Does it strike any one else as odd that there are inordinate amount of religious

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Joseph Lane profile image61
    Joseph Laneposted 12 years ago

Does it strike any one else as odd that there are inordinate amount of religious-types on HubPages?

I ask this with all due respect to everyone's personal belief systems. It just kinda strikes me as odd that nearly every second Hub is religion-themed. I am a rational humanist and a cynic. I could get into all sorts of pissing matches with the blindly devote, but there aren't enough hours in the day. I am curious, is all, as to why HubPages is so attractive to religious-types. Play nice.

2. Neil Sperling profile image60
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

LOL --- for everyone there is an opinion or a belief --- and they show up every where.

Play nice -- that is the key! ... many do, some don't.. C'est la vie

3. Sethareal profile image61
    Setharealposted 12 years ago

Yeah I've noticed this too, instead of Religion and Philosophy it is all religion I try to avoid it like the plague and put my philosophy hubs in some other category. I have a serious problem with anyone who takes things at face value and doesn't question them, to me the questioning is what religion is really all about so I get frustrated with both the blind believers and non-believers.

I think they are attracted to it because of the detachment through the internet as a medium. You can tell Jews they are barbarically mutilating their children, bait religious people there is no God and that you have proof, or tell people about the horrors of Islam and how you can only be saved through Jesus or you will eternally burn. It is a lot harder to do this in person as people fight back in real time and if you are particularly rude you get punched in the face.

4. SylviaSky profile image93
    SylviaSkyposted 12 years ago

No problem to answer. A 2008 poll found that 92 percent of all U.S. residents surveyed believe in God or a higher power, and 71 percent are absolutely certain there is a God or universal spirit. 85 percent believe in heaven. 50 percent pray daily. Similarly high numbers for belief in the power of prayer and so on. The U.S. tradition is majority Christian and Christians are supposed to try to convert people, so they are used to broadcasting their ideas, in this era through the mass media, and hubpages is just another opportunity for them. I would guess most religious hubpages authors are Christians, U.S. or international, belonging to the "absolutely certain" group. Do not bother arguing. Faith is emotional, reason is intellectual. One side can never persuade the other.

5. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 12 years ago

There are a lot of religionistas here on hub pages. And some of them do get a bit OTT with it. Especially those who have given themselves - rather grandiose -  religiously authoritative (I've got a direct line of communication with god) pen names.

6. Joseph Lane profile image61
    Joseph Laneposted 12 years ago

I am all for a diversity of personal views and beliefs. But HubPages is filled with way more bible-thumpers than I am used to. I am curious as to why that is.

7. KateWest profile image64
    KateWestposted 12 years ago

I've noticed that too but have no idea why this particular forum attracts so many religious-minded. Good question!

8. profile image0
    Valoric Fireposted 12 years ago

I made the same observation almost instantly after joining.  I was surprised by the one sided fanatical influence.  Then again religion has to perpetuate itself and so the followers/believers seek out justification and confirmation by sharing their beliefs. Many times to some extent, being protectionist and of course, selling their "wares" to the hordes of heathens and blasphemers certifies the religious "experience".  Instead of door to door, we now have the online.... inconvenience.

9. profile image0
    Marie Brannonposted 12 years ago

Yes, it strikes me as odd, too.  I've only been here a few weeks but I have definitely noticed. 

My personal theory is that many Christians realize that their religion seems to be declining in popularity among the masses, so they are increasing their efforts to proclaim their steadfastness and INSIST their doctrine is the ONLY right way - in public forums.

I have no problem with people who proclaim their faith in public.  I do have a problem with those who try to convert, change, convince, argue and draw others into debate about it.  It just seems like a desperate, last-gasp effort to convince themselves rather than others.  Just saying.

M.

10. The Ghostwriter profile image82
    The Ghostwriterposted 12 years ago

I noticed today that there were several God-related questions but genuinely believe that they are from the hand of someone who is seeking answers...."why me?" type of questions.

It's a good place solicit opinion after all - or a base for market research to gauge interest for a hub?

11. frugalfamily profile image73
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

I think there are two basic answers without sporting stats.  One is that many of these types of hubbers are stay at home mommies who are trying to attract a second income. They have a strong network and connection with thier church or affiliation.  Two is that it is the demand of such affiliation that they be evangelistic.  This is a venue for reaching and preaching.

12. FaithDream profile image78
    FaithDreamposted 12 years ago

I don't consider myself as a religious type but I do write about my faith. I'm a writer and a dreamer. I believe in God so I write about it.

The hubs I write are to inspire someone, to make a difference in someone's life. I started here on hubpages after going through some tough times... a series of losses. In a way hubpages helped me through my grief. I find the HubPage community encouraging and like a family they have embraced my writing.

I don't participate in the questions or forums that discuss religious beliefs as many of them are very negative. I try to maintain a positive outlook in life so I focus on my faith. It helps me.

My hubs inspire me as well. As I have a story to tell so I write about it.

I don't know if that answered your question, but hopefully it gave you some insight from a writer who writes about her faith.

13. onegoodwoman profile image70
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

"inordinate"...........unreasonable limits..............

My answer is "no".

If you or others think otherwise, then perhaps, you should rethink your union with this outlet of expression............rather than complaining about the views of another ( or the many ), perhaps you would be more comfortable with a more select outlet.

Let the masses speak as loudly as the individual.

14. bethperry profile image84
    bethperryposted 12 years ago

Well, I've noticed there are a lot more very personal Christian-oriented hubs than I expected. But as to why I could only speculate. I actually enjoy reading views of different religions, except when the articles get preachy. I'm a pagan, and try to be tolerant of everyone. But it is difficult to read any hub where the content seems a deliberate attempt to convert others or negate other faiths.

15. Psalmist4M profile image79
    Psalmist4Mposted 12 years ago

Well I agree that there are a lot of religious-types on HubPages. I am actually one of them. I also agree with Maria that "that many Christians realize that their religion seems to be declining in popularity among the masses" and we are continuing to stand for our faith. Sky's response is probable and logical. But the Ambassador's comment says it all "If there was no demand for it in knowing whether GOD is real or not then it would slowly fade away." When opportunity is given without risk, most people take it because there is no threat.
    I say, thank you HubPages.

16. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

What I've noticed is that HubPages is full of writers, who by nature tend to be skeptical about practically everything, especially matters of faith.  If there seems to be a high number of religious individuals on HubPages, it could be that they mistakenly see it as a sort of mission field, if you will.  I've run into Christians (and others) of varying degrees of conviction in their faith or unbelief, and each tries to convince others that their way is the best.

I think the assumption - from believers and unbelievers alike - tends to be that they have a captive audience here at HubPages, and both sides want to debunk the skepticism and doubt of the skeptics and bring them firmly into their camp.

That's just my take.  The internet is never anything but a microcosm of the real world, and HubPages is no less than a microcosm of the internet as a whole.

17. profile image0
    lovazaposted 12 years ago

Religion is a very popular topic in Hubpage.  I've noticed that also.  But, everyone is entitled to write about what and why they have a belief.  People have diverse tastes and this forum offers a wide range of topics.  I think a member has the opportunity to pick and choose what they would like to read and discuss.  Most people want to read about what others think about God and other religions because they are seeking for something to believe in or to make a statement that they are correct in what the believe in which I find can be a waste of time and energy.

18. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

i'm not sure where SylviaSky got her stats from because the only stats i could find are no where near the percentages she is claiming. i think the reason there are so many religious hubs is due to doubt. what i mean is that there are lots of people who want to believe in god but they have their doubts and they figure that by writting about religion and god, others will also add to their hopes by grouping together and backing up the claims of gods existence. like anything else in life, if you want to feel better, you surround yourself with folks who think alike out loud.

19. sam3m profile image62
    sam3mposted 12 years ago

bless you for asking that question.  i assume that the high number of religious hubs is related to the subject areas usually written about.  politics, religion, instruction are all large areas of import to people and therefore receive the bulk of material.

20. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

The short answer would be that people are going to write about what they're passionate about. It's as simple as that. If you're passionate about your religion and your god, you're going to broadcast it.

I'm willing to wager that there are just as many hubs about movies, or love, or family.

21. liftandsoar profile image59
    liftandsoarposted 11 years ago

I don't know why others write of religion, but let me tell why I do. I believe the Christian faith is getting a bad rap, mostly because of the way many Christians handle their faith and promote their points of view. I've devoted my life to representing the gospel before a cynical but hurting world. Most congregations are made up of people who already believe and are at various stages of maturity.  Many a pastor finds himself insulated from the world of unbelievers.  We tend to form caricatures of them. I find writing on HubPages a way to interact with those who don't share my perspective. They keep me honest. My goal is not only to explain the Scriptures but to do so in a way that respects the opinions of unbelievers and also the alternate points of view of fellow-believers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)