How would you react if your son or daughter told you they were gay?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. nycgrl profile image60
    nycgrlposted 12 years ago

How would you react if your son or daughter told you they were gay?

And even if you do not have children yet, how would you react if your future child told you they were gay?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'd FREAK OUT!  No way I've got kids that age and don't know it.

3. CJ Andrews profile image86
    CJ Andrewsposted 12 years ago

Probably somewhat reserved as I tried to figure out what they were going through and their perspective of life to help me understand better.  I am not saying it wouldn't be hard, but if my one of my children is homosexual then they are homosexual doesn't change the fact that they are my child.

4. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

Well, I would assure them I will love them always and forever no matter what but I would have to tell them that I am not "okay" with their choice or way of love. I don't think it is okay to be gay or lesbian but I am in no place to judge them. That's between them and God!

I personally know a few gay and lesbian people and I treat them no different. As long as they aren't speaking of what they do, or in a lesbian's case, hitting on me, I don't think about it. I see them as people because that's what they are. We are all humans and just because I find something wrong with what someone does, it does not make me right.

5. Monisajda profile image61
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

I would be OK with that. However, I would be surprised that I had no clue altogether.

6. lovelife08 profile image59
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

Honestly, I have no idea.  I have no problem with homosexuals, but I'm not sure that I would be terribly excited to find out my child was gay.  I would accept it, yes, but I don't think I would be jumping for joy right off the bat.  I guess it's different when it's your own children.  Of course, I would still love my child no matter what.

7. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

It would take me some time to adjust to the idea; because even though I've always considered the possibility that one of the three of them could one day announce that, I've also done the usual of thing of taking for granted that they are not.

My big thing would be that I'd want them to know it made no difference to me.  I absolutely adore all three of them (now grown) for the people they are, and have always been.  It's that simple.

I'd hope, too, though, that they'd understand that I would have a little bit of "getting-used-to" to do, and a little bit of re-thinking some of the things I may have been thinking (like imagining them marrying someone of the opposite sex and coming by any family they wanted the "usual" way).  So, I'd hope they overlooked some things I may say or do out of not being completely settled into "the new news" I'd gotten.

I'm not sure someone who hasn't had his own children, or even someone who hasn't reached the stage where they've grown up, can imagine how much a most mothers love their grown children (at least the ones who have always loved their children in the way that a mother "is supposed to").

Thinking about each of my own three grown children, and imagining what I'd do; it's so "without-a-doubt" that I can say it wouldn't make any difference in how I feel about any of them.

8. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

When my younger daughter still lived at home, she brought home a friend of hers from school. He had been kicked out of his own home because he told his father that he was gay. It made me think about what I would do if one of my kids told me they were gay. I'm not entirely sure, but I hope that I would be understanding and helpful and listen to what they had to say. I have no problem with people and their sexual orientation, so I think that my kids would feel comfortable opening up to me....I feel bad for people of all ages who feel that they need to hide from society or family for being different....

9. Erin Rooney profile image60
    Erin Rooneyposted 12 years ago

There are so many things to consider. I would tell them that it was fine, it didn't make any difference to me and I was proud of them no matter what. Then I would probably contact a few of my gay friends so that when it came time for me to discuss sex, safety, and dating with my child I would have accurate information that pertained to their issues and experiences specifically. I would also introduce them to books, movies, tv shows, and plays featuring strong, gay characters so that they didn't feel alienated, alone, or ashamed. I also may contact members of the gay straight alliance and ask for information about raising a gay child or any extra support they may need.

And then I'd just treat them like a normal teenager. Make them do their homework and mow the lawn.

10. Jarn profile image59
    Jarnposted 12 years ago

My immediate thoughts would be, "Hot Damn! No grandkids to worry about supporting!"

11. whoisbid profile image59
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

To be honest I feel that it is not for me to stop the way they feel about sex. However, we live in a world where people who have a different proclivity can be excluded from certain circles and I would try to teach them to be wise about how they handle this

12. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I would react with PRIDE and I would be honored that they felt comfortable and safe enough to tell me.

13. LucysMom profile image59
    LucysMomposted 12 years ago

As I raise my children, I plan on not presuming they will be heterosexual. I will teach them that being gay, straight, or bisexual are all healthy life paths, and by doing this, I hope my children will discuss their feelings and sexuality with me openly. I will be proud of my children whoever they decide to love.

I think Erin gave an especially insightful answer to this question, and I say ditto to her response.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)