Do you find yourself spending many hours on hubpages instead of something else?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. rutley profile image63
    rutleyposted 12 years ago

Do you find yourself spending many hours on hubpages instead of something else?

Are you so consumed that your work is not getting done in other areas of your life?  It is a bit addicting!

2. SimpleGiftsofLove profile image70
    SimpleGiftsofLoveposted 12 years ago

For me it is choice, choice to think and expand my world, and to support others who are interested in writing and developing their writing.

3. MissFrost profile image60
    MissFrostposted 12 years ago

YES, YES, and YES! I joined a few weeks ago for fun. I have been spending way too much time on here...I go back and forth telling myself, "well, there are worse things you could be doing" and "you should be applying to grad schools not reading other hubs"

4. mljdgulley354 profile image59
    mljdgulley354posted 12 years ago

Hubpages is very addicting. I was warned by my daughter tlpoague when I started on hubpages it was addicting. For me writing hubs and reading hubs has been a very uplifting experience.

5. maxravi profile image45
    maxraviposted 12 years ago

Yes it is little addictive for me too.I spend almost 1 hour daily on it!

6. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

Yes it is addictive.  I have found myself spending way too much time here, to the detriment of other activities.  But over time, I have been able to find a balance.

7. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

As I have a lot of time on my hands I do spend many many hours on here! However I did take a pause during Christmas holidays and reloaded myself for some new inspiration.

I'm ready for some new Hubs and Hub activity! And the addiction continues:-)

8. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

Unquestionably yes--just ask my wife!

But we'll dine out on my check next month, probably, so perhaps that will help restore domestic harmony.

9. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

Absolutely! LOL! And it's not always writing hubs either. I can spend ages just browsing throught the site - reading hubs, questions and so on. Before I know it, hours have passed and yes, other things have been neglected!

10. liftandsoar profile image61
    liftandsoarposted 12 years ago

Addicting carries a negative flavor.  How about entrancing?  Sure!  Why not spend a lot of time on something you enjoy and with people you feel like you know?  So is this a sign of our times?  That we get more attached to cyberspace friends than neighborhood friends?  Not sure what to think about that.

11. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

ABSOLUTELY!  Allow me to invite you to read my Hub....."Hub Fever"......it says it all!   Thanks and Peace, friend.

12. Rosemay50 profile image60
    Rosemay50posted 12 years ago

Definetly addictive. The first thing I do when I get up is sit down with my first coffee to see what has been happening.
    Often put off other jobs, Oh the vacuuming will wait until tomorrow, forget the shops I'll make do with whats in the fridge until tomorrow.
    But it is something I enjoy, reading other hubs, learning new things. Finding fabulous recipes., visiting exciting places.
    A worthwhile addiction don't you think

13. calico Stark profile image62
    calico Starkposted 12 years ago

Oh my yes! I am on here sometimes 13 hours straight. This is more than my job, I consider you all new family in awonderful loving community!Dare I say it, it is more addicting than facebook! I believe this being it is a community of such great support, from extremely gifted, expressive people. Do I leave other things unattended? I believe last night dishes in the sink and a overflowing laundry basket answers that question!  I am looking forward to reading what my new hubbing family members have to say

14. DougBerry profile image81
    DougBerryposted 12 years ago

Yes.  Now instead of working, eating, sleeping, or just generally living I'm either writing or reading Hubs, answering questions, or thinking about one of the above.

I now have a ZZ-Topish beard, severe halitosis, and my cats are trying to see if I'm edible.

The stench from my fingers constantly moving is causing my eyes to water.  It's hard to find words, to concentrate, or to think about anything other than my next accolade.  Will I get it?  Will I not?  Will it matter?  Willie Horton or will 'e not get elected.  (go find a video for "Television, Drug of a Nation" if you suddenly got confused at the end.)

15. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

I wish I could spend more time, just too busy at the moment. I find it relaxing and creative at the same time.

16. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

As an apsireing writer I work at HubPages as a job, part time and with limits. Who was it that said "Find a passion and a career is bound to follow"? Thats how it is with HP. Love it

17. Rachel Richmond profile image59
    Rachel Richmondposted 12 years ago

LOL, Only in the evenings. Ha!  After dinner since it seems like hours will go by before I know it!  Everything else is done before hand.. smile

18. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

Yes!  It is very addictive.  I need to limit myself to when I come onto hubpages, because when I plan on it being a short visit, I always end up staying here for a very very long time!  I need to make sure that I have other things done before coming on here, or else they will not get done!!

calico Stark, I love your answer.  13 hours sounds such a long time, but I can totally understand how that can happen. smile

rutley, I wonder if you are finding the same thing?  I assume that's what prompted your question!

19. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Yes. I have surprised myself. I have behaved like a prospector who has been out in the desert digging for gold, alone. I found a nugget, went to town and I can't quit talking to everyone who will stop long enough to listen.

I think it is worth the effort. I have learned more here about what course I need to take than I have on my own in two years of piddling around. Like almost everyone here, I am trying to establish or extend my career into something I like to do.

Also I am a magazine nut. This is like Atlantic Monthly on international steroids. There are very few writers on HubPages who aren't worth reading. I love poetry, but almost never write it myself. At least half of my time is taken up with reading. It has replaced TV in my life. What's wrong with that?

20. Kris Heeter profile image72
    Kris Heeterposted 12 years ago

Yes:)  Although that "something else" could be something unproductive like watching TV or mindlessly surfing the internet.   

I've enjoyed reading many of the hubs and have run across some pretty cool stuff (and people) here!

21. jesimpki profile image91
    jesimpkiposted 12 years ago

I'll agree, it is addicting, but its a good addiction, haha.  Lately, I've been reading more than watching TV which I normally do in my free time.

22. suzzycue profile image87
    suzzycueposted 12 years ago

Yes I do spend lots of time here also but I am enjoying connecting with people here that have the same interests as me, like fishing, art from found objects. I am sharing my pictures as well as my art and fellow hubbers are looking and reading and enjoying my hubs. So to that I say thank you for all your support my fellow hubbers and do not think hubpages any waste of time at all.

23. always exploring profile image76
    always exploringposted 12 years ago

I can respond with a LOUD yes..I wonder what i did before Hubpages..I know i'm addicted, but i enjoy every minute i spend writing and reading other's hubs..

24. bloggernotjogger profile image60
    bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years ago

It's an addiction, my laptop is currently out for repair and I am feeling withdrawal symptoms.

25. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

What else is there? HubPages is my home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)