Planning to start a blog, which platform would be good?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (27 posts)
  1. psf profile image69
    psfposted 12 years ago

Planning to start a blog, which platform would be good?

Apart from hubpages, I am planning to start a blog either on "Blogger" or on "Wordpress", can anyone suggest me which one is best as far as SEO and monetizing concerned? Or what if I buy my own domain name and hosting service?

2. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 12 years ago

Blogger would be better for monetizing, because of ease of use. Although wordpress has a lot more plugins available especially if you are planning on owning your own domain.

3. Tony Flanigan profile image60
    Tony Flaniganposted 12 years ago

If you want to use a free platform, go with Blogger, 'cos you can't use third party advertising on a wordpress.com site.

However, it is way the best option to get your own domain, with WordPress on it. search engines love WordPress, and adding third party ads via the widgets is dead simple.

Getting traffic to a free platform blog or website is a thankless, time consuming painful job, with little reward. Use the same amount of energy on your own domain and you'll be doing far better for yourself.

4. CZCZCZ profile image88
    CZCZCZposted 12 years ago

If you get your own domain go with a Wordpress blog, it is easy to maintain yourself.  Blogger blogs though are great to work with and certainly a very viable option for operating a blog.

5. Zubair Ahmed profile image74
    Zubair Ahmedposted 12 years ago

If you less tech-savvy then I would go with Blogger, you can download many nice templates free and jazz up your blog.  It is also integrates really nicely with Google Adsense - if you intend to earn some money with it.  Wordpress on the other hand offers many more widgets and plugins - but you have to be fairly technical to make all those work and achieve SEO etc.

6. MangJose profile image60
    MangJoseposted 12 years ago

Blogger... it offers a easy to use platform.. user friendly

7. froch profile image59
    frochposted 12 years ago

In my opinion the best platform is BLOGSPOT or his head competitor WORDPRESS

8. GoingOnline profile image60
    GoingOnlineposted 12 years ago

Made a hub comparing BLogger and WordPress:
    http://goingonline.hubpages.com/hub/Blo … -is-better

Personally, Blogger allows you for quicker monetisation for free, but I think WordPress is slightly better for SEO, though it's mostly due to the templates. So I'd go for Blogger, use my own domain and transfer to my own hosted version of WordPress down the line if I see it works and need more features.

9. atulhost profile image60
    atulhostposted 12 years ago

Both Wordpress and Blogger are easy to handle but comparatively there are more number of free plugins available for enhancing a wordpress based blog.

10. lejonkung profile image64
    lejonkungposted 12 years ago

I would choose wordpress because of all the plugins. You can do anything with your site there.

11. Jennie Demario profile image40
    Jennie Demarioposted 12 years ago

Everyone seams to be big on WordPress.  I believe that there  a lot of addons created by developers that are available for the WordPress platform.  I'm not sure what the differences between the options of Blogger and WordPress but it appears that google picks up blogger sites much quicker.  Probably because google owns blogger...

12. Bretsuki profile image67
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

If you know that you want to blog on a specific subject and stay with it from day one. I would get a domain and go with Wordpress. Blogger now does allow you to use domains, but the program is basic and it does not allow too much personalization.

Blogger however is a good simple platform if you want to test several ideas to see what works. Blogs can be set up in a few minutes and SEO is no problem. Google likes Blogger Blogs. It owns the platform so wants it to rank highly.

The problem comes later if you want to transfer your blog. Moving a blog from one platform to another is a lot of work and can be technical.

Hope this helps.

13. tamarindcandy profile image60
    tamarindcandyposted 12 years ago

Wordpress is my favorite, but yes, Blogger is better with advertising.

14. RishiKS profile image59
    RishiKSposted 12 years ago

Wordpress is far superior than Blogger, when it comes to performance, SEO integration and ad sense integration. There are a lot of wordpress themes available free of cost in the market. But that is not the same with Blogger. Plus, the dashboard of wordpress (where you edit your content) is more superior and solid than blogger. 

But i would advise you to go for your own domain. And you can promote your domain on various social bookmarking sites and traffup.net to get free and relevant traffic on your website. Plus, when your SEO becomes effective, you will start getting a lot of traffic from search engines as well.

15. kenank profile image59
    kenankposted 12 years ago

Both are good Blogger and Wordpress.
    You can also try www.listmyfive.com.It's a fun site and you can also earn money through your affiliate links and through their revenue share program.

16. Freegoldman profile image41
    Freegoldmanposted 12 years ago

The major free blogging platforms include Blogger.com and WordPress.com. They both host the blog for you on their own platform. Although free, these blogging platforms give you very limited options as far as showcasing your individuality or creativity is concerned as they have standard design options. You will also not be provided with your own URL.

17. profile image0
    .josh.posted 12 years ago

Everyone pretty well has you covered, but the simple answer is that if you have an idea you're already confident with, getting your own domain and using the Wordpress software is your best bet. If you use Blogger, the issue will be when (/if) you want to move on, and you have to deal with the headache involved in moving from one platform to another.

If, however, you want to test out some ideas, Blogger is an excellent option. It's free, user friendly, and does quite well with Google searches (i.e., since they own Blogger).

It really just depends on where you're at with your website, and how confident you are with your idea.

18. JRMarketing WPB profile image60
    JRMarketing WPBposted 12 years ago

This is a very simple question to answer. First off, lets compare the platforms.
    Blogger
                 - Owned by Google (SEO +)
                 - Templates only not much custom code (Webmaster -)
                 - Very limited monetization (Money -)
    Wordpress
                 - Multiple plugins to help manage SEO (SEO +)
                 - Templates and custom code (webmaster +)
                 - Unlimited monetization if you own domain and Hosting package (Money +)

After looking at the comparison, it is easy to see that Wrodpress is your best bet!!! Also, you want to purchase a domain and hosting package. Host gator is cheap and great! Having this will allow you to do whatever you want with your blog and not have to follow strict conforming guidelines. Once you have your blog, you will want to learn how to optimize it for search engines. I teach this for free at Wealth Creations Network. Every thing is free. You should check it out.

19. psf profile image69
    psfposted 12 years ago

Oh my God, too many answers, thanks everyone for the overwhelming responses.

20. mahesh-weerakoon profile image57
    mahesh-weerakoonposted 12 years ago

that is depend on ur interest. first u need to clear ur idea.
    if ur intention is earning money, Go for ur own domain with wordpress or joomla. I can help u for that as a web developer. 2) if ur intention is to share the knowledge or experience please go with blogger or other other website... and finally if u like to earn money during the time of sharing ur knowledge and experience.... use hubpage or some revenue sharing website....... but better to go for an own domain if u are focusing on the revenue....

see i started my own website http://www.lookforwards.com .... I will help u to start ur own website as well...  weerakoon.mahesh@gmail.com see u guys

21. AgesMGMT profile image58
    AgesMGMTposted 12 years ago

I use Wordpress and I have a variety of niche websites running with different WP themes.  You can really have any number of websites with the different theme options.  Its really easy to have them look professional and run adsense ect..

22. maverickserp profile image60
    maverickserpposted 12 years ago

For self-hosted blog, go for Wordpress platform. There's a lot of control you can do, specially plugins for your site's appearance to SEO purposes.

23. reg5566 profile image61
    reg5566posted 12 years ago

I just started my first blog I when with Word-press I have heard that Bogger has some limits of what you can post. I used YouTube to learn how to set it up didn't like Word-press tutorials.

24. Kiwiwi profile image42
    Kiwiwiposted 12 years ago

Wordpress without a question.Many plug-ins and very powerful platform.May be a little hard to figure out at first but its quite simple and easy to use.

25. deblipp profile image59
    deblippposted 12 years ago

Wordpress is MUCH better than Blogger (which is the same thing as Blogspot). It gives you much more flexibility with posting, scheduling, and design. It's a little bit harder to use but you'll be up and running in a day.

26. KarenCreftor profile image83
    KarenCreftorposted 11 years ago

I've compared Blogger and Wordpress in one of my most popular hubs:

http://karencreftor.hubpages.com/hub/Bl … -Wordpress

Hope this helps!
    ~Kaz x

27. tanyachauhan profile image57
    tanyachauhanposted 6 years ago

Hello,
    I would like to suggest you wordpress for blogging, it is one of the best blogging platform. it reveals a wonderful traffic.
    Thank you !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)