Is it possible to sell your soul to the devil?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Jangaplanet profile image59
    Jangaplanetposted 13 years ago

Is it possible to sell your soul to the devil?

2. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/3137664_f260.jpg

Yes I think you can. In the Bible, Satan tempted Christ by telling him he would give him authority over the nations if he would worship him. But Jesus told him you should not tempt the lord and that the nations were not his to grant.

3. lemmyC profile image73
    lemmyCposted 13 years ago

The answer is Yes!
    Jesus asked:
    "What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loose his soul?"
    To who ever you give your members to, becomes your master. Either to God unto righteousnesses or to the enemy the devil unto perdition.
    God wants us to give our members to Jesus who from the beginning is the guardian of our soul, if we believe in His Word - the gospel fro the salvation of our souls.
    You can sell your soul to the devil when you continue to live in the lies of the devil instead obeying the living word og God.

4. profile image0
    lovazaposted 13 years ago

If you believe that you can sell your soul to the devil, then it can happen. But, it won't be worth it.

5. Roger Rabbit profile image61
    Roger Rabbitposted 13 years ago

I could talk to him and see. How much do you want for it ?

6. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

Not in the literal sense of handing something over and taking away a sum of money.  But people who continue to sin, knowing they are sinning, and mock God--they have done it.

7. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

I've heard a lot of celebrities doing that sort of thing.. .
    it is possible smile
    and I won't dare trading my soul to him

8. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I don't believe in a Devil or Satan.   However, I think it is possible for a person to choose to deliberately 'harden their heart' as it is so often put, and go with their ego or conditioned self rather than with their Higher Self.    Decisions that lead to deliberate actions that we know in our innermost being are wrong are what bring us unstuck.

I say 'unstuck' for that old biblical saying 'cut off from the vine' applies here.   Little, deliberately chosen wicked actions, quite often lead to bigger and bigger ones.   For example, a sadistic  murderer might have started off by simply being deliberately cruel to his pet rabbit.

People who are so ego-centred that they cannot emphasise in the slightest way with others, might choose evil because they see absolutely nothing wrong with it at their own emotional level.  I suspect this would come under the category of 'selling their soul.'   And what do they sell it for?   Temporary gratification in some way, probably.   e.g. Power over others.   

All of this, of course stems from fear of close self-examination.    But to explain what is meant by that would take too long to present here.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

9. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 13 years ago

I do believe it is possible but does not worth doing so. You may gain materialistic things but when you die, you will suffer more pain than what you are facing in life.

It is just like doing bad deeds as it is not worth the penalty you will be facing. Learn to accept life and work within your means. It is best to understand that hard work pays off in later stage of life.

10. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 13 years ago

wow! tough question. I still haven't settled on a definition for the soul yet. However, who was that blues singer that sold his soul at the crossroads in where Georgia. I'm thinking of the movie with the "karate kid" actor in it, , , sometimes with ppl I know I wonder if they did , , ,

11. akuigla profile image61
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

Of course
    Do only bad things
    Pretend that you are good gay,and stab everybody in the back
    Be enemy to all
    Send your parents to nursing home,yet you house is half empty
    Hide your true nature and think of evil only
    and so on......

Succinctly PUT!

12. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

no it's not. first you would have to have a soul and secondly the devil would have to be real. neither is the case so it's all good.

13. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 13 years ago

Your soul is your body, your life force, you, in Hebrew Nephesh. So yes it is a kind of selling your soul to the Devil if you do his will. What we do with our lives is how we render our life to God or the Devil.

14. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

Yes.
    ...even 'minor' stuff like working a job that you hate day in-day out.. is selling your soul.

It CERTAINLY IS to the multillionth degree!

15. Dexter Yarbrough profile image69
    Dexter Yarbroughposted 13 years ago

I am going to take an opposing view and say no. I do not believe that you can SELL something that does not belong to you or was not originally available for purchase. God did not create human life and then plan to sell it off to the highest bidder. Since we belong to Him, He alone decides what he wants to do with His creation.

If you believe that there is a Satan, how can you sell your soul to him when he has no means to purchase it? Satan did not create human life; he can only influence human minds. In fact, Satan belongs to God. He just chooses to oppose HIM. God GAVE life and the free will to travel along the path to eternal life or eternal death.

Therefore, you may be able to LOSE your soul or even GIVE it away. But you cannot sell it. Satan does not have the power or wherewithall to give you anything in return for your soul. This is just a trick to make you believe that he can.

16. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Since there's no "devil" (as far as I'm concerned, and I don't doubt my own take on the matter), there's selling one's soul to any devil.  There is, however, "selling one's soul" , but that's more a matter of selling out than it is of selling to someone or something else.

EXACTLY!

17. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 13 years ago

Yes, it's definitely possible, although what we might call "the devil" could also be called negative energy entities.. or something!  It's definitely possible though--just look at the Illuminati for clarification on that.  Seriously.

18. Supercellbaebe profile image61
    Supercellbaebeposted 13 years ago

I don't believe in the Devil.  I am however open minded and I do think people can be evil when they so choose, like Hitler for example.

That is what the statement means.  It means doing what it most expedient instead of right.  One sells one's soul to the devil metaphorically when one does something which causes immense remorse & sleepless nights.

19. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

Sure you could sell your soul to the Devil.  If you are open to the idea and want to go for it, just find the richest most evil person that you know and work for them, then you will have your wish.

Best wishes.

20. executivecatering profile image61
    executivecateringposted 11 years ago

I also asked a similar question and found some interesting answers http://executivecatering.hubpages.com/q … -your-soul
    I now think it is possible but the subject is fascinating

21. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12155158_f260.jpg

Of course it is possible. People do it everyday for approval, adulation, & other emotional,psychological, psychic, social, socioeconomic, even spiritual rewards.There are people who live for outward approval & accolades in any form,even negative.There are people who do not believe in taking the correct road in terms of attaining success, they look for what it is most expedient. 

There is a saying that for what is worth achieving is never easy. However, many people fail to realize that success is built upon planning, strategizing, & ..........HARD work. The road to success is NOT easy but many people want it to be so.Well, so much so that they would do almost anything( some would DO ANYTHING) to attain that success the easiest & most expedient way possible. 

While one person is attaining success the honest/moral way, another is achieving his/her success by less honest means. Maybe the second person is spying upon other workers, relaying information to the supervisor/manager/superior in order to curry this person's favor for a future promotion. If the second person gets the promotion, this promotion will be at a PRICE as all devious attainments.

There is an adage that one sells his/her soul for ..............A PRICE.  This price means that a person is OWNED lock, stock, & barrel.  Oftentimes, when a person sells his/her soul for some type of reward, the ending is not so good.  Something will occur to take away that reward for it was not earned honestly.

In the case of the second person who "gained" the promotion by being a sycophant, the supervisor/manager/superior can make the conditions of retaining the promotion extremely onerous.  If the person complains, the supervisor/manager/superior can say look what I did for you, now it is PAYBACK time.  If the person refuses, well....the promotion can be ....TAKEN AWAY.  Many times, a person who achieve rewards by less than honest means have a karmic penalty to pay one way or another.  In essence, ugliness will be found out & swiftly resolved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)