Why don't Men Dance?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Why don't Men Dance?

Discuss the use of body language in dance between men and women.

2. icewave5 profile image61
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

Men usually dance, but if they don't they probaly too embarrassed.

3. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Who says men don't dance. They dance and in fact love dancing. Actually things like dancing and singing depends on a person's nature. If a person is cool and confident, he/she will dance and if the person is rigid and stubborn, no one can move him/her for dancing.

If we talk about body language in dance, I agree that men are strong muscularly and their body is rigid whereas in case of women, their bodies are flexible, so if a person is flexible, he/she will dance well than a person with rigid body.

Besides these two points I have mentioned above, there are a lot of factors which influence this like mood, emotions, happiness, etc.

4. RobertPalmer profile image60
    RobertPalmerposted 14 years ago

I've seen plenty of men dance. 

I don't. 

Why?  Because I've never really learned.  I was socialized to think that men who dance too well are effeminate and vane whereas guys who maybe danced without knowing how where regular guys.  They could always blame their lack of coordination on the fact that their wife "dragged" them onto the dance floor.

Also, I think when a man (speaking of a man who doesn't dance) is on the floor dancing with a woman (most of whom I've seen actually have some skill) the man feels like an idiot because the woman is showing him up even if all she is doing is swinging her hips to the beat.

Men who don't dance tend to forget about the lower half of their bodies (except for the oddly inappropriate pelvic thrust.)  It's almost as if they feel all of the action must take place in their upper bodies or the world will end.

In the end, it boils down to practice--just like anything else.  For a while I was taking line dancing lessons (my mother’s idea, not mine.)  I actually learned enough to do the Electric Slide without looking like a complete horses behind. 

If you want to teach a man to dance, either take them someplace where there aren't any other men around or take them someplace where there are tons of men learning to dance.  In the first scenario they'll get loosened up and maybe try to dance because there isn't anyone around to make fun of them.  In the second, they'll see it's okay to look like an arthritic mannequin having a seizure as lopng as they are having fun and learning something.

5. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I can say for me (as a man) the reason why I do not dance I do not want to look like a fool! Let's put it like this ladies have class and can dance with class us men most of the time do not have class and grace (on a dance floor)!

6. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I love to dance.  I met my wife on the dance floor.  As I remember the floor was rather crowded with other couples, men and women couples. Everytime we went dancing after that the dance floor contained men and women couples.  Not only do I dance I can to splits.
    Young men are a bit nervous about dancing I guess.  They just have to remember the old Billy Joel line from Keeping the Faith, "I learned I could dance and still look tough anyway."

7. nightlymistress profile image60
    nightlymistressposted 14 years ago

some men i guess are not comfortable moving around in that way.
    Whereas women can naturally just move because we are seductive creatures. Men are masculine. I guess they would feel rather silly.maybe they dont feel as if they have confidence or grace. I cant speak for the men, because i am a woman. With all my experiences, i can tell you that is the information i have gathered.

8. BkCreative profile image68
    BkCreativeposted 14 years ago

Hello Dame Scribe,

Please see my article here on hub pages entitled "Why Won't Men Dance?" - it's getting a lot of fun responses.

I think you might enjoy it. Please do leave a comment and tell me what you think,

Thanks!
    BkCreative

9. profile image0
    onadateposted 14 years ago

Men dance.  And the reason a man who dances is so hard to find is because a really lucky woman has found him and hidden him far away from all other women so she can keep him all to herself.  Just kidding. Men who dance are treasured.

10. profile image0
    margareteposted 14 years ago

Most men are shy to dance in open , their bedrooms are their ballrooms

11. DanceSport Place profile image61
    DanceSport Placeposted 14 years ago

Men do enjoy dancing, but often what holds them back is their fear of looking bad. Men know that most women are impressed by a guy who can dance, and many women share the fantasy of having a wonderful partner whisk them around the floor. So, when the average guy who has not danced before encounters an opportunity to dance, he wants to do it well!
    As the leader, the man has a lot of the responsibility to make the woman, as well as himself, look good. Many men who are getting their feet wet on the dance floor are turned off to continuing if their partner becomes impatient and starts to lead. If a lady wants her man to learn to dance, she must be patient, encouraging and above all, support his role as the leader by letting him learn to do it.
    For all the guys out there who are self conscious about dancing, keep in mind that dance is a physical activity that requires balance, timing, and coordination. If a man has done sports before, relating dancing to his previous athletic experience will help him achieve progress faster and realize that the movement in dance is something he has the capacity to do.
    Once a man breaks through the initial fears of dancing, he'll find that the male dancer is strong, athletic, popular and having a great time!

12. Krisy Kay profile image58
    Krisy Kayposted 14 years ago

I think you should rephrase the question, "Why don't men that I know dance?" There are plenty of girls and guys out there who like to dance.

13. R P Chapman profile image59
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

I dance all the time, love to get lost in the music. I'm sure it's either hilarious or grotesque to look at depending on whether you find such abhorations funny or not!

14. DatingDragons profile image59
    DatingDragonsposted 14 years ago

in my experience it is largely to do with their fear of embarrassment.  unlike us girls men rarely dance in the presence of their bedroom or with their friends.

15. carolina muscle profile image69
    carolina muscleposted 14 years ago

I dunno why other men don't, but I don't because when I dance I move like a wounded duck.   quack.

16. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 13 years ago

In southern countries in europe men do dance. In colder climates they have to get drunk before losing their inhibitions.

17. outdoorsguy profile image60
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

till I moved out past the sticks and into the forest.  I used to go dancing at least three times a week.. Tango's, salsa, jitterbug, waltzing, Two stepping.  I even learned Irish Jigs.  LOL. 

its a joy when you reach a point where you movements flow with the music, and your partner reads you so well she can follow you with ease.

it even helped me with martial arts LOL.    guys that dont dance are missing out on a great exercise and a great way to get to know some one.

18. profile image49
    a_wondererposted 13 years ago

I will not speak for others, my reasons are simple:

1. I hate not knowing what I'm doing. That other people may be     watching is irrelevant, I'm my own judge and  I'm harsh. Getting onto a dance floor ranks very high on my list of frightening experiences. Before you ask, that is just below actual life threatening events.

2. I cannot hear rhythm.  So don't tell me to "let the music move you."

19. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

Many men prefer to do their sweating playing basketball, football, etc., with their buds, or in the weight room -- or in the bedroom (horizontal tango).

That being said, it can be enjoyable if with GOOD partners, AND if they know what they are doing, which requires lessons.

Most women seem to have this romanticized view from old Fred Astaire Ginger Rogers movies, or old John Travolta or Patrick Swazey movies.

20. puebloman profile image60
    pueblomanposted 13 years ago

what a ridiculous question! Everybody dances! What sort of men do you hang out with?

21. Kevin Peter profile image60
    Kevin Peterposted 13 years ago

who said men don’t dance, he does dance in varieties of music

22. The Academy profile image60
    The Academyposted 13 years ago

Because when we do, this happens: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/839843/

23. rockcitydance profile image61
    rockcitydanceposted 11 years ago

Men do dance. We have two All Boys Hip Hop Dance classes that are VERY popular.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)