Why do women generally love shopping, and men don't?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. kinnsyg profile image61
    kinnsygposted 13 years ago

Why do women generally love shopping, and men don't?

What is it about retail therapy that most women I know love, but men dislike so much?

2. kimh039 profile image90
    kimh039posted 13 years ago

i hate shopping.  my husband loves it.  sorry.  no help here!

3. Vishaaa profile image73
    Vishaaaposted 13 years ago

Well, we can't say men don't like shopping. But they hate going with women.

Generally women are so choosy. They will not just take the things just because it is in trend or it comes with the discount. So they will take more time in selecting. But men are total opposite. They just pick things at ones.

Men don't have Patience until their lady done with the shopping. I have seen my guy used to sit and fall asleep until I finish. Men prefer going alone or with his own gang.

4. WendyU profile image61
    WendyUposted 13 years ago

I hate shopping. All kinds of shopping. Always have. And almost every man I've ever known where the subject came up, either loved shopping or was impartial.
    I think men hate shopping WITH women who love shopping. I know I do.

5. tribhuban profile image60
    tribhubanposted 13 years ago

this is not true, i like shopping.............more  and more.........

6. ezzy1512 profile image61
    ezzy1512posted 13 years ago

Women are good at shopping, while men are not good at shopping.

7. Ms. Butterfly profile image60
    Ms. Butterflyposted 13 years ago

There is an interesting evolutionary answer to that question.

First of all, what men hate about shopping is spending lots of time choosing items to buy. Women usually either like it or don't find it so much annoying as men.

The reason for those two types of reactions is that women for many ages were gathering herbs and fruits, and men were hunting.

For a gatherer it is important to examine if fruit is ripe enough and not poisonous. You need to take your time smile Contrary, hunter has to react fast, or the beast will run away. So even if an iPod is not likely to run away from shelf, men still tend to make decisions to buy faster than women

8. perfectperception profile image61
    perfectperceptionposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure but I do love to shop.  I'm told I take too long in the stores! Maybe that's why most men hate shopping with us.

9. justanotherteen profile image57
    justanotherteenposted 13 years ago

I dont think guys actually hate shopping, it's just the fact its effort. You cant tell me that when you're shopping for them they dont actually enjoy it? It's just the fact that girl's generally take a lot more consideration and time and effort when shopping because quite frankly we get judged more for what we wear and what we own wheras guy's can get away with the whole carefree attitude and thats why they dont bother with shopping as much. Also, to be honest I dont think women really do enjoy shopping itself they just enjoy spoiling themselves and thats just a side effect of dragging themselvces out to the high street...

10. kinnsyg profile image61
    kinnsygposted 13 years ago

Some interesting answers so far. A lot of you disagreeing with the generalization it seems. I don't mind shopping as long as I can be in and out. Perhaps its the crowds not the actual shopping.

11. manuspohr profile image57
    manuspohrposted 13 years ago

because women are compulsive, they can not sit still, need some activity, and what better activity than hanging around, moving goods in and experimenting

12. Vicki.Pierce profile image67
    Vicki.Pierceposted 13 years ago

I guess I am not in the category of 'most women'.  I hate shopping!

13. webguyonline profile image57
    webguyonlineposted 13 years ago

maybe it's because majority of women love fashion. they need to buy new dresses, shoes, bags and other stuff.

14. Bronson_Hub profile image60
    Bronson_Hubposted 13 years ago

Depends on a few things... such as who's spending whose money?

15. sadidas profile image55
    sadidasposted 13 years ago

..............ummm..i guess its in their genes!

16. johnnymission profile image61
    johnnymissionposted 13 years ago

It's not that guys dislike shopping, its that we do it differently. To guys its like we are going hunting. We know what we want. We get in, we get out, we get fed. Same thing applies in shopping. we get to the store, grab the clothes we need and grab a hot dog on the way out of Wal Mart.

17. Edoka Writes profile image60
    Edoka Writesposted 13 years ago

I don't know for certain; I'm not every woman, but I think  for 'some' looking great is a priority, because women are judged by appearance more than men; which isn't fair.

18. Cory J. Clark profile image61
    Cory J. Clarkposted 13 years ago

I don't know who told you that, but I actually disagree.  I like going shopping more than my girlfriend does...

19. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

most men know exactly what they want or need, know exactly what store to find it in, will buy it and be out of the store in 10 minutes tops, unless there is a long line at the cash.

A woman will spend hours looking for just the right thing and price shopping, and will end up with about ten other items that she never entered the store for.

20. profile image0
    ssaulposted 13 years ago

I love shopping and the idea of shopping, just keeps my adrenaline pumping. Happy to say, even if, I take long in the stores, my husband love shopping with me, he is the best!

21. philirodje profile image59
    philirodjeposted 13 years ago

Not every woman likes shopping, so the question should not be generalized... some men like shopping as well as women.

on this planet, we all like to have new stuffs too much of everything is bad.

22. TimeToGoBeyond profile image60
    TimeToGoBeyondposted 13 years ago

Woman like to look good, so they feel good about themselves...men....could care less

23. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

I think it is because it is a fashion thing women buying the latest trends and men not as picky-since most men are not into dresses, bras, skirts.  I'm sure men like to shop but at different stores than women, looking for the latest handy man gadget.
    Still my husband does the majority of the grocery shopping.  If I go with him, I get impatient because he has to go down each and every aisle..  When I go I want to get what I need and get out of the store.  Sighs  Now I want to go to the mall but don't have any money.

24. padmendra profile image49
    padmendraposted 9 years ago

Women love shopping because they view it as a fun and a recreational activity. They also feel; they are the best shoppers than men. Men feel shopping as a necessity and they only do it when absolutely necessary like attending some special events or ceremony.

Men cannot spend time in going from one place to another for shopping and rather they prefer sitting at one place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)