Ladies, If a man used a coupon on a “first date” would it turn you off?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (26 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

Ladies, If a man used a coupon on a “first date” would it turn you off?

Recently I saw an article that was laced with comments from women slamming guys who used coupons or discount cards on a first date. Assuming you would normally go to that particular place or event, does it matter much that you got in for 50% off?
    I’ve always thought the number #1 goal of any date is to have a good time. Guys, Would you be embarrassed to use a coupon or discount card on a first date?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4572556_f260.jpg

2. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

This is actually a really good point. If you hope to turn it into a long term relationship then it is a good sign that the guy can handle himself financially. But it does look a bit 'cheap' even though you get the same thing and the same enjoyment. Not sure if I would do it though. If I went to a place regularly I could always use it at a later occasion.

3. mcrawford76 profile image90
    mcrawford76posted 13 years ago

Personally I woudn't do it on the 1st date, for appearances sake. But I think it would also depend entirely on the woman and how much you've gotten to know her first. If it's already been established that you have kids, or don't make a lot of money, I don't see why it would be a problem. If your date didn't have any of that information ahead of time I could see it as an embarassing blemish.

4. Dr. Wendy profile image59
    Dr. Wendyposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't be turned off and would think he must be as frugal as I am.  smile

5. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 13 years ago

No it would not turn me off at all. I am a big believer of saving money and I love coupons.

6. fundguru profile image61
    fundguruposted 13 years ago

See if you pay with a credit card, then at nearly every business you automatically receive a discount. In addition if you are member of business societies then you also receive with your membership cards discounts in hotels and several restaurants.

So who could blame you for it?

Probably a coupon is from its appearance different, and maybe it depends on the woman if she will like or dislike it, but I suppose most women will see how clever you are and that you know how to handle your finances.

Come on how many women go to a discount sale to buy fashion? Isn´t this the same intention to save money?

Would you react reserved if your date tells you that she got her shoes or dress at a 50% discount? Or would you be glad that she also knows how to save money?

But there also could be women from rich families or who are generally spoiled and would see it as cheap if you would do so.

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

You know, it would put me off a little bit, but I can't really explain why.

8. stricktlydating profile image84
    stricktlydatingposted 13 years ago

We don't have 'Coupons' here in Australia, but a Discount Voucher is absolutely fine and acceptable here to use on a first date.  It's often used as an 'excuse' to try a new restaurant too.  There are restaurant (and entertainment) books full of discount vouchers which are popular to buy here.  Using a Discount Voucher is really the perfect, casual way to ask someone out.  For example, a guy phone's a girl and says "Hi, I've got a discount voucher for that new restuarant in town, would you like to try it with me on the weekend?".  Often we have 'buy one get one meal free' deals. Lots of times a guy has asked me out this way.  It's sort of like the equivilent of saying "I've got free tickets to the game on the weekend would you like to come with me" there's no offence in it.

9. Gayly profile image61
    Gaylyposted 13 years ago

Not at all. It only means that this guy knows how to handle money and he is just being real.

10. profile image0
    Erik S.posted 13 years ago

Man, I'd whip that coupon right out and flash it in everyone's face, lol. If this first date is offended, there probably won't be a second one. There's a difference between cheap and thrifty.

11. marketingskeptic profile image70
    marketingskepticposted 13 years ago

It depends. Like if he just uses one coupon it's cool, but if he pulls out a deck of coupons and tries to use multiple ones at the same time, haggle with the waitress, and then not tip...like I'd be a little turned off.

12. txgal profile image58
    txgalposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't do it on a first date either. Maybe once I feel comfortable with my date then I would start using them.

13. rhondakim profile image71
    rhondakimposted 13 years ago

Uh...yes!  I enjoy saving money as much as the next person, and it's fine to use coupons once you're in a relationship, but when you're on a first date you don't know each other very well yet and every little thing you do is magnified.  You're each looking for clues as to the other's personality.  This is NOT the time to use a coupon!  Even if she doesn't want to, the woman may very well remember that to the exclusion of other things about the guy.  It just looks like your priorities are skewed - as if you value saving a few dollars more than making a good first impression.  It's just not worth the risk.

14. NorDac profile image60
    NorDacposted 13 years ago

Well, I'm married now so coupons are no problem. But if I was on a first date, no I don't think I'd bring out a coupon. I think I would save the thrifty, frugal part till a little later in the relationship.

15. Str8up Hookups profile image42
    Str8up Hookupsposted 13 years ago

For the first date,No! First impressions are lasting.

But on dates there after if there are any,as long as I know ahead of time and it doesn't restrict with my menu choices.

16. Naomi Rose Welty profile image65
    Naomi Rose Weltyposted 13 years ago

I agree with Stricklydating that a coupon could be a great lead-in to "let's go out." On the other hand, I would be very uncomfortable if a guy took me out and then produced the coupon. I guess it's all context: 'let's try this' sounds attractive, but seeing your date whip out an unexpected coupon might make a person feel somewhat discounted herself.

17. JayDee Sterling profile image61
    JayDee Sterlingposted 13 years ago

As long as you didn't make a scene or brag about it perhaps, but on a first date, probably not a good idea. Funny, but not good.

18. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Nope.  I'd figure he was sensible with his money.  I would be offended only if he tried to force me to order something specific because the coupon was only valid for that specific item.  That'd be a deal breaker, I think.

19. TinaTango profile image69
    TinaTangoposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, I would not be "turned off" if a guy used a coupon on a first date, that's just silly.

20. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 13 years ago

No, I would not be offended.  I would know I had met my soulmate.  No one loves a bargain more than me!

21. luckycharmz profile image61
    luckycharmzposted 13 years ago

In many cultures, the men play the role of provider.  As long as he could provide for the women he loves (coupon or not) he should be fine. 

In America, men and women are equal.  I personally don't mind when women pick up the tab.  But deep down, I think that women naturally are looking men who can provide for her and the children.

22. micahjoy profile image60
    micahjoyposted 13 years ago

In theory I'd like to say no, it wouldn't bother me. And on a second date, or if I was invited ahead of time as someone mentioned like "Hey I have a coupon for ..... want to come with me?" it wouldn't.

But I think if I encountered this on a first date with someone I didn't know at all previous to the date, yes, I would feel put off.

I don't think the issue is with saving money, but more the fact that the place/activity they chose to do with you was less thoughtful or personalized... but just something that they happened to have a coupon to.

If you need to be frugal, there are TONS of other date options that are free or cheap and wouldn't require a coupon.

1. freecampingaussie profile image61
      freecampingaussieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny enough I saw an ad with a guy using a coupon and in it they had to choose from a smaller menu , nothing she liked on it and it didn't look good . Here a coupon is often just buy one get one free so it wouldnt make any diference .

23. r-l-bean profile image60
    r-l-beanposted 13 years ago

I have a $10 Rule for first dates. I don't want to be impressed, I want to get to know her. A walk on the beach, ice cream and conversation. If that's not good enough, I may as well ask for sex.

24. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't be upset as I like using coupons & getting more for our money.
    I would hate to find out later that he had a coupon & didn't use it in case he upset me .
    It is all about getting to know each other & knowing he used coupons would impress me !

25. SaferDates profile image60
    SaferDatesposted 12 years ago

No, it would not turn me off. It would show that he put the extra time into planning our date. Besides, in this economy saving money and still having fun is a good thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)