Where did the term man and woman first came from ?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Sky9106 profile image67
    Sky9106posted 12 years ago

Where did the term man and woman first came from ?

This is a great thought , which came to my head, and I said that I am not going to look it up on Google before I ask this forum. Never even thought about it before, but I read it in the Bible.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 12 years ago

The funny answer to this is that the word woman comes from "woe to man"...don't know if that's true, but many men would think so!!

Sky9106posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Time T . In case you are not aware this is the stop where all earthly questions must be answered. Man, when he has finally understood himself , there can be no" Woe" caused by any other of God's  creation. We must accept our roles.

3. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

The word "man" is Gothic. You find a variant of it in all Germanic languages, including English. It originally referred to any human being, either male or female. It still does today when used in the general sense, e.g. "mankind." Another old English word for a male was "weapman," or a person with a weapon. Use your imagination.

The specific female counterpart to wer was "wif." The term for all female persons was "wifman." That is the origin of the word "woman."

The Bible is a collection of documents originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and perhaps other languages. Its codex did not form until the fourth century A.D. at which time it was copied in Byzantine Greek, then in Latin. The first partial English translation of which we know is that of the Venerable Bede, late in the seventh century. That is where these words first appear. Should you wish to look into them before that, you will have to read the other tongues of earlier times.

Quite profound, Thanks.

4. H P Roychoudhury profile image43
    H P Roychoudhuryposted 12 years ago

I think in the Universe if everything is known there would not be any charm. The uncertainty in any matter raises our curiosity and we like to move on. Where the term man and woman first came from did- is the vital question prevailing in the Globe since the known birth of the Earth. There are two kinds of answers so far known to us. One is the power of Almighty who created man and woman in the Earth and the other is the scientific, the birth of life is due to a natural accident which never ever could have been created to form the protoplasm.

Wonderful HPR Wonderful ! I think evolution is quite the legitimate child of creation.

5. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 12 years ago

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?all … hmode=none

man (n.)
    O.E. man, mann "human being, person," from P.Gmc. *manwaz (cf. O.S., O.H.G. man, Ger. Mann, O.N. maĆ°r, Goth. manna "man"), from PIE root *man- (cf. Skt. manuh, Avestan manu-, O.C.S. mozi, Rus. muzh "man, male"). Sometimes connected to root *men- "to think" (see mind), which would make the ground sense of man "one who has intelligence," but not all linguists accept this. Liberman, for instance, writes, "Most probably man 'human being' is a secularized divine name" from Mannus, "believed to be the progenitor of the human race."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?all … hmode=none

woman
    late O.E. wimman (pl. wimmen), lit. "woman-man," alteration of wifman (pl. wifmen), a compound of wif "woman" (see wife) + man "human being" (in O.E. used in ref. to both sexes; see man). Cf. Du. vrouwmens "wife," lit. "woman-man." The formation is peculiar to English and Dutch. Replaced older O.E. wif, quean as the word for "female human being." The pronunciation of the singular altered in M.E. by the rounding influence of -w-; the plural retains the original vowel. Meaning "wife," now largely restricted to U.S. dial. use, is attested from mid-15c. Women's liberation is attested from 1966; women's rights is from 1840, with an isolated example in 1630s.

Amazing...

6. HubCrafter profile image59
    HubCrafterposted 12 years ago

in Genesis 1:26 the Bible says, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness....

So God named man.

Genesis 2:22 (God creates woman from the man, Adam.)

Genesis 2:23
    And Adam said:
    "This is now bone of my bones
    And flesh of my flesh:
    She shall be called Woman,
    because she was taken out of Man."

So Adam named Woman.

I am 100% with the bible and quite open to all translations .

7. ib radmasters profile image61
    ib radmastersposted 12 years ago

I don't know the purpose of the question?
    Then add mankind, and ask how to apply it to man and woman.
    Then try All Men Are Created Equal and apply it to man and woman.
    These derivation are imprecise and don't translate directly.

My thought is that at the time that man and woman were created was also a time when Males ran the world, and Females were treated like Chattel with the exception of a few queens, princesses but they were exceptions rather than the rule.

The question as so many seems to stop where the bible places them , and I am a believer that won't allow my belief to stop. Thanks.

8. hillymillydee profile image60
    hillymillydeeposted 12 years ago

The term man means male man, the term woman means female man.

The first language that was used by the first man and woman was  one kind of hebrew language that was where that terms came from, it was transliterated to many languages and especially to english and so we say it "man and woman."

The first man called his wife a woman because from his ribs the woman was taken Gen. 2:22

I think the Bible puts it the best , so thanks.

9. kess profile image61
    kessposted 10 years ago

Need not say man represent male/masculinity and woman represent female/femininity, but it is relevant to the rest of the story.

The two is a representation of the duality of our earthly existence.

Maleness is a representation of singularity, wholeness, perfection, rest.without any need.
    This is the totality of existence and referred to as Heaven or the God head and the father figure.

The female exist as separate from, antagonistic against, derivative of maleness.

This is represented as earth and all thing contained therein.
    From this we have  the expression Mother earth.

The Highest expression of femaleness is Wife and mother.
    This she attain in being in union with and subjected to maleness in the form of her husband.

This is why Adam's Wife was the one who was came from himself and any other female found in the garden.

There was another in the garden who embodied the feminine spirit, but is wholly useless to Adam and her goal was to totally dominate the male, which would circumvent the purpose for the embodiment of Maleness as man.

Adam rejected her as his wife.

I hope you can see the picture of the origin of  the genders and how they relate to us a human.

I can say much more in many different ways, but since the understanding mind can pick sense out of nonsense, i believe I have written enough.

You sure have and have managed to place a broad smile across my face . Now in case you need to know the purpose of that smile, here goes . There is a word in here which I know will place you in a position of having to explain. .
      I would read on , .

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well shoot  I am happy to explain.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)