How much input should grandparents give their kids about raising their own kids?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)
  1. suebee62 profile image62
    suebee62posted 12 years ago

How much input should grandparents give their kids about raising their own kids?

Should grandparents give input on how their grandkids are raised?  Should they reinforce to the grandchild to listen to their parents or repeat what the parent has told the child, making sure they do it?

2. alliemacb profile image87
    alliemacbposted 12 years ago

This can be tricky but I was so glad to have the support of my parents when my daughter was younger.  They tended to reinforce what I had said and were careful not to contradict me in front of her.  If they felt I had made some sort of parenting blunder, they talked to me about it privately and suggested ways I could fix things without appearing to be backing down.  They knew when to keep out of things too and that's important.  My husband's parents were somewhat patronising and their input tended to contradict what I said.  Thankfully they lived over four hours' drive away so contact was not as regular.

Balance is the key.  Input should be encouraging and supportive and we as parents should remember that our parents have much to offer if we are prepared to accept a little advice now and then.

3. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 12 years ago

Depends on whether the advice is asked for or not.  I think some grandparents have lots of helpful things to share and some undermine the new parents with critical and unhelpful advice that is not needed.  I experienced both - my mum and dad were helpful and gave me answers when I asked my, however in-laws were a nightmare and opinions "r us" was their mantra:-)

4. Eliminate Cancer profile image62
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

I think it's great for anyone to offer advice, as long as there's no expectation that someone will take it. 

Parents need to learn what is right for their kids, and they will learn this by responding to the child.  Anyone who has had more than one child knows, different approaches work with different kids.  Advice is nice, sometimes it helps, but at the end of the day, parenting is a work in progress, we change as our children change...

5. tamarawilhite profile image87
    tamarawilhiteposted 12 years ago

Unless the children are being actively harmed (physically abused) or actually neglected (not fed, not given medical treatment, not taken to school), you can gently advise your children on what to do with the grandchildren, but the parenting job belongs to the parents.
    If they give up custody to you (drug abuse, in jail, alcoholic, teenagers giving kids to parents while going to school), then you can parent the grandchildren. Otherwise, you need to be careful not to interfere with the parent-child relationship.
    If the grandkids see you saying that what the parents are doing is wrong, they learn that they cannot trust their parents and thus lose respect for the authority responsible in raising them.

6. thisiknow profile image61
    thisiknowposted 12 years ago

It is never ‘good advice’ if it wasn’t sought out, no matter where it’s coming from. If you feel the absolute need to say something then just be sure to word it properly,… so it doesn’t sound like advice.
    And yes, grandparents should always re-enforce whatever the parents have said to the child. If they don’t agree with the parents then they should stay out of it, and discuss it later when the children are not within earshot.
    Unless, of course, there is harm to the child involved. Then speak up!

7. katieababy74 profile image59
    katieababy74posted 12 years ago

I am a single Mum so I am incredibly grateful for my parents input.  My parents do both reinforce what I am saying plus repeat if they have to.  I also like that they are not afraid of talking to me and helping me through the days when I struggle.  I think as parents we need all the help we can get!!

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Unless the child is being mistreated in some way, or the parent of the child asks for help - I think we grandparents need to stay quiet.  My daughter will ask me things and rarely I might make a suggestion but very carefully, and privately.

Mostly I just watch and wonder - gee my daughter had a great childhood, why does she insist on doing things differently with her kids- LOL

9. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

Grandparents should reinforce what the parents are saying, offer advice when asked and offer to babysit when parents are getting frazzled. They are the parents this time, not you. They have seen how you raise your children and if they want to do it differently, let them. Be glad that you raised them well enough to feel confident in doing it themselves.

10. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 12 years ago

Grandparents are there to enjoy the special, well deserved time with grandchildren, they should support their children, now parents themselves in their parenting skills, but they are not there to criticize, maybe they do it differently and maybe you don't agree with everything they do...but just remember you have done it differently from your parents...it is their chance and their time...give advice only when asked for a just enjoy your special time...just enjoyment no responsibility:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)