Can you tell me what causes depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. jagged81 profile image72
    jagged81posted 13 years ago

Can you tell me what causes depression?

2. michaelmalyon profile image54
    michaelmalyonposted 13 years ago

Depression occurs due to any combination of four things in your life. Only three of these are outside of your control. They are your environment, your back ground or bad life experiences, and family hystory of depression or the pressence of the gene. Research has proved that with sufficient exercise, a good diet, enough sleep, moderation, taking in enough water, getting enough sunlight, and a good relationship with God, depression can be overcome, despite the presence of the other three factors.

Yes, as the medical world likes to justly point out, it is a chemical inballance. And i'm not saying you don't need medical attention. This disease can drive you to suicide. I've had depression. But the chemical make up of your body is a direct result of your lifestyle. Please inbox me if you want more information

3. vrbmft profile image74
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

Perhaps the question is confusing because most of us think that cause means a logical A to B connection, and the fact is there probably is!  However, we tend to see ourselves as tough people and so we cannot believe that a particular A to B event could possibly cause so much distress. 

Some folks want to know if depression is a chemical imbalance.  Any and every chanage in the brain's chemistry beyond homeostasis is a chemical imbalance.  A belly laugh could be a chemical imbalance.

I suggest a person list every depressing thing that has ever happened to them.  Remember, there is a place in the brain, called the amygdala.  It processes and stores intense emotional experiences from seven months in utero, but we do not have conscious access to our amygdala.  So losing your father at age two could "cause" chronic depression unless we consciously take the time to grieve his death which we can do even years later.  Yes at age two, the loss of his voice, his smell, his touch will be devastating, you just won't know it, but your amygdala will and will continue to send those loss messages to your muscles..

In general, loss is the cause of depression.  So make a list of every loss in your life and ask people who know you if you have left anything out.  Remember too, depression is necessary to grieve losses.  Just don't want to get stuck there.

Getting beyond the intense emotional experience requires left and right hemispheric integration in the brain of both the emotions and the story line of the experience.

So talking, journaling, crying, screaming, exercising, getting a massage, a little EMDR therapy, are all ways to bring about left right hemispheric integration.  I know there are many hubs on this topic, so check them out as well.

4. Akanksha Lal profile image60
    Akanksha Lalposted 13 years ago

I agree with michaelmalyon. Genes as well as family background add to the tendency of depression. It varies from person to person.
    Past impressions contribute a lot to this tendency and one need not feel guilty about being depressed. Though, you can get out of it, if you decide to.
    Physical activity is an instant cure for depression. Also doing something creative, and doing something for others helps in curing depression.

5. J D Murrah profile image60
    J D Murrahposted 13 years ago

There are many causes of what we term 'depression'. It would be better to call it a depressed mood. Some of the causes include:

1. Chemical imbalances

2. Traumatic experiences

3. Genetic predisposition

4. Substance Abuse

5. Spiritual-based issues

6. Lack of stimulation

7. Poor diet and self-care

8. Toxic chemicals

9. Organic health problems

Some depressed moods are temporary while others are more long-lasting. The terms acute and chronic are often used when describing these moods. As with many disorders, questions arise as to which came first, the depressed mood or the chemical imbalance? Since depressed moods are often found with so many disorders, they have many possible causes.Knowing the cause is often the key to knowing how to remedy the depressed mood.

6. EnergyAdvisor profile image66
    EnergyAdvisorposted 13 years ago

In my opinion a depression is caused by yourself. I don't exactly agree on what michaelmalyon is saying "Depression occurs due to any combination of four things in your life. Only three of these are outside of your control. They are your environment, your back ground or bad life experiences, and family history of depression or the presence of the gene." This means that we do not take responsibility for those factors or for our actions. It's like when somebody offends you. It's your own decision on how to react to that. You can choose to feel offended or you choose not to. It's really the same with depressions. I once read a quote "we either make ourselves happy or miserable, the amount of work is the same."
    But I totally agree on the second part about exercise, drinking enough water, sunlight.
    I've written a Hub with all kinds of quotes http://hubpages.com/hub/Spiritual-Life-Enhancing-Quotes , take a look at it and just think about them for a while.

7. profile image0
    Always Greenerposted 13 years ago

No one knows exactly what *causes* depression; this is a well-documented fact with an abundance of supporting evidence. 

What *exacerbates* depression is another matter.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)