If you were asked to sell 5 years of your life, how much would it cost? Would yo

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. richardmohacsi profile image61
    richardmohacsiposted 12 years ago

If you were asked to sell 5 years of your life, how much would it cost? Would you accept $500,000?

So you wake up tomorrow with the cash in a bag, you are 5 years older and you have missed 5 years of news.
    A kind of Rip Van Winkle question.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5902229_f260.jpg

2. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

I'd have to know what those five years would contain before considering the question, but unless there were a lot more than the cash involved that half a million bucks wouldn't cut it.

3. Dawit T profile image60
    Dawit Tposted 12 years ago

It sounds fair enough in the beginning.
    But I'm sure that later on I'll regret the decision. And it seems kind of wrong. I believe that our life is a gift that is given us, and selling it for money, isn't a very good way to appreciate our life. 5$ or 500,000$? No matter how many zeros that it is, it is still just money. Compared to a a humans life I don't believe money as any value.

But again, then you could say that you gave five years for 500,000$ to charity. Would it still be wrong then?

4. TheSolarSage profile image60
    TheSolarSageposted 12 years ago

I always think of my life like episodes of my story, would you accept money to miss an entire season of friends? or something that you might feel strongly about watching, the things is when the money is spent, its gone, it disappears, but the memories of your life you can never lose. why trade something infinite for something finite. I'm a little hungover but i wanted to give you the best answer i could muster because its an awesome question, very deep, I hope I've given you what your looking for dude. keep searching for truth.

5. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

Nope, my life is very precious to me & I'm worth Billions if not Trillions of dollars, after some good investors find out what I've done with the web "lol". 

Just imagine if Mark Zuckerburg decided to do such a thing, where would Facebook be, and all our lively communications with friends, family, businesses, and even FB pets be at.  Heck Google+ probably wouldn't have ever come into existence neither, and all the wanna be social networks in hot pursuit. 

I wouldn't sell myself for anything, oh shoot maybe giving in too investors is selling out, ummmm I gotta do some research and get back at this question. hahhaa

6. Gareth Pritchard profile image74
    Gareth Pritchardposted 12 years ago

It sounds a bit dodgy, what happens to me in those 5 years?

£64.321 British pounds a year, not bad money and I wouldn't mind missing 5 years news, its all bad anyway, not sure its truthful, so more like missing 5 years of propaganda and lies.

Would it be $500,000 in future value taking into account that with world economy's grinding to a halt at present in 5 years time it might not even be valid because they might refinance everything? 

Interesting idea, thanks.

7. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

People do this everyday.  They go to work, then go home to sleep for far less than a $100k a yr.

8. richardmohacsi profile image61
    richardmohacsiposted 12 years ago

Some great answers. Love them.

To clarify. Rip Van Winkle fell asleep under a tree and wakes up 100 years later.
    But in this question, you wake up 5 years later, 5 years older older and $500,000 richer (or would you demand more/less)? You do not experience life during these 5 years.
    So it's a little different to selling your life by going to work each day. But good point IntimatEvolution.
    And the economy - that's just a gamble you'll have to take. Factor that in your answer and the number of zeros!
    Hope your hangover clears SolarSage. Good answer even with a fuzzy head.
    I like how your mind works Cloud Explorer. Maybe Zuckerberg wouldn't have accepted the deal. But it's your life, not Zuckerberg's.
    It seems that "All news is bad news" Gareth. Completely agree, except if you watch French news. They still have the "good news spot".

Awesome. Thanks, keep them coming!

9. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

My life has special value especially to Almighty God my Father. You would have to ask God the value He places on me for that time.

10. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't accept it. Why would I want to sell 5 years of my life? Who cares about $500,000? I would rather have memories of vacations, being with people I care about, and enjoying what little life I have.

11. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

No, I wouldn't sell those 5 years. I am at the age now where I realize there is not an unlimited amount of time ahead of me.  I want to spend every bit of time I can with my family.

12. Agnes Penn profile image60
    Agnes Pennposted 12 years ago

Not one penny, and I need every penny till I can find a paying job! 
    Every hour of every day is precious to me even if sooo many times I don't like what happens to me or my decisions are poor.  I want to live, whatever God allows me to live.  He put me here for a reason and He is in control, not me.

13. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

Well, now that you've clarified your question further, I have even more questions. I have a wonderful life with wonderful people. What happens to my friends and family while I'm asleep? Will they know what's happened to me? Will they think I just disappeared off the face of the earth? Will I still be in their lives, only in a coma-like state?

But that's all just argumentative. In the end $500K is far too small a price to consider, since it's very possible to earn that much in 5 years, if one has a good job, and one would continue to live life with one's loved ones. So I guess my answer is no.

14. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

I have spent the last 5 years of my life in a hospital bed 4 x a week for 4.5 hours' each time as a dialysis patient ,due to kidney cancer.

My days' off dialysis are spent at other wards at the hospital being tested and checked for other related side affects and diseases.

In answer to your question no amount of money could replace the 5 years' I have lost to my illness.

During this 5 year's I have learned money means nothing. I would willingly give away all the money and possesions I own to be disease free for  the last 5 years'.

Although sleeping for 100 years appeals to me greatly LOL.

15. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

absolutely no...that wouldn't even cover a millisecond...no price on this life.

16. Daffy Duck profile image60
    Daffy Duckposted 12 years ago

Yes I would.  As it stands I will be working for the rest of my life.  Because of the economy and unemployment I have nothing saved up for retirement..

17. bizarropaul profile image61
    bizarropaulposted 12 years ago

are we talking about a cryotube type deal, like something for scientific study, or like letting someone live your life for 5 years while you sleep? could be risky, but im sure some people would accept depending on if they have anything to lose.

18. athena2011 profile image57
    athena2011posted 12 years ago

That's a really tough question. Definitely caused me to think long and hard about it though.

I agree with IntimatEvolution that people sell years of their lives for much less than that by working at a job.

$500,000 is a lot of money so it makes the idea tempting, however, I believe that our creator has a plan for our lives and it doesn't include trading away some years for instant gratification.

So, for me, I would not accept the offer.

19. onegoodwoman profile image68
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

I    could not put a montary worth on any tomorrow............

But I would trade all of them.............

just

to have

one more day

of my children's youth.

I would trade all of my tomorrow's and whatever things they could possibly bring, to have my children be little girls again, tugging at my knee, asking, " Mama"............Yes, knowing what I now know, after learning, what I have learned........with the patience that I have developed through the years............

YES, I would trade all of my tomorrows for a single yesterday.......of Motherhood to little children

I am betting my very life:   if I could go back and do it again......I could do it better!

Is there ANYONE who can make me such a trade?...............Anyone?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)