A couple is told push the button someone u dont know dies but u get 1 million Do

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Lady Summerset profile image72
    Lady Summersetposted 13 years ago

A couple is told push the button someone u dont know dies but u get 1 million Do u push the button?

In the movie "The Box" a couple is told by a stranger that they had 24-hours to decide as to whether or not they will push the button, causing the death of someone in the world that they did not know, and collect $1,000,000.  If they don't press the button, the stranger will come back, retrieve the box and make the offer to another couple.  Who do you think will press the button?  Husband or wife?

2. Sher Lessons profile image59
    Sher Lessonsposted 13 years ago

Absolutely not! No way I could live with myself if I made that choice. It would be nice to have money but not at that cost.

3. the clean life profile image69
    the clean lifeposted 13 years ago

For myself I would never push that button for any amount of money in the world. There is no price on a human life.

A life to me is worth more than any money.

4. John B Badd profile image60
    John B Baddposted 13 years ago

I have seen the movie so I already know who pushes the button.  I asked many people I knew if they would have pushed the button and I was astounded by how many said they would not. 
    Maybe humanity has more compassion than I gave them credit for.

5. Stina Caxe profile image81
    Stina Caxeposted 13 years ago

Not only would I never be responsible for someones death for any amount of money, but if I had a million dollars and I could save one persons life by giving it up, I would happily do that.

6. Shay Govara profile image61
    Shay Govaraposted 13 years ago

Personally, I would not push that button. Not for a billion dollars. I could never live with myself knowing someone died because I pushed that button.

I know a lot of people who would push that button though.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

No, never. I could not knowingly cause the death of anyone, even someone I will never meet.  It is the old moral dilemma; is it wrong if you don't get caught?  Yes, it is wrong and if my spouse could push the button when I couldn't--I'd have to leave him behind too.

8. dosburros profile image74
    dosburrosposted 13 years ago

Its an interesting exploration into the human mindset isnt it?
    It seems that the certain knowledge that someone will die brings out the humanitarian in all of us....yet for so many people other activities that may well have indirectly caused someones demise are so easily undertaken. Buying a diamond ring, filling the car with petrol etc etc

9. Tricia Barnes profile image60
    Tricia Barnesposted 13 years ago

Nooooo!!! Cause eventually the husband has to shoot Cameron in the heart,but personally I would never

10. B. Matter profile image61
    B. Matterposted 13 years ago

I would like to say no.  But, if I could pick the person and be able to go back in history and get rid of Hitler or someone else as evil, I may just go for it.

11. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

this is a movie? and your not kidding?.... wow,.... and i thought the premiss for the movie "saw" was f****d up!,...i'd give an answer to this but the fact that society dreamed up the question to begin with has me floored,... i'm pleased at all the "no", and "not under any circumstances" answers,.... but i'm scared to death that it'll become a new TV reality show soon,... as we journey one step closer to stephen kings "the running man",.... uhg,... i gota go get an drink and watch the state of the union adddress,.... it'll make me less nausiated.

12. pegasus525 profile image39
    pegasus525posted 13 years ago

for me,  i want two millions not one million. i'm joking of course. i never do such thing and i will never forgive myself this unknown person could be me with another couples.
    for the movie i will watch it indeed.

13. Kwazzy profile image60
    Kwazzyposted 13 years ago

yes. big_smile it is ONE MILLION DOLLARS, with that i can pay someone to hypnotize me so i dont even remember doing it! big_smile

14. tysanders profile image59
    tysandersposted 13 years ago

If you push the button someone dies and if you don't someone dies. I say go for it.

I love when people ask this question because everyone gives the answer that is politically correct. :-)

15. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 13 years ago

I would NOT push the button.
    How could I kill someone, regardless if I know them or not?  That someone is loved by someone -- and that "someone" is a SOMEONE - a LIFE!

16. niki deforrest profile image61
    niki deforrestposted 13 years ago

I may say for myself that I am human person as I am in Red Cross for many years. I have donated my blood many times and volunteered in many RC activities... So, no doubt that I would push that button for free big_smile

Just kidding... Human life is precious, but just ask yourself. If that person suffer and really want to end his painful life and you can help him by pushing that button... is that right thing to do?

17. profile image54
    kc123xxxposted 13 years ago

NO! Love beats money,because it wouldn't be as fun to enjoy your money with the person you love

18. jackavc profile image72
    jackavcposted 13 years ago

there is no way i would ever push that button and i have done some crazy things for money.  It is a terrible movie that should not have been released.  No wonder their are some screwballs on this earth.

19. BennyTheWriter profile image69
    BennyTheWriterposted 13 years ago

No, I wouldn't  :-)  And not because that's the politically correct answer.  It's because I know I wouldn't be able to live with that guilt. 

Interesting question...kind of reminds me of The Joker's nasty ploy with the explosives in The Dark Knight...

20. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

I agree that most will give the PC answer to this hypothectical scenario. It this not what happens when someone pushes the button to deny condoms to the nations in Africa? Every time you push that button, someone you dont know contracts aids and dies. You dont even get the million dollars. You simply get to feel good about yourself for pushin.

21. Amoure85 profile image60
    Amoure85posted 13 years ago

They made a movie about this... "The Box."  It stars Cameron Diaz.  I haven't actually seen it yet so I'm not sure what ends up happening.

I think it is quite funny that so many people say that they would not push the button for $1 million.  I know this is what you are supposed to say.  However, there are so many psychological studies that have been done that show under the right circumstances people can be quite cruel and inconsiderate of other people.  Think back to Milgram's study on obedience.

What if your spouse or beloved family member needed to receive a new surgery that wasn't covered by insurance and $1 million would pay for it?

Just food for thought.

22. Lady Summerset profile image72
    Lady Summersetposted 13 years ago

Interesting answers.  Thanks for stopping by!

23. Ellarose92 profile image59
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

no!! because it could be one of your friends family member that dies or the president because technically you dont know him but that would be devasting to have that happen so its not worth it i wouldnt do it!!

24. KatieCohen profile image59
    KatieCohenposted 13 years ago

This is a funny spoof based off of that idea, I thought you would find it entertaining...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiFKm6l5-vE

25. Cory J. Clark profile image61
    Cory J. Clarkposted 13 years ago

I would push the button.  Yes.
    Very hard.

But.  That's only because I value money more than human life.

Am I joking?

26. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Pushing the button is not an option  to get a million

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)