Do you think pursuing self-fulfillment is selfish?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 13 years ago

Do you think pursuing self-fulfillment is selfish?

I know sometimes pursuing our self-actualization means telling others "no", and they are likely to think we are being selfish. But is it more selfish to NOT try to be your best self and so maybe not create a great work or art, a new invention, bring about world peace, etc?

2. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

'To thine own self be true'
    Willy boy if my memory serves me well.

3. ExpandYourMind profile image68
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

I believe working on self actualization is as important as helping others -- as you point out, sometimes pushing oneselves toward achieving -- for example, the researcher who discovers the cure for cancer-- is able to foster a better world for themselves and themselves.

4. CoauthorU profile image73
    CoauthorUposted 13 years ago

I think it is a little selfish, but it becomes the definition of its darker meaning when the effort to pursue self-fulfillment means throwing someone else under the bus.

5. 50 Caliber profile image60
    50 Caliberposted 13 years ago

Nope, I do not! there will be no regrets as that shovel of dirt is thrown in my face. God gave me one life to live, and I share it in telling tales about it, but mostly staying to myself and asking my running partners, "did you see that?" They just bark for a piece of the jerky I'm chewing and I just laugh and move with my game of solitaire. If I forget my own birthday it's cool if I forget anyone elses. I get tied up in the moment I'm living in and pretty much go with the flow that makes me happy and live in the confines of the 10 commandments and the red letters in a version that does that of the recorded teachings of Christ. Sometimes I mess up, but I can be forgiven my bill has been paid in full.
    Live your life, be kind, respectful of others as they live theirs and fulfill your life in a way that you like and is a close to sin free as you are able.
    Die smiling knowing the next time it will be forever. God Bless, peace and love, 50

6. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 13 years ago

Self fulfillment should be achieved in life.

When we begin sacrificing others that we are responsible to and for, it becomes selfish.

7. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 13 years ago

No.  It's your life so live it.  You won't get a second chance and the clock is ticking down, not up.  Don't be afraid to say no.  To do otherwise is co-dependency in action.  Not good.  Shine while you're here and don't pay any attention to idiots.

8. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 13 years ago

You first have to be happy with your decisions in life in order to be happy with yourself.

9. Myra Tylor profile image61
    Myra Tylorposted 13 years ago

Frankly speaking, i do not thing pursuing the self-fulfillment is selfish. Instead, I think this is a demonstration of aspirant and self-value. And also we can make contribution to the society through self-fulfillment.

10. MelaniePhillibert profile image59
    MelaniePhillibertposted 13 years ago

I think when we are truly "self-fulfilled" we are happier and as a result are a better person to and for those closest to us. The anguish of wondering what we 'could have been" no longer clouds our emotions.

11. profile image0
    surlyoldcatposted 13 years ago

Absolutely not! Being open about working toward making yourself better by fulfilling your dreams is part of nature, and a part of our economy, when you look at it in a materialistic sense. We need people to dream.
    What IS selfish are these jerkweeds that live vicariously through their kids, then it is extremely selfish and self-serving. If there weren't parents like this, then maybe we wouldn't have people like Britney Spears, Linday Lohan, and those other puke celebrities polluting our news with idiot hijinks.

12. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 13 years ago

No way! All intelligent people are supposed to be self-actualized and to pursue their own fulfillment.  People who put themselves first are the happiest and other people are likely to respect them more than altruistic martyrs who put others first only to be disrespected and taken advantage of.  People clearly do not respect martyrs and deem them to be fools.   People respect selfish people more because they have a high regard for themselves.

I strongly believe that family size is very influential in the belief of pursuing self-fulfillment.  People from small families believe that pursuing self-fulfillment is necessary and normal and a part of human development. People from small families have a very high regard of self whereas people from large families tend to be "lost in the shuffle" and have little sense of self.  The oldest in a large family, especially daughters, are indoctrinated and taught to be martyrs and self-abnegating.  They tend to place themselves last and believe that placing themselves first is wrong.  As a result, many people from large families find self-fulfillment as an anethema.

People from large families clearly do not have a strong sense of individualization and have a group think mentality.   People from small famiilies are more likely to pursue avenues of self-development and self-fulfillment than do people from large families.   People from small families have a healthier sense of self whereas people from large families are taught to have a poor and diminished sense of self.

13. vveasey profile image70
    vveaseyposted 11 years ago

No it's not selfish to pursue self-fulfillment!
    Because if you don't fulfill yourself, you hurt your self and will never really be  yourself and may end up being someone else.

14. Peggasuse profile image82
    Peggasuseposted 10 years ago

I can't see anything selfish about trying to make yourself happy in this life.  Of course it depends are how you're doing to accomplish that. If you're taking drugs and getting drunk every night, then I can tell you right now, it's going to end badly.
    But that kind of behavior is just an escape anyway, from something you can't face.

Doing things that make you happy should be every person's goal in life.  Be yourself, go out into the world and do what you feel is best.  Don't worry about what anyone else says.

The worst that can happen is that you'll be wrong, and you'll just have to start over with another idea.  It doesn't matter.  Do what you're passionate about...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)