Should age difference matter in an online relationship?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. kd4rvb profile image60
    kd4rvbposted 12 years ago

Should age difference matter in an online relationship?

Keeping in mind that of both parties the youngest is at least the age of 18 is it alright to have an online relationship if the ages differ a great deal?

ie.. he is 45 she is 22 or she is 55 and he is 28..

These are simply examples of large age differences to help understand the scope and parameters of the question.

2. profile image0
    thirdmillenniumposted 12 years ago

When even  face-to-face relation does not have anything to do with age, the question itself is wrong.  Only, don't try brow-beat the other.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

if both parties are adults, then realistically age doesn't matter. the problem though is that if a girl is 18 and the guy is 50, most people see him as a perv and her as either a gold digger or naive.

4. stricktlydating profile image83
    stricktlydatingposted 12 years ago

It's personal choice.  Most online dating profiles allow you to specify the age range you are seeking when it comes to finding a partner.  So you'll find an age range in most profiles.  I think it's handy as some people will have a preference for certain age ranges, for whatever reason.  For me personally, I wouldn't want to date someone who's around the same as as my father!

5. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 12 years ago

It all depends on the individuals involved and their respective maturity. When I was 22 I started an online relationship with a 49-year-old man -- he ended up moving here, we got married, and now have a beautiful baby girl to boot (and yes, he's older than my parents). It worked out great for us is all I can say smile.

http://wychic.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Do-O … ive-Longer

6. point2make profile image60
    point2makeposted 12 years ago

I don't think that the age difference is that important as much as the generational difference that would be present in say 55 to 28. I think is might prove to be a very difficult hurtle to get over for some. It is certainly true that many people have found each other and the age difference was not an issue. It is also one of the factors that make these relationships uncommon and even special. In the end I don't think age should matter but it may provide some interesting obstacles in the path.

7. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

I've been thinking about your question a lot over the past few days.  Here is my answer: I think that an age difference *may* matter, but it all depends on the 2 individuals.  Regarding the *online* relationship, I don't think it makes a difference if the relationship is online or not... more that it comes down to *maturity* levels of the two.  I agree with nightwork that if they are both adults it is OK... but on the other hand, I strongly believe it's important that both parties of a relationship are on similar intellectual maturity and emotional maturity levels.  This doesn't necessarily mean they have to be similar in chronological age, just that they should be able to discuss things at similar levels.

Speaking for myself and looking back to when I was in my early 20's, I *know* I wouldn't have been mature enough to have a relationship with an older person.  Even if in a situation if I *thought* I was mature enough, hindsight tells me I wouldn't have been.  Then again, I wasn't very emotionally mature anyway.  From the other side of the fence, Wychic's answer proves it can work out. 

So to conclude, I think in some cases it will be OK, in others not.  It's hard to judge an individual situation.  My feeling is that if both can discuss things at the same intellectual and emtional level that they are normally at (no-one is 'reaching up' or 'stooping down' to the other's level), then it is OK.  If people are being something they're not normally, then it's a sign the age gap is a problem.

8. ImYoungAtHeart profile image73
    ImYoungAtHeartposted 12 years ago

Tough question...and it's taken me awhile to answer it, because it has hit close to home. Yes first off both must be adults and although at 18 you are considered an adult. you do not have the wisdom or experiences to build on, that a 30 year old should by then. So I cannot answer for younger adults in such a relationship, but I so hope that their inexperience in life and relationships are not being taken advantage of by someone. But from personal experience, my relationship with a mature 30 year old that was 15+ years younger than i worked wonderfully for over a year until outside influences interfered, namely his mother. So should it matter no, did it matter between us no. Did it create differences between our tastes in music yes but those were respected and actually shared. Did this difference matter to siblings or cousins or friends that saw us both so happy no. But there will be some that are not open to it that do not see the happiness of the couple only the numbers between them. If the relationship can withstand the pull of those people or are lucky enough to not have those people so close in their life, I think it can last. It all depends on the level of maturity of the couple not actual age and the influences of other family and friends close to them.

9. OutsideTheLines profile image60
    OutsideTheLinesposted 12 years ago

Meh. People can love who they want to love as long as its legal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)