Why do we equate happiness with money?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 50 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Ruchira profile image71
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

Why do we equate happiness with money?

2. mulberry1 profile image83
    mulberry1posted 13 years ago

I don't know the "real" answer, the one that has research behind it. But, it seems to me we are socialized this way. We believe that stuff makes us happy. Advertisers lead us to believe we will be happy if we drink this beer, buy this car, wear these shoes, and so forth. Then, our friends, neighbors, and so forth reinforce it.

Soon, whenever we can't get what we want or need (love, fulfillment, peace, etc.), we fill the void with things. For a short time it makes us happy. When that fades, we have to buy something else.

The rich, celebrities and so forth are held up as role models, it's easier to understand, more visible than looking at say, a Buddhist Monk, and saying, oh, he has the key to happiness, lets follow him. As is often true, I guess we want the easy answers.

Going to the store for a new purse is much easier than searching our souls, working on our relationships, and so forth.

3. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 13 years ago

People expect that the more you have, the more happiness you recieve. Gaining an object is something people are thrilled and amazed over. Why? I can only say that we are human.
    Those will small houses always want something bigger and more things to have around them. It is a defense. They are not satisfied. They might be having a bad relationship, it could be a hobby, or they want to feel like they are creating an impact. There are many reasons to gain things. But the fact of the matter is, they do not create happiness. You never know when to stop gaining and start giving.

4. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

Because money 'enables' worldly freedom.
    Its just one element of abundance... and who wouldnt want abundance..?

5. mikielikie profile image61
    mikielikieposted 13 years ago

Life is different for everyone. That said. For me I think that money would really make me happy. I was really poor when I was growing up. Although I know Its shallow to say but thats just how it is. money isn't really the root of all evil; Its the love of it that is. so I may be a little bit of a bad guy but oh well. Its just so hard to be happy when there are things that you can't provide for your family when you know that you try so hard to do so.

6. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 13 years ago

Awesome question!

From the outside looking in,we equate the wealthy being happy with,luxurious homes,cars,jewlery,clothes,yachts and planes.

Never taking into account other things in their lives that may not be so happy.

Mo money,mo problems!

I do not equate happiness with money,happiness is many things.

It's made up of things money can't buy!

Respect

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, money can solve of a lot of the problems that we have today--so it becomes easy to equate happiness with money.  While it is true money cannot buy happiness, it can get you a darn good therapist.

8. arb profile image78
    arbposted 13 years ago

Because we blame so much of our unhappiness on not having it, as though having it will solve our problems. Funny thing is that those who have it, have just as many problems, just different. Their biggest problem is two fold, how do you keep it and when is enough really enough. They still can't answer either one. Maybe poor problems are better for us than rich problems. God made so many of us!

9. Zubair Ahmed profile image76
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

I don't think everyone equates money with happiness.  But money certainly plays a big part reducing stresses of our modern lifestyles...that then contributes in theory to improving ones view of how they feel.

For example - I'd be happy if I had enough money that I could afford not to work 8hrs a day for someone else, instead spend time on Hubpages :-).

10. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 13 years ago

Although others do, I do not equate happiness with money.  There is a hub titled "Experts Tell The Keys to Happiness"
    http://hubpages.com/hub/experts-tell-th … -happiness
    that contains research on the various factors that make people happy.  They found that once you have enough money to be self-sufficient, then extra money does not contribute to happiness.

11. Matt in Jax profile image60
    Matt in Jaxposted 13 years ago

"Money can buy a Wave Runner. You ever seen anybody look unhappy on a Wave Runner?" -- Daniel Tosh

12. platinumOwl4 profile image74
    platinumOwl4posted 13 years ago

This is what we have been led to believe. The great stars of Hollywood appear happy with all of their wealth, so we imagine we will have happiness also.

13. ave212 profile image61
    ave212posted 13 years ago

Its a tricky one, but not having money certainly makes people unhappy so we naturally believe that we will achieve happiness by having it.

14. DonDWest profile image72
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

While money doesn't solve everything or necessarily lead to happiness, the lack of money certainly causes unhappiness.

15. Niki Hampton profile image60
    Niki Hamptonposted 13 years ago

You know I know there is supposed to be no link between money and happiness, but let's be realistic. We are a paycheck to paycheck family (sometimes not even that) and while I love my family, my work and my life in general I would gladly find more peace and happiness with the ability to pay bills and get out of debt. Regardless of your bank account you have problems, but those who are well adjusted can deal with both.

16. The Frog Prince profile image72
    The Frog Princeposted 13 years ago

Money can't buy happiness but it sure can help enhance the level at which one is happy.

17. Saloca profile image88
    Salocaposted 13 years ago

Personally, money can make certain aspects of life much easier. Imagine not having to worry about the next credit card bill, meeting your mortgage payments, fretting over the rising charges in gas, electricity and petrol. Having the money there to cover these essential costs of living takes away the stress and worry, which in turn leads to happiness, of a sort.

Money in itself is not what makes you happy, though for the more materialistic amongst us, being able to buy those new shoes or the holiday villa would probably put a smile acorss your face. I belive that money can only make you happy by easing the financial burden, taking away the stress and allowing you more time and freedom to do the things you want to do in life. Travel, build a home from scratch, send your kids to university, maybe even send yourself. Money can bring with it an awful lot of freedom.

18. DeAd Dolls Inc profile image60
    DeAd Dolls Incposted 13 years ago

@Ruchira,

Money is happniess because it allows you to buy what you want, do what you want and is the only reason why we work so hard. I know a piece of paper is why billions of people world wide waste their lives to get. For me the more money the better even if it doesn't buy love or some people would say neither happiness.

But you know what, when you don't have any of it or barely any of it more of it would be perfect. So money does = happiness for me but everyone has their own opinions about this subject.

-DD
    ( http://socialgaming.tumblr.com ) CityVille FarmVille FrontierVille Cafe World Mafia Wars & More Tips Tricks And Cheats.

19. Fez360 profile image56
    Fez360posted 13 years ago

My true opinion is that money blows our heads up in society. That most people get discombobled and go insane with it. Unlike me i think money is the root of all evil. I dont like money but i surely know that i need to make money to be INDEPENDENT. To pay for my son and to take care of him and myself. Money destroys relationships, it destroys families, it destroys friendship. Money plain and simple is the devil coming in the form as paper used to hurt people and people who are happy with it are just blinded until all the money goes away then they realize what happened to them.

20. lmoynihan082 profile image60
    lmoynihan082posted 13 years ago

I can understand people who have a lot of financial debt and somehow come into some money would be happy but money isn't happiness I think you need to experience hardships to fully appreciate happiness.

21. profile image0
    oldrickposted 13 years ago

When we equate money with happiness we are making the mistake of thinking that happiness comes from outside. If happiness comes from outside,ie from 'things' then having more money equals having more things equals more happiness. Some people go their whole lives believing this one, and of course there is pleasure from 'things'. Happiness, real happiness, comes from inside and is your birthright. The even better news is that there are techniques and processes you can do to increase your ability to be aware of your natural happiness!

22. watergeek profile image95
    watergeekposted 13 years ago

Many years ago I joined the Peace Corps to prove that one could travel without having a lot of money. They sent me to Botswana, Africa, where I helped people and had lots of adventures. Adventures, non-profit work, education, different jobs, family, spiritual growth, it all adds up to a fulfilling life.

Three years ago I found a job that I could be passionate about. Didn't pay that much, but enough. Unfortunately, the company has financial troubles and four months ago put us all on part time.

I'm now struggling to make ends meet - no more Starbucks, cheap food instead of organic, no movies or eating out. Rent and taxes combined take 65% of my income.

I'm having to really look at the role of money and happiness. Money doesn't bring happiness, but it does play A role. I think taking us out of the struggle for bare subsistence is it.

The secret to happiness is to do what truly brings joy, whether or not it costs anything . . . and ONLY that, no matter what the media says or what "things" anybody else owns.

23. profile image0
    The Quiz Masterposted 13 years ago

I've been quite poor for about 5 years now, I am however happy. Having a loving partner really helps because we are in the same position. Living through hardship makes you really appreciate the goods things when you get them. Would I be more happy if I were suddenly rich? Absolutely. I would be free to explore the world and eat fine foods, the two biggest things I like most and it pains me that I can't afford to do either.

24. Vinodkpillai profile image70
    Vinodkpillaiposted 13 years ago

Two reasons. Firstly Money does buy goods and services that go to fulfill our basic material needs. Secondly, ignorance. Because even if you buy everything with money you can still be unhappy. For happiness is ultimately a state of mind and not a destination to be reached. Backed by heavy advertising and selling pressures, we get lulled into believing that some more money will enable us to buy some more of those goodies that we fancy and that happiness will then be ours. Its a never ending story until one realises......

25. Nrjsh profile image57
    Nrjshposted 13 years ago

because when we are not happy we always compare  ourselves to the rich persons, that they have got everything they want in life and we got nothing........

26. profile image51
    cakelingposted 13 years ago

We trick ourselves into thinking that material things can replace what we crave emotionally.  The old saying is true, " you can't buy happiness".  However, money can provide peace of mind, less financial stress, entertainment and new experiences.  These things make me happy.  How about you?

27. profile image57
    schreibwerkerposted 13 years ago

I can not explain but I think that the people believe they can buy happiness with money.
    With us there is a saying the best things in life not buy.

28. ricoramiro profile image61
    ricoramiroposted 13 years ago

Money is a necessity.  And the more of it we have the more comfortable we'll be.  Happiness comes from within.  About 2x a week in the morning I smile and I hold the smile for one full minute. I even set a stop watch!

29. aw1219 profile image60
    aw1219posted 13 years ago

Because we have been lead to believe by society, our culture, the media and more that money will make you happy.  But all we have to do is to look at those who have it and realize that it doesn't.  They have to work hard to get it, to keep it and to keep others from getting it.  If that's what true happiness means, then I think I will pass.

30. profile image0
    Digsposted 13 years ago

Depends on how much intrinsic value is placed on it.  Whether you see it as an end in itself or a means to an end.  If the latter, then happiness comes from the ability to do constructive things in a world full of need; if the former, then any happiness is temporal.  After answering the philosophical questions, money satisfies basic physical needs, like a good pizza for instance.

Digs

31. danthehandyman profile image69
    danthehandymanposted 13 years ago

No Money = Unhappiness. Some of us haven't realized the inverse is not true. A basic amount of money is needed to acquire the basic necessities of life. Beyond that, additional money leads to greater expectations and greater desire for both acquisitions and money, unless moral concepts intercede. Narcissism and greed play a significant role. Instead of “I have everything I need” some believe “I need to have everything”. It’s a never-ending concept that leads to never-ending unfulfilled desire.

32. riches4u profile image61
    riches4uposted 13 years ago

Based on my experience regarding money I been in numerous situations where the only thing that would solve the problem was having some money.  I have so many stories where just having money would have solved the problem.  I've lost a roof over my head, my car was repossessed, had no electricity all because I lost my job.  While I'm not an advocate for the belief that money is happiness.  I have had too many experiences that point to the importance of having money.  Without it you really can't do anything, you certainlly can't help anyone, you can't go anywhere, you damn near bet not say too much to anyone.  In my opinion money can NOT buy you happiness and I'll end by saying, its better to have money and not need it, than to need money and not have it.

33. profile image48
    privic4ruleposted 13 years ago

it's because money this the only thing on this earth that can buy so much happiness.

34. AngelTrader profile image60
    AngelTraderposted 13 years ago

Because that is how we have been conditioned since birth!

35. Brinafr3sh profile image79
    Brinafr3shposted 13 years ago

Because the country we live in. is a business. It want money for holidays. It wants money for taxes. It wants money for taxes on products we buy. soon it's going to want money for gay weddings, .... etc.

36. profile image57
    M_Cepposted 13 years ago

The simple answer is Programming. It is also an easy way for people without a whole lot going on inside to compete and feel adequate.

37. Paineszankio profile image59
    Paineszankioposted 13 years ago

Makes me think of....Money can't buy happiness, but I'd rather cry in a Ferrari.

38. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 13 years ago

Media! We are socialized into this thought control. But, capitalism is a fact of life here in our country. Personally, I am learning that value does not always have a dollar equivalency. Then again this may be a life long lesson. Then again I need about $800 to achieve a personal goal. I wrestle with it. Then I quantify it. Then I put it on the back burner. But, it does simmer slowly. So, I guess I really don't have an answer other than philosophically or spiritually or emotionally experiencing the now is my aspirin to this dilemma.

39. Ruchira profile image71
    Ruchiraposted 13 years ago

Ask a beggar if he is happy going without food and shelter. Money sure is essential for our basic happiness since unfortunately nothing comes for FREE!

However, man should be able to draw a line between how much money and how to define happiness with it. I have seen merchants/millionaires unhappy even if they have pots of money and I have also seen an average man whose daily necessities are being met being extremely happy !

This is the choice we have to make with a certain amount of money and be able to extract happiness out of it!

40. meantforsea profile image61
    meantforseaposted 13 years ago

I think it's because if you have money, you don't have to work, and you can do the things that make you happy. I don't think it has to do with actual money. I mean, sure it's nice to spend money (clothes, toys, whatever), but it boils down to having your life to yourself and not slaving away anywhere.

for me anyway.

41. DaveysRecipeRead profile image60
    DaveysRecipeReadposted 13 years ago

Money can finance the freedom to do the things we dream of doing. It gives you the basis. It gives your time back to you (goodbye to working 8hr.s somewhere for someone-forever)  and allows you to decide just what you want to do with your time. How  well or poorly this new freedom is dealt with isn't dictated by the money but by it's owner.

42. carolp profile image81
    carolpposted 13 years ago

I don't equate happiness with money. Happiness can be achieve in many other ways like love.

43. profile image57
    casstowncharlieposted 13 years ago

People say you can't by happiness with money...But lets be honest, without money you can't enjoy a lot of the things that bring you happiness.

44. Les Trois Chenes profile image80
    Les Trois Chenesposted 13 years ago

Because money doesn't just buy useless 'stuff'. It can buy hip replacements, heart by-passes, good dentistry, education, insurance against disasters. It can mean no worry about how to manage. It can buy good nutrition for kids, it can buy a break when it's needed. It can buy a dry house in a neighbourhood where you don't feel under threat. It can buy justice. It can buy jobs and life chances and travel ..... ultimately, as the rich live longer, it can buy life. Need I say more?

45. Tweetmom profile image66
    Tweetmomposted 13 years ago

Money is just a medium. A liquidity to get something in return. It is not happiness. But it could definitely buy happiness. The real answer can go beyond individual's moral values. It is to what certain extent you are willing to go to.

I always had an argument with my husband about accepting gifts from other people are considered good or bad. If accepting a wrist watch from a fan is acceptable, then why is accepting ten Gucci shoes from a rich guy is frowned upon. if looked at the situation closely, the difference is just the value of the money. If I chose to sleep with the rich person is a whole different story. But it is a messed up world we live in. People are attracted to the beautiful things in the world. That is why celebrities always ended up marrying a celebrities. Why they don't stick with their college sweetheart? Why supermodels always ended up with ultra-rich business man with yachts and Ferrari?  Entertainment business is a very good example of money and happiness because it is a dark industry.

This is just my two cents. I am open to any open minded discussion.

46. ultimatekboxing profile image60
    ultimatekboxingposted 13 years ago

I don't think we do - we just know that not having money causes problems, which make us unhappy. Money won't necessarily make you happy, it'll just take one set of problems and replace them with another set.

People have a fairly rose-tinted view of the lives of the wealthy.

47. profile image0
    Avalon.posted 13 years ago

We equate happiness with money because when we dont have money, we cant buy things that we think we need to make us happy, like a TV, iPod, or Car.

48. titobay profile image69
    titobayposted 13 years ago

Money by itself does not equate happiness. It is how you use money that either brings you happiness or sadness. If you use your money to purchase gun or merchandise hard drug and it leads to sudden mishap within the family, then your money has brought you sorrow. I watched a movie where a rich guy kept collection of guns in his home and the child thought he could show them off to his friend when he came visiting. Without the parent's knowledge, he brought out one and accidentally, blew himself up. The family never remained the same.

If you use money to settle score by paying to take someone else life, I don't think that leads to happiness. But if you invest your money on your child and you live to witness the success of that child, then your money (in terms of investment) has brought you joy. Buying a new home is a thing of joy but if you don't have peace within the home, then your money is not working for you. You buy  a new car for your child and out of youthful exuberance, crashed and killed himself, does your money equate happiness?

Happiness comes from within, you have to be contented, find peace within yourself, create a peaceful atmosphere within your home. Work hard to achieve success. Even if you are not Bill Gates, you can find your own happiness within the little you have. Not having at all could be depressing so you have to strive to make a living.

And tell me....who says the rich ones are happy? Haven't you heard of the 'rich also cry'?

49. moneycop profile image60
    moneycopposted 12 years ago

Its only because we don't know the real meaning and nature of our happiness as i mentioned clearly in my hubs. Money or any other thing in this world cant give us happiness atall.

50. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Have you ever wondered if money could buy you happiness? The old saying has always been 'money can't buy you happiness', but I would like to argue that in many ways it can buy you happiness, although maybe not in the ways you might imagine. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)