If you had the choice, would you rather be a stay at home mom or a career mom?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. JessicaSmetz profile image82
    JessicaSmetzposted 12 years ago

If you had the choice, would you rather be a stay at home mom or a career mom?

Some people cant afford to stay at home, but if you could..would you?

2. rfox21 profile image63
    rfox21posted 12 years ago

I'chose to be a stay at home Mom.  I think it's important, however, I salute career moms.

3. carolp profile image78
    carolpposted 12 years ago

I prefer to a stay at home Mom.

But i i also prefer to work even just one day a week, to keep my profession in trend and get me off to other environment, keeping in touch with people and have a little money of my own.

4. twinstimes2 profile image82
    twinstimes2posted 12 years ago

Fortunately, I have the choice and made it: stay at home mom. I was a corporate Project manager and I am not certain I would balance the 2 very well. Luckily, I started with twins so it made the decision to stay home vs the cost of daycare pretty easy to make! I have been home for 7 years and have never regretted my decision!

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I was able to stay home and while it was hard, I really feel it was the best possible thing I could do for my kids.

They are grown now so it is easy to look back and say - oh I should have done this or that.  But in truth, I am glad I stayed home.  Their dad was also able to spend a lot of time at home and often drove on field trips etc. It was really good for them and they were fortunately little girls.

JessicaSmetzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is great that their dad was around too. My girls father is always working or deployed. Thats why they need me so much:)

6. JessicaSmetz profile image82
    JessicaSmetzposted 12 years ago

Those are all great answers..I am a stay at home mom right now. Financially I dont think I could even afford child care because I am still working on my degree. I love the feeling of being productive and earning money from it but I think nothing is more important then being there with the kids. I dont know how some career women do it, with already having to drive the kids all around.

7. onegoodwoman profile image67
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

After years, of being the empowered, important, in demand, needed, career mom

I would much more like to go to the 1st, 2nd , 3rd grade parties........give the first menestraul pad to my daughter, discuss with her, her changing body, desires and hormones.......

Life would have been so much better, for ME and my DAUGHTERS.............had, I been there, to be their mother..............instead, I entrusted various other women.........( who were good ladies).............but , I sold " motherhood" ........I, now, SO hate this...............

My Children, should NEVER have been subjected to what I could " afford"..............this will be the transgession of my lifetime............of my lifetime!

Thank you for your experience. I am a stay at home mom now, I sometimes wonder If I miss out on anything.

2. JessicaSmetz profile image82

I am sorry that you missed out on all of that. We live and we learn..Are you still working as much?

8. jacqui2011 profile image82
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I was an insurance underwriter for 15 years before having my children. When my first came along, I had to go back to work after my maternity leave was up. It was so hard to leave her, and cost me half of my wages in childcare. A few years later, I was made redundant and used the money to become qualified and run my own day care in Scotland. By the time my second daughter came along a few years later, my business had taken off, so I was able to have her with me. It was great to be earning money while having her with me.

I feel that I missed out on a lot when my older daughter was growing up, but I could not afford not to work at the time. She is 17 years old now, and I wish there had been the online opportunities then when I had her. I could have earned a small amount of money while at home raising her.

I am glad there are some online opportunities now. I stay at home, and my husband is in the army so I can stay home..but still pay is pretty low.

9. mariale2003 profile image60
    mariale2003posted 12 years ago

I have been on both sides...When they were little I use to work a lot and I was more  focus  in my career, but  while ago, I had my  wake up call that make me realized that I need to make a healthy balance in my  life, so I choose a part time job while they are at school, allowing me that way afford be at home with them for the rest of the day.
    Personally I enjoy be a stay home mom than anything else in this live...It's no money or career that can full fill me more than be at home and raise my two kids. I really so thankful that I found the way to do it.

10. breathe2travel profile image73
    breathe2travelposted 12 years ago

I stay home. I also work from home, but I choose my clientel/projects.  Before my husband and I married, we discussed children and our care for them.  We agreed we would do whatever it took for them not to have to be in daycare.  Currently we have one vehicle, which can be challenging with 5 kids and a busy schedule.  However, we are not comfortable adding a monthly commitment -- we are self-employed and although our books may reflect thousands due to us, businesses have been slower to pay in the past 18 months.

Anywho... SAHM.  I love being here when the kids return home from school, I've loved teaching my kids to read & write.  I love snuggling some mornings while watching Dinosaur Train or Blues Clues... I like being available for field trips, field day, etc. smile  That to me, is more important than being employed making $$$ (and I've turned down good job offers).  I may consider taking on more clients when all of my children are in school FT... but my husband, children and home are first priority.

I dont want my kids to be in daycare either. I would like to be a WAHM though now with all the online opportunities. My kids are not in elementary yet, but when they are I am sure I will be happy to be able to join in activities.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)