank them in my head because they just helped me earn some money by clicking. Yay!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, if the comments get too derogatory, all one has to do is.......DELETE!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)