Do you flag hubs for poor grammar?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Wendy S. Wilmoth profile image66
    Wendy S. Wilmothposted 13 years ago

Do you flag hubs for poor grammar?

I see so many hubs that are written with atrocious grammar. I can't tell if they're just written by folks with poor skills or if they were run through translator software. All I know is that they are AWFUL and unreadable. Do you flag such hubs?

2. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 13 years ago

Personally, I don't like the idea of judging someone's words or ideas based upon their grammar. Many times it seems to be from foreigners (which is fine by me). In other cases it may be they haven't had the best education. Sometimes maybe it is spinners - It's hard to tell. Sometimes maybe it is just people are lazy or they wanted to spit something out quickly because they were in the zone.

My approach is to reward good articles or ideas by positive ratings and to leave the poorer material alone. It is likely to remain near the bottom of the pool.

The only material I flag or vote down is material that is grossly offensive or inappropriate (which for me has to be REALLY bad) or provides factual information I know to be false.

3. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Yes, I absolutely do -- the TOS states that this is an English-only site, and therefore the people who contribute are required to know and be able to write in English. One of the factors in classifying something low-quality is if it is difficult to understand or unreadable, so I flag them when I find them. Leaving these unreadable hubs up degrades the site as a whole, and is part of the reason that Google isn't liking this domain too well at the moment.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

never. lots of people who write don't have a proper education due to no fault of their own but they still have awesome ideas and concepts. to flag for poor grammar , means that you think that what a person has to say is less important then how they put it in writing and i think that is wrong.

5. Wendy S. Wilmoth profile image66
    Wendy S. Wilmothposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm happy to hear more on the topic!

6. Adventure Colorad profile image77
    Adventure Coloradposted 13 years ago

I will depending on how bad it is.  If there are some mistakes here or there I will leave it alone.  If it is to the point where I can't understand what the writer is trying to say I might mark it down.  It has to be pretty bad, somtimes they look like translation software was used, or maybe they just tried to use keyword phrases instead of sentences. 

I would like to see a suggestion tool to allow a way to suggest grammar or other items are improved without having to downgrade the entire Hub.

7. profile image0
    bobnplanoposted 13 years ago

To begin with I am a new hubber and have never flagged anyone, yet.  However, I too have read numerous hubs and have wondered where this person is from!  Personally, I have been known to make a typographical error in my time as no one is perfect.  I have even seen typos in some of those who have hundreds of hubs; although I enjoy reading some of their hubs.  I do have a problem with someone who cannot even get the topic spelled correctly.  If the topic has misspelled words or incorrect grammer, I usually do not even bother reading the article.  If a hubber has something important or interesting to share, it should at least be well written.  I'm just saying!  One thing a hubber should do is spell check his or her work before posting it.  Am I wrong?  Should I start flagging?

8. NateSean profile image67
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

Generally, I don't like being what many might refer to as a "grammar nazi" either. But then, these are supposed to be informative articles.

One or two mistakes I can let slide. Godess knows I've made a handful of mistakes in many of my hubs. But if I find one or two of those mistakes, I don't flag it. I would prefer pointing them out in the comments section and giving the hubber a chance to correct them, as opposed to over developing my flagging trigger finger.

But an entire wall of text that looks like it came from a twelve year olds, Intro to Typing Class assignment is unacceptable. Especially when the hub is about a subject that people genuinely want to know more about.

Now think about it. If a writer at National Geographic posted an article that started with this phrase, "Te dnosaurs, were kild by alins and tht is pruf of why i am a psycology mager." How long would that magazine last?

People need to treat hub like their articles are being vetted by professional editors. Like any moment, their skills could be recognized and called upon by a genuine publisher.

9. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I the hub has some grammar errors I will usually leave it alone, it it proves to be a hard read due to many grammatical errors, then I will usually flag it.

However, I mainly flag hubs that appear to be spin offs or copied content or an add for another site or company.

10. smcopywrite profile image58
    smcopywriteposted 12 years ago

i believe the concept of "flagging a hub" is not to go around attempting to find faults with other hubbers work. you do have the option of voting up or voting down a hub which is usually enough for most hubbers.
    "hubber police" are not necessary and its unfortunate that some writers feel a personal responsibility to point out minor short comings for other hubbers. i believe you should flag a hub only if a major violation has been identified.
    as fellow writers we also have some responsibility to help those that may be new to the writing community and having a hub flagged for a minor violation may offend the sensibilities of some writers so profoundly that they never writer again.

i vote to flag a hub only for major violations, but certainly not for minor ones. use the vote up or down buttons, comments and other avenues when possible.

11. Gregoryy profile image62
    Gregoryyposted 12 years ago

No. For the simple reason that. Geniouses are not always great with english. Just becuase they are clever, smart, and creative. Does not mean that they always create the most grammar correct hubs. Keep in mind that even scientist's who come from America. Often need editors to make sure their studys and/or research also live up to the rules of english.

Some people may have great education, and still be bad with grammar. For example why would an engineering major, or someone with a PHD in biochemistry, have the best english skills. Not everything is about grammar. Would you rather have a personal trainer, that uses proper grammar, yet does not have the best ideas for you to get in shape. Or would you rather have a peronal trainer, who is not perfect at using grammar, yet this trainer finds a way to get you great results and workouts.

I don't look at the grammar. If it is easy to understand, and the content is good. I will accept it.  If the hub is not understandable, I will just leave it alone. You don't have to punish people if their hubs are not understandable, they will punish themselfs. If people do not understand their hub.

If we had the mindset of not paying attention to something just becuase it had bad english or grammar. There would be alot less knowledge and inventions in this world. Not everything is about grammar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)