How am I supposed to believe, hear and talk to someone if I don't know they exis

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. volleyballsweetie profile image58
    volleyballsweetieposted 14 years ago

How am I supposed to believe, hear and talk to someone if I don't know they exist or not?

I'm really wanting to become a Christian but i don't fully believe or understand everything that Christians do. I'm very confused about this and would appreciate any advice or statements...

2. steffsings profile image65
    steffsingsposted 14 years ago

Nothing worse than answering a question with another question right??? Sorry... but here goes.

How do I know the picture on the profile (up top & to the left) is really you and not just one you downloaded-then-uploaded from google pics to confuse me?

How can i believe there really is another individual reading this on the other side of 'this-here-computing machine', not an android made to look like a human?

How do I know when i close my eyes that the world won't drastically change before I open them again - then I'll be lost & confused?

Silly you say? NO absolutely NOT! Nearly everything in life requires Huge Commitments of faith - Just living in the State of California alone requires Unbelieveable amounts of it - sink holes, earthquakes and the like..

Just to sit on the on my rickety couch, trusting that I won't be the straw that broke the Camels back only to wind up on the floor takes a small measure of faith - we ALL naturally have it in us placed their long long ago - Sooooooo.....

(I'm certain DesCarte, St. Augsutine, and the like would roll in their graves because of my flimsy 'Humanistic' explaination for faith, but we have to start somewhere dont we? [sorry, another question!]... )

Ask - Seek - and You WILL find! Not me though.. - Ask God, Believe it - He'll answer, then wait for it.... it's on the way.

3. Born Again 05 profile image77
    Born Again 05posted 14 years ago

The fact that you want to believe is an indication that you are seeking Him and He is already tugging at your heart. Find a quiet place and spend some time alone with Him in prayer. Romans 10:10 says, "For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."  All of us are born sinners. The Bible tells us that the wages of sin is death or eternal separation from God. But God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, Jesus, to die as a sacrifice for our sin. When we believe in what He did for us and repent of our sin, we are forgiven and enter into a personal relationship with Him. If possible, find a Christ centered BIble teaching church in your area and begin attending. Also get yourself  a good study BibIe and read it every day. I am a born again Christian. I've written 9 hubs on how God is working in my life and how I came to know Him.  Feel free to check them out and contact me with any questions you may have. I'd love to see you come to know the Lord. Praying for you!

4. Lee Boolean profile image59
    Lee Booleanposted 14 years ago

You should certainly not take this issue lightly, its natural to wonder if there is someone listening or helping you, but please don't fall into the trap of being brainwashed. Read the bible if you want, but be objective. Also, read "the emperors new clothes" a classic fairy tale and be sure whatever you decide is not the opinion of others. There are warm fuzzy feelings in religion, but also in drugs, playing volleyball or doing with passion what you are good at. Don't let people brainwash you, even though its tempting to find all that salvation waiting for you... the down side is you'd have to die to find out if you were lied to. Think for yourself, and if you start hearing voices seek professional help.

Before I get spanked with the bible belt I would point out to to those with their scripture locked loaded and ready to just have a quick peek at the category this question is in.

5. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

Every choice or direction you choose to take in life should be considered, experienced as well as ......if you find yourself forcing yourself to accept or be apart of something and you are still confused, then you need step back and do some serious soul searching.  Yes we all make mistakes, as well as follow the masses due to pressure and acceptance, but it is for you to be smart and use common sense as well as logic regarding certain matters.  When you truly Love do you force yourself to do so, are you reckless with who you Love and if you are what are the repercussions.....regret, sadness, insecurity and more insecurity.  As for religion that is personal and you must know your reasons for wanting to be apart as well as believe in it.

6. EdG. profile image60
    EdG.posted 14 years ago

You must abandon your reason and logic. You must abandon the common standard of evidence for what people claim about life. Otherwise, there's really no way to be a true christian.

I recently heard an atheist say that a true skeptic is not someone who sets out immediately to disprove beliefs, but one who first endeavors to understand beliefs, and cannot. The more a skeptic learns about christianity, the more he/she will will find it intellectually repugnant.

If you want to become a christian and cannot, there is nothing wrong with you. If you wish to find a spiritually fulfilling philosophy that is lacking in supernatural hocus pocus then there are plenty of which to choose from and you can even invent your own. You don't need to be a christian to live a full and virtuous life and don't be swayed by those who condemn you as a sinner. You needn't fear hell and you shouldn't lust for heaven. Both are dangerous prospects.

7. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 14 years ago

Generally speaking, talking to someone who isn't there is considered a tad "crazy"; unless, of course, you are on a cell-phone.

Seriously, I doubt that every Christian belonging to a particular church believes every last tenet of that church. I know not every Catholic believes every last canon. I know not every Episcopal believes every last teaching. I know not every Mormon toes the line with church fathers.

It's rather like politics. You side with the party that comes closest to what you want or form your own.

8. GAWjr profile image60
    GAWjrposted 14 years ago

The thing you are looking for sounds as if you believe that god is something separate from yourself.  Once you realize that you are as much a part of "god" as he/she is of you, then you can let go of the ever popular dualistic type of religious thinking.  Just because Christianity is the most popular type of religion doesn't mean that's your last choice for finding purpose and meaning in your life.
    I could go on and on but, the fact that you are here now experiencing life is solid proof that you exist.  Now that you know that, it is unreasonable to believe that you will ever cease to exist.  Because we are dealing with an infinite amount of time, it's improbable for you to never have a continued experience of life.
    After reading your question I can see you are looking for belonging.  And, I am here to tell you that you do belong, to everything, because without you the whole world would be different.  Just as the wings of a butterfly cause an earthquake on the otherside of the world. 
    Ok, I'll stop here.  If anyone has questions about my answer, please contact me on hubpages and I will elaborate further.
    GAWjr

9. HappyHer profile image54
    HappyHerposted 14 years ago

Do you want to become a christian, or do you want to believe in God?  There is a difference you know.  God does not prescribe to any set religion, so you can be anything or nothing as far as religion goes, yet still have a relationship with God.  You do hear God, down deep inside you if you listen.  Ask a question, any question and then wait and "feel" for the answer.  The answer comes to you not in your head, but in  your heart or even in your gut (Ever heard of gut instincts?).  As far as belief, if you stop to think about it, there are tons of things you believe in but don't see yet, but you believe anyway.  It's not so different.  Keep your quest with your heart wide open and don't just listen to one type of christian, listen to many of them and see what feels the best for you.  You may find that God, or Goddess, or Spirit is more to your liking than a particular religion, or you may find a couple different religions that feel right for you.  Good luck on your journey!

10. Valarie King profile image62
    Valarie Kingposted 14 years ago

Honestly... you'll never know if god or any other higher being is real or not. This and other questions related to this, has me spinning around in circles as well. I've found that breath meditation helps. It's a exercise where all you do is sit in a comfortable position, clear your mind of everything, and focus on nothing but your breathing. Sounds weird I know, but it really helps relieve stress, at least for me it does.

11. topgunjager profile image59
    topgunjagerposted 14 years ago

Who cares about believing? We don't have to believe, all you have to do is look out there and see what's right or wrong for yourself. If God is the epitome of good, he wouldn't care if you believe in him or not, he'd just be happy you're doing good things in this life. If God was real i don't think the main purpose of us being here is to give him attention, it would be so we can love and take care of each other so we can be deserving to enter his kingdom, you know, "real important things". We focus on believing in God too much that we don't even do what matters anymore. I say have good intentions, act on them and then if there is a God, you'll meet him soon enough and if he doesn't want you in heaven because you didn't believe in him then screw him, who would want to live with a douche like that anyway. "Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking".

12. HOOWANTSTONO profile image60
    HOOWANTSTONOposted 14 years ago

It sounds crazy, but that is exactly what its about.....I quote from the Bible...Heb:11:1: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Say this verse to yourself over and over and see if your mind can make any sense of it.

Heb:11:3: Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

God is invisible because he is above. we are from below, and are subject to things above.

But your logic needs more info so your mental capabilities can begin to get a clear picture, then once this is done. You will suddenly notice that there is an invisible world and it changes your world day to day, for Good and Bad.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Lamb-of-God
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Undestand-Saved-by-Grace

13. thakuur profile image57
    thakuurposted 13 years ago

it is the will of God that you dont believe in God. you want to see God to believe. humans have too many disabelities like greed,haterade,anger,materialism,attachments to worldly belongings and so on ..... they are infinite. with so many impurities how can you feel to see God to believe it. you can see God only if you free yourself from all the bonds in this world and think completely of God. with all the impurities you can just bargen to believe God not see. relegion is just a belief, a faith you trust it is and if you dont it isant. so wait for right movement God will show you the path.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)