What are the basics of your favorite sport? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

What are the basics of your favorite sport? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Don’t know what to write about this week? Why not explain your favorite sport to someone who has never played it! Whether your interest is in flag football, jousting, table tennis, or luging, you have a lot of helpful expertise that can be shared with absolute newbies. Stop by our forum thread for search-friendly title ideas and community support: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91644

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5823123_f260.jpg

2. billericky profile image72
    billerickyposted 12 years ago

Twenty two men running around a field kicking a round air filled object into a net.

This was the basic information my missus said when I was going to watch the football.

Please note, I have omitted the thirty two cuss words that were intermingled with the sentence that she originally said.

3. hockeylady profile image60
    hockeyladyposted 12 years ago

In my favourite sport.  It's ten men on skates chasing a rubber disc along a sheet of ice trying to put it in the opposing team's net.

4. Grant's World profile image80
    Grant's Worldposted 12 years ago

A beginners guide to bodybuilding. Learn how to build muscle. Bodybuilding for beginners. read more

5. teyeger82 profile image63
    teyeger82posted 12 years ago

This hub enlightens those who have never been exposed to the sport of wrestling, especially mothers of wrestlers. read more

6. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 12 years ago

Learn about pickleball, an outdoor game similar to table tennis, played on a badminton court with paddles and a whiffle ball.  Rules of the game, a description of the court and pickleball equipment and lots of resources for people looking for places to play, including leagues and tournaments. read more

7. alissaroberts profile image79
    alissarobertsposted 12 years ago

After signing your child up for T-Ball or Coach Pitch, you may be wondering what kind of equipment your beginning ball player will need. Here is a helpful list to ensure a successful first ball season for your child. read more

8. Melovy profile image93
    Melovyposted 12 years ago

Most people have heard of the “dive reflex,” which apparently means that babies are born able to swim. But there is more to the dive reflex than most of us assume, and some of its effects may not be what you would want for your baby. If you are thinking about teaching a young baby to swim read this article first. read more

9. Cliff Mendrez profile image89
    Cliff Mendrezposted 12 years ago

Have you ever wondered about the origin of the butt slap? When did it begin? Who started this strange antic? Well, sorry but I'm asking those questions myself. But if you want to learn the art of butt slapping, read on my friend. read more

10. Lindy's World profile image60
    Lindy's Worldposted 12 years ago

What youth Travel Hockey is all about. read more

11. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

A pair of boots, a backpack, a car that will get me to roadhead ...

12. CeeGunn profile image71
    CeeGunnposted 12 years ago

Jousting is a competitive sport between armored riders on horses, who use a large lance to charge at each other at high speed.  Not much is actually known about the rules of Medieval jousting tournaments. General ideas can be gleaned from the... read more

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Introduction to the basics of in-line skating for fun and exercise. read more

14. JanHeath profile image60
    JanHeathposted 12 years ago

A brief introduction to the sport of rogaining including an explanation of the types of rogaining, historical origins and contacts for further informnation. read more

15. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Water sports are often more fun with a swim board. Body boards, kick boards and aquatic noodles have been very popular in the marketplace. Of course, they all stem from the grandfather of all boards, the surf board. There is a new swim board on the market, made especially for the swimming pool. Here is a beginner's guide to understanding this small, blue, buoyant tool called the EZ Swimmer. The sea horse is just like a balance ball in the water yet the EZ Swimmer offers much more. Check out... read more

16. Eight8Consulting profile image57
    Eight8Consultingposted 12 years ago

When you learn how to use your team to save your king its Chess!!!

17. anisetta profile image56
    anisettaposted 12 years ago

Figure Ice Skating

Good balance, strong and supporting skates, warm clothes, desire to have fun, and just a small fear fo falling.  Small fear of falling so that I can learn to respect gravity and not take off like crazy when I do not know how to stop. Of course, with this comes the fundamental skill of learning how to fall first, then how to take a small step, and just let go and glide free like the wind!

The music can be any type that fancies me at that moment. Sometimes I like classic music, other times I feel like dancing to a romantic bolero, or get excited with dramatic opera.  no matter what type of music, figure ice skating just transports me to a different world as soon as I get on ice! It is a beautiful sport!

18. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

Learn how to play girl's lacrosse! Learn about the equipment, players, field markings and basic rules of girl's lacrosse! read more

19. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

A detailed explanation of finding the correct tennis racket grip size.  Includes helpful photos and hints. read more

20. Teresita Rivera profile image62
    Teresita Riveraposted 12 years ago

Sipa was my playtime favorite with friends while growing up in the Philippines.  This should reconnect me to it.  So I started looking at resources available around and to my surprise, it seems that the sport dates back to that time before the Spaniards came to our country.  This should be interesting for history buffs out there!

21. Just Ask Susan profile image88
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

A fun sport for girls and boys ages four to eight. read more

22. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

This game has been called a cross between water polo, ice hockey, soccer, and basketball. Throw in jousting and daredevil kayaking, and you will have a fair idea of mix - and don't forget kayak rolling and holding your breath underwater! Some basic equipment will soon get you in the game... read more

23. Ruchira profile image73
    Ruchiraposted 12 years ago

Cricket is gaining popularity and is a team sport. It is ideal for children aged 5 and above to learn this game which will help develop their mind, body and spirit. read more

24. Marie Gail profile image75
    Marie Gailposted 12 years ago

Do you know how to behave at your child's sporting events? Here are some dos and don'ts to help you out, along with a bit of humor to keep you smiling through it all. read more

25. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Snooker is a great game for young and old alike. Here are a few tips for beginners read more

26. hush4444 profile image60
    hush4444posted 12 years ago

I guarantee there will be no duplicate content on this subject! http://hush4444.hubpages.com/hub/How-To … onary-Tale

27. perfectperception profile image59
    perfectperceptionposted 12 years ago

I am a football fan but as long as I've been watching, I am still not completely knowledgeable about every aspect of the game.  Especially some of the calls.  I find myself not agreeing a lot of times with what is a penalty.  Still I love the game and feel a little sadness when the season ends.

28. DeborahNeyens profile image93
    DeborahNeyensposted 12 years ago

Your questions about starting a yoga practice are answered.  Find out why you should be doing yoga and how to begin. read more

29. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

Rock climbing can be challenging physically and mentally but is a lot of fun. Here is a list of basic equipment you'll need and tips and techniques for this sport. read more

30. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

Have you ever heard of the sport called power tumbling? It is similar to gymnastics... but different! Read on to find out exactly what power tumbling involves, how it compares to traditional gymnastics and whether it is the right sport for you. In this article you will also find video clips of some awesome power tumbling athletes in action. read more

31. alliemacb profile image88
    alliemacbposted 11 years ago

Shinty is one of the national sports of Scotland and is widely played in the Scottish Highlands. read more

32. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Curling has been a sport since the medieval ages. It is thought to have originated in Scotland. The rules are easy to understand...sort of. read more

33. TFScientist profile image78
    TFScientistposted 11 years ago

Dodgeball - the sport where YOU are the target! No longer the reserve of school PE lessons, Dodgeball is a rapidly growing sport in both the UK and the US. Requiring no particular skill set, dodgeball can be played by all. Learn how here! read more

34. Gamerelated profile image73
    Gamerelatedposted 11 years ago

A simple guide to the rules of basketball with illustrations and videos for beginning players.  This guide will explain the most commonly violated rules on offense. read more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)