What is the most important thing for a successful relationship except love?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (20 posts)
  1. rikabothra profile image61
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

What is the most important thing for a successful relationship except love?

2. profile image0
    Liola Leeposted 12 years ago

Trust, honesty and mutual respect are all important in making a relationship work : )

3. sam3m profile image61
    sam3mposted 12 years ago

communication.  constant communication of problems, expectations and love.  all problems, by definition, can be resolved.  it takes an effort on the part of both partners to assist in the resolution.
    partners also need support, assurance and encouragement, as well as the exchange of words of love.

4. profile image0
    .josh.posted 12 years ago

If I had to choose one thing: trust. A relationship simply can't - and won't - work without it.

5. Escobana profile image77
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

A part from all the other answers I'd say, self knowledge. If you don't know who you are and what you really want in life, you can be with the sweetest person, and not feel happy at all. To be entirely happy with oneself before starting that serious commitment, is absolutely an extra garantuee to be happy with another person.

Furthermore a successful relationship besides love is only a real good one if the sex is passionate and stays that way. If that part fades out like a candle, you might as well split up and find someone else.

The whole sex part in a relationship should be as much a task in keeping it passionate, as well as all the other tasks there are in a relationship. How do I know? I've had my share of break-ups and consider myself quite experienced in, how not to have a successful relationship:-)

6. Jonny Tyson profile image61
    Jonny Tysonposted 12 years ago

No conflicting major personal beliefs. smile

7. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years ago

Trust, communication, Feeling comfortable. Having respect for each other. x

8. profile image0
    darknight444posted 12 years ago

i dont know
    but in my country mariage is soo greate
    the man and the woman love each other and get used on each other and thy always with each others and respect antill thy became amoste one human it soo scary but greate
    it got nothink to do aboute comunication at all
    it very anormal but soo greate at the same time

9. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 12 years ago

True communication and honesty.

What I mean about true communication and honesty is telling the truth even if it hurts their feelings for a minute.

Example:  Wife~Honey,do these jeans make my butt look wide?
              Husband~Not really,but put a red flad in your back pocket,you need that for wide loads and you don't need any tickets.

10. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 12 years ago

1) Reciprocally hearing and meeting core relationship needs;

2) Having realistic expectations about how long term healthy relationships really work (the real ups and downs);

3) Hanging out with family and friends who are pro-marriage or supportive of healthy long term relationships;

4) Knowing that there's most often no such thing as "harmless flirting";

5) The ability to set protective relationship boundaries;

6) Verbal criticism’s destroy relationships; learn to express, hear and meet the relationship need they concele;

7) Put your partner before all other people;

11. makusr profile image59
    makusrposted 12 years ago

The most important thing is understanding, giving space and keeping expectations low. Try to live in present. Prejudice and feeling to be a winner always kills a relationship.

12. danielleantosz profile image75
    danielleantoszposted 12 years ago

Learning how to fight productively instead of just getting angry and not communicating.

13. shanaya profile image59
    shanayaposted 12 years ago

Except LOVE, Trust, Respect, and Communication is the Most Important thing.

14. KateWest profile image65
    KateWestposted 12 years ago

I have to reiterate the communication thing. Nothing is more important then hearing, understanding and validating each other.

15. jacqui2011 profile image81
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I think that it would have to be honesty, trust and respect.

16. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

Common interests outside of the home and family.
    Partners who do things actively, that are not part of the relationship, help people bond deeper. Whether it is a simple hobby or a serious pursuit it will build both confidence and a feeling of being a team rather than you and them.
    Becoming too much "best friends" hurts a relationship, especially in the area of sex.
    Keeping a strong sex life is another thing that is often forgotten, x10 when there are children. Set apart time every day to connect at least a little. It doesn't have to be wild animal sex, although that won't hurt, but hug when you might just touch, kiss when you might just hug. When you do kiss make it a real kiss not just a peck. And that animal sex does have a place so make sure that it happens and that you aren't interrupted.
    There is a time to stop answering the phone, unless it is an emergency. Tell your friends and family a code and make it very clear that if they abuse the code you won't answer the next time.
    When you are out in public walking, hold hands, no matter how old you are. If you are the man you should be opening the doors and pulling the chairs. It isn't about her power to be independent it is about showing that she can depend on you to have her back.
    Women; if a man opens the door for you, be it your partner or a stranger, its not because he thinks you can't do it.
    Before you go to sleep every night take the time to hold each other, even if you have been fighting.
    Finally; sex isn't a card to be played to your advantage. Play that game and your partner will find another dealer who doesn't hold the aces over their head.

17. mcrawford76 profile image88
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

Trust is the #1 ingredient in any relationship. Without complete trust everything else will eventually fall apart.

18. Hezekiah profile image85
    Hezekiahposted 12 years ago

Very important to understand that you can "Never completely understand your partners actions". Most arguments arise from one party trying to question another persons actions, when in many cases there is no clear reason.

If I come one day and wife is moody and mouthy. I just have to let it go, I will never say what's the problem? unless there is any major issue to be solved.

I would expect her thing the same, we are humans and have up and down days. Need to endure at times to keep peace at home.

19. KiandraRutledge profile image67
    KiandraRutledgeposted 12 years ago

Integrity...having a set of values, standards and principles that you follow no matter what.  People with integrity are not easily sway and that makes for a stable and reliable relationship.  You can also trust a person with integrity to be faithful.

20. Extinct Soul profile image60
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

I don't know if I missed it..but I haven't read "mystery", I think I have to add this one. A little mystery to spice up the relationship, keeping your partner intrigue with you. Communicate and be true but keep some little cute secrets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)