It seems there are a number of very outspoken atheists on this site.Do you view

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. fred allen profile image61
    fred allenposted 14 years ago

It seems there are a number of very outspoken atheists on this site.Do you view this as one of your

primary reasons for being active on this site? Encouraging believers is a noble cause too but reaching the wandering soul is the heart of our Father. Do you become fan's of atheists?

2. Torch Harrison profile image68
    Torch Harrisonposted 14 years ago

I'm not an athiest, but I have many friends who are.  Speaking for myself, I'm not at Hubpages to bash those who want to believe in a particular religion...I certainly have never written a hub to that effect...but when people ask questions, I prefer give a straight answer.

You seem to be (and please correct me if I'm wrong) upset with the idea of athiest 'recruitment'.  I've noticed this trend among the religious over the years as athiests have become more outspoken and have stood up for what they percieve to be their rights.

Now tell me...why is it okay for a religious believer to 'recruit' souls so they can be 'saved', but it's not okay for an athiest to promote their views as well?  How could Hubpages, without censorship, give equal time to both viewpoints? 

I certainly would not use the word 'noble' in promoting either atheism or religion.  There's nothing noble about either position.

3. Apostle Jack profile image60
    Apostle Jackposted 14 years ago

I believe that a person has a right to believe anything
    that they desire to believe.
    I am just a messenger.I believe in speaking and letting
    God and the hearer commune the differience.

4. RevLady profile image60
    RevLadyposted 14 years ago

Speaking for myself, I am at hubpages because the Holy Spirit led me here and my writings are as He leads me to write. Whoever is drawn to my hubs, I believe the Lord sends for His purpose. Thus, if my writings are encouraging to believers (and the Lord knows we need it), it is for His glory. If, atheists, agnostics, etc., are drawn, it is still for His glory and purpose and for the “other’s” consideration.

Jesus did not go around seeking atheists, He just went about preaching the Good News of God and seekers of truth (which included some Publicans and sinners) were drawn to Him. God, through Jesus Christ, did not commission us to go to atheists, but into the world and preach, teach the Gospel. Seekers of truth will be drawn by God's power and new Christians will explore hubs they believe will help them mature in the faith. These are the ones most likely to benefit from Christian writings just as they were the ones who responded to Christ.

Furthermore, in addition to our supporting and encouraging each other as our Lord commanded, the followers of Christian hubs include not only mature Christians and theologians, but also many nominal Christians, Christians following false doctrines, those who are disguised as Christians, those who believe they are Christians but are not, those who just want to learn more about the faith, and baby Christians who need encouragement to grow beyond "baby food. There are far more individuals reading our hubs than those who leave a comment.

To my way of thinking, Christianity is brought into contempt, and Christians insulted, when it is forced upon those who have no appreciation for God’s truth and clearly do not desire it. As Jesus remarks in Matthew 7:6, the Word of God is too precious for that. Our zeal against sin must be guided by the common sense He endowed us with, and trying to persuade hardened scorners, to whom it will certainly have no beneficial affect can only result in exasperation and anger and damage the cause. God is not the Author of confusion.

Forever His,

5. fred allen profile image61
    fred allenposted 14 years ago

When I posed this question I thought it would be a private conversation between Rev Lady and myself. I am new to this site. The intent of my question was to learn about her motivation in particular. I simply made an observation about what I was seeing posted. There are many very well posed viewpoints in the perspectives of both believers and atheists. I was simply trying to ascertain whether or not she as a believer shied away from subscribing (by becomming a fan of some atheist writers) to learn more about why people believe what they believe.
    Many Christians isolate themselves from opposing points of view and when confronted with an opposing view many will take a hard line or even hostile stance against an opposing view. I wish to learn about all viewpoints and why people have them. If debate ensues because of disagreement, let the merits of each side speak for themselves.

6. terced ojos profile image61
    terced ojosposted 14 years ago

I am a Holy Spirit filled Christian as well but I had no leading from the Spirit to come into hubpages.  I discovered the site purely by accident.

God is not going to force anyone to choose him or even believe in him. 

We are directed not to argue with "atheists" or anyone for that matter with an opposing viewpoint.  I deliver a message if the individual or groups don't receive it or reject it I don't try to force it on them.

Hmmmm..."fans of atheists? I don't really know what that means.  I imagine I am the fan of many people some who have different religious backgrounds from my own.  I don't really view those relationships through a prism of "religiosity."

I can like, love and admire someone on other levels regardless of their spiritual background.

7. dabeaner profile image59
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

Atheists cannot recruit.  Atheists don't believe in some wacko Dog or religion to recruit to.  Only the busybody religionists try to recruit others to the crazy beliefs of whatever religion they happen to have been brainwashed into.

Me, I am a "born again atheist".  I was born an atheist, then brainwashed by culture and parents into belief.  Since I am intelligent, I have since renounced those beliefs, reverting to my birth status.  Hence my status as a "born again atheist".

I know that I am not going to deprogram any religious wackos.  I know the best that I can do is possibly p**** off a few.

Religion is evil.

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

I am a Christian but that is not the reason why I choose Hub Pages.  i had another account several years ago but canceled it because I didn't have the time because of my job and raising an autistic teenager.  I came back to Hub Pages because i like the site.  When I opened up a new account, I was in the middle of a Bible Study called Experiencing God and decided to make a hub about each chapter.  They are more personal hubs that i want to share, with the hope that it will builds somebody's faith.  They are not really intended to try to make a believer out of a non-believer but if one finds my hub interesting that is fine.

I notice that there are some atheists on this site, as well as people with different religions and backgrounds.  Some are honest and polite when they say they do not believe in God.  However, there are others who are on the ruder side, by mocking Christians-like calling us religious wackos and things like that.

Do I follow atheists?  I am not sure.  if I see hubs that are interesting to me then I follow the hubber, without reading their profile.

As I have been hubbing for the past few months, I realize that I have to have a variety.  I know that the majority of the non-Christians will not want to read my hubs.  Therefore, I have been including hubs on other topics as well as some of my creative writing ones-fantasy is my favorite Genre to write about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)