Loneliness. Why do women end up with pets and guys with computers?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image81
    kallini2010posted 13 years ago

Loneliness.  Why do women end up with pets and guys with computers?

It's not a question about who ends up with who or what, women with computers or guys with pets, or both genders with pets and computers.  It is a question why do we fail to form relationships between each other and suffer from loneliness when we don't have to?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4868790_f260.jpg

2. Matt in Jax profile image59
    Matt in Jaxposted 13 years ago

I don't think that this is always the typical, but men find a lot of solace in computers. There's so many options of things to do and kind of shut yourself out of the world and I think women are more emotional-bound and so they express there relaxing time as something emotionally investing, like an animal.

3. DonDWest profile image71
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

You may not like my answer, but here goes: valuing security over risk.

And this is mostly the woman's choice.

1. tussin profile image57
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Succinct and so true.

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 13 years ago

I agree with JonDWest. Most women do not want to risk being with another person. People lie, betray, harm, wound, etc. Loyal animals will never betray you and are always there when you need them. As a bonus, they don't talk back!

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

In an attempt to be funny answering another men/women question, I "issued a blanket statement alert" on that question.  I'd like to do the same here, but if it was at all funny the first time it probably won't be funny again. 

I'm far from lonely, but I can tell you that (as my name probably suggests) I'm a woman.  My youngest child has recently moved out of the house, and I don't pretend I don't miss having her coming and going.   She and her brother have moved in or out at one time or another (living at school, getting one place or another, etc.) over the last few years; and through it all, when I've been working or spending free time, I've spent a lot of time with my face stuck up against a computer screen.  I joke to people that although I've never been someone to "love" material things - I really do love my computers.   smile

Besides pangs of missing one grown child or another, I'm not without a few pangs of missing one pet or another that has either died or left my home to move in with its rightful "owner" (I don't like the word, "own", when it comes to living things.)

These days, I am pet-less (after a lifetime of always having at least one pet) and have no plans of changing that cat-vomit-free state I now enjoy.

On the other hand, I know lots of guys (of varying ages) who have pets (and, yes, who also have computers; but so does everyone else these days).

In any case.....    "Blanket Statement Alert" on this question, as well as that one I mentioned.    smile   

Pets or computers, as far as relationships go, I've had one that didn't work out well (but changed in a positive way) and generally have no problems with most relationships.  "Loving" one's computer (and/or smart phone) and/or having a beloved pet (or two) have nothing to do with whether we have solid relationships or not.

6. TheBlondie profile image60
    TheBlondieposted 13 years ago

That stuff can never disappoint you. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband can be fulfilling, but it is a lot of work and there can be bumps along the way. Pets will never tell you you look "sorta fat" in a dress, and a computer will never complain that you never help with the housework. Its just easier, and even if it does sound sad, being single can be much better than having a relationship.

7. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 13 years ago

First of all I believe we have to acknowledge that not everyone who is not in a "relationship" feels sad or lonely.
    Connecting with people is always a choice.

When someone decides they would rather not be in a relationship it's usually because they have been hurt "too many times" and they don't trust themself enough to make a better choice when it comes to selecting the "right mate". It's just easier for them to go it alone or live in a cyber world.

It takes more "courage" to open up your heart and fall in love a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time than it does the first time.

8. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I have both.  I would take a pet over a computer any day.

I think you're right about how men and women tend to fill their emptiness with fuzzy things and technology.

9. profile image0
    marellenposted 13 years ago

I have a wonderful pet and a computer. I love them both for different reasons. I'm not married or in a relationship by choice. Being hurt and cheated on in the past, I prefer to be alone but I wouldn't say I was lonely. You're only as lonely as you want to be.

10. zduckman profile image61
    zduckmanposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4872783_f260.jpg

Well, I don't think thats the way it works out personally. I have a cat who has been a wonderful companion. If your companion is your computer....I highly suggest you go to a shelter where you can save a life, and get a companion in one fell swoop.

11. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

I believe that being out of a relationship one would try to fill that void that was once there. I would acutally say that it seems that woman do seem to buy animals because we have a nurturing nature about us.

12. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

Loneliness is normal, I think.I have yet to see or hear one person say  that he /she has never been lonely at one point in their lives.Monotony of life and humdrum existence  is a factor in loneliness .Also,there seems to be a need of change in our lives that eventually breeds loneliness.That's my take.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your answer, but I might have failed to stress that when we fail to establish relationships with each other we settle for animals. Those relationships are called parasocial - where there is only one human.

13. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

There are some people for whom "loneliness" as you describe it is preferable to being with other humans whom they are not compatible with, and these people may be very incompatible with most people. Some people are simply happier not having to compromise or share their space.  You cannot rule out the possibility that it is by choice.

kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is very true, Tussin. There is a difference between loneliness and solitude and it is not every connection that will decrease your loneliness.  Unfulfilled connections INCREASE loneliness.  People who are lonely know they are lonely, though.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image73
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"I'm alone, not lonely."

14. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Three of my common observations are that most people are not effective communicators and others are simply mean or lazy. Relationships require both parties to work together and compromise. There can't be shortcuts and selfishness. I see men and women who are with their dream catch only to later get lazy and allow themselves to stop communicating openly or they let themselves go. Some choose to indulge in temptation and once they realize the grass isn't greener they're miserable. Frequently the scorned one can find someone even more desirable.

I have a few colleagues and friends that have lived through this on both sides. Others make the choice to put careers or other things and people first, rather than making their love life a priority. After they begin to believe their "prime" has passed, they'd often rather not make the effort needed to find and maintain a relationship. Let us not forget those who believe their own mental fiction that has absolutely no basis in reality, which makes them less desirable to be around no matter what other attributes they may have.

15. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 11 years ago

Because women hold on too long and miss out on Mr. Right, and men let go too fast.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)