Ugliness exists. Inner beauty does not. Is inner beauty something constant and

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. kallini2010 profile image79
    kallini2010posted 12 years ago

Ugliness exists.  Inner beauty does not.  Is inner beauty something constant and beyond argument?

Besides that it is almost impossible to define what constitutes INNER BEAUTY, there are other factors that make Inner Beauty questionable.  If kindness is beautiful, are kind people are always KIND? or it depends on the context and situation and time of the day?  The same person is capable of being mean and cruel given different situation.  None of us is just good or bad, black or white - we have both - therefore ARE WE BEAUTIFUL INSIDE? Or is it a myth we get so comfortable believing in?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5485916_f260.jpg

2. iviskei profile image72
    iviskeiposted 12 years ago

I think it's all a matter of perception. Things that are beautiful and things that are ugly are all different for different people.

What on earth is that animal? It's absolutely adorable~!

3. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 12 years ago

Inner beauty exists and resides on the inside as in attitude and motives.  Therefore a kind act (which is external) is not the measure of inner beauty; but selflessness or sacrifice is. 

You're right in stating that the same person who is beautiful on the inside could at times be also ugly.  The most beautiful rose has a thorn; and if you handle the stem carelessly, you could be pricked. The rose is still beautiful; it just has a preference in how it likes to be handled. 

Because the inner beauty resides in a fallible human being, a beautiful person could act or react out of character.  The beauty in that person will far outweigh the ugly.   

May I share my hub that illustrates inner beauty?  :http://msdora.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Evaluate-Your-Beauty-Without-Using-A-Glass-Mirror

4. Rehana Stormme profile image71
    Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years ago

I read somewhere that 'ugly' people are the ones who insist that 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder' and that 'the beauty that counts is inner beauty'. Inner beauty is subjective and not mathematically quantifiable.

In that way, I don't think inner beauty is constant - unlike say, beautiful eyes or soft pink lips. But even then, physical beauty too is disputed among people. Anyway inner beauty just like temper, emotions, feelings - changes with every situation and action.

People can have arguments about who is more physically beautiful than the other. In the same way, people can argue about whether someone has true inner beauty or not. So to answer your question, inner beauty is certainly not something constant and beyond argument.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years ago

I think there are some people who always have inner beauty, and some are here at hubs. I have met people in life that I so wish I could be like and I am not a mean person, I see no need to just be hateful out of the blue. Women blame it often on PMS and I have known a few of those personally..family, friends. Men I don't think need an excuse but I think some people take kindness for weakness and will try to walk all over someone who is kind and does not want trouble but I am one of those that will only take so much. If I have done nothing to someone who gets mean with me I will walk away, but not before I tell you what you are.

6. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 12 years ago

I do believe in inner beauty.  While no one is perfect, nor is anyone ever happy and polite 100% of the time, I know there are people who strive to be...myself included.  No matter what is going on in my life, I strive to be as positive as possible to everyone in my path, as well as I do my best to be there for anyone as well.  Do I always succeed?  No, because I'm not perfect, but I do try.  I love being there for people do to whatever I can to help no matter what the problem is.  While I've never really considered myself to have outside beauty, I know that I am very beautiful on the inside.

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I disagree with the entire premise of this question entirely.

8. edhan profile image39
    edhanposted 12 years ago

It is the acceptance of each other then we will realise the inner beauty.

It is natural that we may appear to be attracted with the outer beauty but it will not last forever. Beauty will fade away but inner beauty of a person goes through life.

Acceptance of a person for the inner beauty means a long lasting relationship. If one accepts the outer beauty, it will fade in time. I had witnessed in the past where loving someone for outer beauty is just a whim of desire and did not last long.

So, even though one may feel that outer beauty is the first attraction but I always believe in knowing and being with one who holds the inner beauty.

9. anupma profile image67
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

Beauty and ugliness are two faces of one coin. If beauty exists, then ugliness is also there; and if ugliness is there, then there must be beuty. Both are incomplete without each other. This principle is not only for beauty and ugliness, but also for every thing, whether it is white black, sun and moon, day night. . . for everything. We can value anything only when we know its other aspect as well. For example if a person knows only happiness, he never saw a sad moment in his life, then how could he define happiness. . .
    You asked inner beauty (kindness) changes with time and condition. Yes, it is true. Actually the main is that we always expect. One must do this thing, one should follow this, one should not behave like this. We never see ourselves, what we are, what we are doing? Are we up to mark? No, actually everything depends on us, how we see things. May be what we are blaming as injustice, it would be just. So I agree with Keats "Beauty in Eyes of Beholder".

10. rikabothra profile image61
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

Well 'inner' beauty and 'outer' beauty are a matter of debate. However, to me inner beauty is about being the person you are and accepting youself and others as the way they are. Kindness can not always equal to inner beauty or any other particular virtues for that matter. It is definitely a difficult task to always be good to people but what matters at the end of the day is that fact you do not have any regrets. I do not think we can define 'inner' beauty easily, to me it will always be about being trueto yourself and others.

On a different note, I love the picture!

11. tsmog profile image86
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

It appears the real question is "are we beautiful inside?" the smart a** retort would be "lets go outside where I can see better, its dark in here." just kidding. Thinking about it over a few sips of coffee my answer would be = that is a complicated question. What a great hub idea!!! Maybe it is my contemplative mood now, but I'll fall on the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder,"

12. profile image0
    Andre Sanchezposted 11 years ago

Beauty = Nearness to an Ideal
    Ugliness = Corruption of an Ideal

Inner beauty is simply nearness to an inner ideal. In that sense it exists.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

GOOD POINT INDEED!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)