Do you think life gets better with you getting older?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. learner365 profile image70
    learner365posted 12 years ago

Do you think life gets better with you getting older?

2. brewskitimeguy profile image60
    brewskitimeguyposted 12 years ago

OMG yes...I enjoy so much more now, because I have come to appreciate the fact that I don't need to race around any more...just enjoy themoment

3. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I think in many cases life can get better. For myself - I'm now 50! - I'm more confident than I ever use to be when young and I don't now give a hoot what anyone thinks about me or what I do. When I was younger I was anxious a lot about what others thought and/or making a fool of myself. Today I couldn't care less and it's very liberating. So I think in the sense that you can get free from a lot of useless hang-ups when you are older, certainly makes life more enjoyable. I think also you are more relaxed as you get older, probably because you are not in an age bracket that is very competitive.

4. INFJay profile image81
    INFJayposted 12 years ago

Yes, if a positive outlook on life has developed from both our positive and negative experiences giving us a better opportunity to handle the challenges getting older brings. Otherwise we join the ranks of grumpy old people living in the "good old days" of the past and missing out in the present.

5. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 12 years ago

For me, the answer is 100% yes!  I should have been born old. I have a better disposition and not much bothers me anymore. I have learned so much and now that I'm older I have the time to put it all in use. Of course, I have many more aches and pains but when I look at others my age I realize I'm in pretty good shape.

I am so grateful for my life and know I am well blessed. I wouldn't want to go back and do it all over again.

I'm a single sexy senior, grandma and love my life.

Thank you God.

6. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

This is a difficult question to answer. Life has been 'better' each step along the way if that makes sense. Every stage of my life I have reveled in and found myself enjoying.
    There is something very special about being retired. I now have the freedom to do what I really like, to watch the grass grow, to enjoy a cuppa on my porch, to work in my garden more, to travel, to spend more time with my family...so again I have found another stage of my life to enjoy and consider as 'better.'

7. Amy Becherer profile image64
    Amy Bechererposted 12 years ago

I think the answer to your question depends on who you ask.  Growing older means more experiences, a stronger sense of  self-confidence, but with fewer remaining years. Like everything, there are inherent positive and negative aspects with aging.  Reaching the statistical probability that more than half your life is in the review mirror, leaves one feeling like its "now or never".  Depending on personality, personal preferences and values, the realization of mortality can be motivating.  Those areas we neglected in youth are often approached with urgency. With aging, many people "get real" and do the things they never had or made time for when they were busy taking care of their responsibilities.  Retirement brings the time to fulfill dreams, such as travel, greater involvement with family, hobbies, further education or leisurely relaxation and fun. 

Unfortunately, as we age, our health becomes more fragile and, often, illness can waylay the best laid plans. When I was young, I saw many neighbors look forward to retirement, only to develop devastating illnesses that changed their plans and quickly took their lives.  One neighbor and friend who had just retired, developed a blood clot. Long story short, after being air-lifted to an excellent hospital, he had a reaction to the blood-thinner used to dissolve the clot in his foot and ended up a double-amputee. Depressed,but not defeated, his car was fitted with hand controls that enabled him to drive and he was beginning to get out among friends when he developed spinal cancer.  He and his family suffered tremendous loss with his premature, agonzing death shortly after retiring.

As we get older, we all witness these kind of sad stories. There are no guarantees in life.  No one knows how or when our turn will come.  With age, we come to appreciate the things we once took for granted, like a good night's sleep, feeling well, a beautiful day, a summer rain, our dog's unconditional love, a grandchild's laughter, a spouse or lover's smile. The undeniable reality of our mortality creates appreciation for what was once considered mundane, boring or routine. Rather than the frantic pace of our youth, age savors, making everything good even better.

8. Vellur profile image94
    Vellurposted 12 years ago

Life does get better as you grow old because you learn many things on your way and you can share your knowledge and advice. You learn to look at life from a new angle, live life to the fullest and enjoy each and every moment. The best part is that you have a treasure trove of memories to dig up from whenever you want and enjoy them. Cheers to life and getting old.

9. moonfairy profile image74
    moonfairyposted 12 years ago

Hi learner365! For me, the answer is yes, without a doubt. I was thinking about this very thing the other day and realized that I would not want to go back....I love it here!!

10. freemarketingnow profile image58
    freemarketingnowposted 12 years ago

Yes, you get to watch your children and your grandchildren grow up. You get to see the impact of your work. You have more time to rest towards the end of your life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)