What it takes for $50 / month

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. PhilD41 profile image66
    PhilD41posted 14 years ago

Hey everyone.  First let me say that I am here for the joy of writing and sharing what I know with others. (Part of the reason I am not apt to beat a dead hours covered in another post. smile )  Writing is also as far from a full time job for me as dragon slaying.  However, I was curious how much it really took to make a few bucks a month at this.  I have ready many people saying that they didn't make anything until hitting around 20 hubs or so.  So, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Anyone making $50 or $100 a month (and doing this for fun / hobby)?
    2. How many hubs did you have before you saw any income?
    3. How often do you chose hub topics based on what income they might generate?
    4. Did you start here to make money or just for fun?

Okay, so this is just a newbie being curious.  The three hubs I have are averaging around 3-4 hours to write and put up.  I was just curious what the road ahead looked like for a little extra pocket change.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

There are people making over $1000 a month.

What it takes? I don't know yet and it will probably take me a few years until I do. But a lot of reading and practice with SEO/Keywords and a lot of hard work are certainly key ingredients.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

If it helps at all.... I wrote my first hub on 28th June 2009 (about 6 weeks) and have made about $15.

This month I am on course for earning about $20, I can assume that if I work at the same rate for another 12 weeks... then my monthly earnings would probably reach about $50 - $60 a month.

I have put a fair amount of effort into that though, and I know that I can still get a lot better. My first 45 hubs were written with very little SEO knowledge, I read a hub about SEO and my last 5 have been 'optimised' so to speak.

I cant remember what hub it was or who wrote it, but I recommend that you give it a look.

PhilD41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have read several on this subject.  I don't know how well I am doing at it, but I read them. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I seem to make more before I started fiddle fartin around...wish they just made it easier or something.

I guess it will make sense when I understand it better

4. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

WOW I havnt made that much yet, only about 8 bucks. You are doing very well!!

5. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

there's like, a million posts and hubs about this. It does take time, read Badcompany99's stuff. its pretty helpfull. there's lots more, cindyvine is pretty amazing too. I have made, about 90 cents, so clearly I am not makeing money. There are people who do, just look around some. there is a search option at the top of the page....good luck!!  smile

Thanks dennisematt, I will look up your recommendations.  I have read several articles but I am not sure I have ran into these.  I was also interested in a conversation with those on the forum as to how they got here and what their initial journey was like.  I have no ill conceived ideas that I will be making hundreds or thousands of dollars, nor do I really want to (my priorities are else where right now).  I guess I was just curious to find others that started for fun and managed to do as Mrvoodoo mentioned; combine fun and money.

6. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

(1) I've been here 4 months and in that time I've made $194 from Hubpages, which I'm quite happy with, and I know others have made more than that within the same time period.

(2) I can't remember but not many before I started seeing a few cents here and there.

(3) 90% of the time I'll have a quick poke about using the Adwords tool before writing a hub to see if there's money to be made, but I don't spend hours researching this.

(4) Money and fun, If possible I like to combine them both.

If you keep writing you'll make money, could be a little, could be a lot, as with many other hubbers I'm often surprised at which hubs get traffic and/or make money.

Good luck.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ooooops. Hey ther Mr.V!! sorry I forgot to mention you b4. your stuff is good too!!  smile how ya been?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey DM, thanks I wouldn't say it's good, but it's starting to pay , but not enough to slope off and retire on a tropical island yet though.

Good thanks, eating Pasta, chilling and downloading 'The Langoliers' from YouTube, been ages since I've seen that film, should be good.  How you doing?

1. profile image0
          dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am having a forbidden beer, waiting on a friend, and will have to go look up the Langoliers now. At hte risk of having people "ignore" me, cuz I am way off topic, I ma goign to try silently read soem ohter stuff now.  smile thanks!!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
            Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

'I ma goign', don't be so hard on yourself, you're not a 'goign' at all. :p lol

Think that beers going to your head DM, hehe, but you're right people might get mighty cross if we high-jack this thread, enjoy your silent reading. smile

2. PhilD41 profile image66

smile  You are always welcome to be off topic in one of my threads.  After all, that is how conversations go isn't it.  Oh, I too would recommend "The Langoliers."  Very interesting idea, but then again, what does one expect from Steven King.

2. Kadmiels profile image52
      Kadmielsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good tips here as well thanks for shareing.. i am also starting to learn little by little.. so i might start to write for money but travel is so hard to get into lol so look for hubs that have good keyword knowledge as well as are fun for you to write see where it goes from there

7. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I've been here for 3 months and have made a total of:  $45.79.  It takes time, though.  But, I'm pleased with the start.  I saw income right away, pennies at first until I figured out all about keywords.  I came here for fun AND to make money.  I try to incorporate money making into all my hubs.  If I have an idea, I tweak it a little to make it keyword friendly.  I alwaays write about things I know, have a lot of knowledge about, and feel it's important to share.  I want to enjoy what I'm doing.

8. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Depending on your topics and the uniqueness of the topics, will depend on how much you make. Well, actually, it takes a lot, and patience is definitely needed in order to see any profit from this.

I think it took about 4 months or so for my first Adsense payout, but it's been monthly since then, more and more each month. It just takes time.

For some it will take nearly a year for the first payout, but others maybe a month.

There are a ton of threads on earning and how much people earn and how they got there. A search would lead you to several. You may want to check those out.

9. mommyfreelancer profile image75
    mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

I enjoy writing a lot. I joined up really to make money but I am having a lot of fun, and for now that is all I'm having smile

I've been here for 5 weeks and only made 60cents. I just write what I want to write, I don't even use those Adwords yet - I guess am stubborn smile

Interestingly enough, I can make hundreds of dollars in a day if I work at oDesk, or apply for other writing jobs elsewhere, but for now I want to build my portfolio here.

The next step for me now is how to optimize my hubs, make them revenue-generating. smile

Oops...guess I didn't answer any of your questions. smile

10. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Patience and hard work involving not only writing but picking the correct paying topic and studying seo, I wish you luck. In fact I don't because Luck has nothing to do with it, read the right people on here and heed their advice, the rest will come.

11. Treft profile image61
    Treftposted 14 years ago

how can you tell how much you have made?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)