What are your tips for creating, sticking to, & managing a family budget? (Weekl

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

What are your tips for creating, sticking to, & managing a family budget? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Budgeting as a single person is significantly different from creating and managing a family budget? What advice would you give to others looking to create, stick to, and improve their family budgets? Share your tips in Hub Answer form as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge. For group support and search-friendly titles you can use, stop by our forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/94145

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4115724_f260.jpg

2. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

Investing some time planning your family budget can save you lots of money.
    Things you need to do to gain personal financial stability. read more

3. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 12 years ago

I manage a budget for our family of 7 (which means about 140 meals a week) and we also do a lot of entertaining and providing meals for other people (I fed 45 people this last weekend for two different events).  I look for bargains at the supermarket.  I know that meat is on sale on M to W morning.  I take it home and freeze or cook it right away.   Another key to budgeting is asking "Do I really need this?  Is there anything else I already have that can do this job?"  Finally, I think that it is important to teach our kids to ask those same questions and to help them see the value of shopping at 2nd hand stores to get more for our money.  Our family wouldn't have to do second hand shopping but I know that at some point my kids might be in a financial situation where they would need to do that.  Besides, being taught to share, reuse, recyle and make do creates character.  It isn't just about money, it is about values.

4. DIYmyOmy profile image69
    DIYmyOmyposted 12 years ago

My fiance is the King of Coupons, and his diligence in using coupons and on buying on sale items is amazing. We regularly save 33% or more at the grocery store, and we never buy something we don't really want just because it's on sale.

We also save a lot by belonging to the local food coop and buying at a wonderful local produce market where prices are always significantly lower than at the big box markets.

As for me, I am the Queen of eBay! It is my first stop when buying almost anything, certainly clothing, shoes and household items. I am also a big fan of buying used (or, as I prefer to say, "pre-loved" :-) items at antique or second-hand shops.

Another tip is to explore the store brands, especially on beauty products. I use a wonderful moisturizer that would be a very costly product, but I buy the CVS version; it is usually 25% less, more when on sale.

Other thoughts: Check with your vet to see if they offer a discount if you bring multiple pets in for their annual exams at the same time; most do. If you haven't joined a club store (Sam's Club, Costco, BJs) then do so--your savings can be remarkable and they have responded to requests and have smaller-sized packages in stock now.

But the biggest savings of all come from Do It Yourself. Teach yourself how to use basic tools and tackle small projects first. The money you will save can be absolutely astonishing, plus you will have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right--and the priceless ability to say, I did it myself!"

5. RosemaryHale profile image61
    RosemaryHaleposted 12 years ago

My husband and I made a chart on a dry erase board and hung it on our refrigerator. It includes
    1. How much money we receive every two weeks.
    2. How much we owe for rent that month (we pay half every two weeks).
    3. How much all our bills are.
    4. How much we spent on groceries.
    5. We add all the things together and subtract that from how much we made.
    6. We put about 1/3 of that in our savings account and keep the rest for gas and anything else we want or need.
    We also keep a close check on our bank account to see how much money we have and how long until my husband gets paid again before we decide to buy anything that we don't really need, but want.
    Another thing that has made it easier for us is that we buy generic everything. It tastes the same, for less. If there are ever any specials on meat at our grocery store we buy in bulk and freeze it.
    Good luck!

6. Hally Z. profile image76
    Hally Z.posted 12 years ago

Supercouponing is my answer to staying within my spending budget for the week or month. I've been doing supercouponing now for several months and have even written a few Hubs about it. In essence, you need to get a hold of your Sunday paper and grab its coupon inserts. From there, go to online coupon sites like Coupons.com and SavingStar. If your local stores do double coupon days, shop only during those days and stock up on your coupon items that are ALSO on discount. Combine those store discounts and sales with your coupons to save even more money. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, use the items you purchase! Don't let them go to waste or languishe somewhere deep down in your cupboards.

7. fitmom profile image74
    fitmomposted 12 years ago

I created a budget for our family when I started staying at home after having a baby. I looked at past months of spending and saw what was necessary and what was extra. I created categories and general guidelines of how much we needed to spend in those categories. Of course, it goes without saying that we couldn't spend more than we were bringing in. I tried to build in some cushion for times that we had unexpected expenses.

As far as sticking to the budget, some people use envelopes of cash for the different categories. Some people are able to stick to their budget while using debit or credit cards. It just depends on the person.

8. Emma Harvey profile image84
    Emma Harveyposted 12 years ago

We all try and cut back on the amount we spend, but our biggest monthly bill is probably our food bill. Trying to save money in the supermarkets is a constant battle. But by shopping around and making use of what you have in your store cupboard, you could be onto making big savings. read more

9. Riverfish24 profile image81
    Riverfish24posted 11 years ago

Managing your finances does not require you to maintain a complex excel file or use a budgeting software. For starters, it needs the will to do so and a bit of foresight and a habit of  making notes! read more

10. Pauline Davenport profile image61
    Pauline Davenportposted 11 years ago

Being able to cook is key to making the money spin until you get paid again.If you have 3 eggs and a few ounces of cheese and a slice of bacon in the fridge, turn it into a quiche - delicious and will make a meal for 4 with a bit of salad and a jacket spud. Make your own bread and cupcakes (or even big cakes).
    Make a sausage pie for snacks with a half pound of sausage meat and half a packet of made up sage and onion stuffing - it's spicy and gorgeous and cheap. There's all sorts you can make that cost a fortune made up in the shops. Best tip of all though - have a 'baking morning' or 'day' and use up valuable oven space with lots of bakes at the same time and save on the electric or gas.
    Only fill the kettle with enough water for what ever you're drinking - does save on the 'lecky' and it does mount up - ohhh - guess I'd better shape up and do a hub on this eh...? Hope this was useful

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)