At what point does someone stop being human?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. GamingCowboy profile image60
    GamingCowboyposted 11 years ago

At what point does someone stop being human?

Just wrote a hub on Deus Ex, and it really got me thinking. At what point does someone stop being human? Technology is progressing rather quickly, and things like robotic limbs and augmented mental states seem to be close to reality. So, my question to everyone is this: does changing the human form with augmentations strip humanity from the person? What constitutes humanity as well?

2. iviskei profile image71
    iviskeiposted 11 years ago

I think as long as you are able to think and dream for yourself, then you are human. True, technology may be taking over, but as long as you are still you, then you are human.

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But what about people who are mentally ill or comatose - they are still human.

2. GamingCowboy profile image60
      GamingCowboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting idea. I think that being mentally ill or comatose also blurs the line of humanity. After all, a person in a coma is essentially an object, incapable of love/fear/etc.

3. iviskei profile image71
      iviskeiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point, but I have to agree with GamingCowboy. It's the same as with an unborn baby before the brain is formed. I believe it's different for the mentally ill however. Who is to say they don't have dreams?

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

Interesting question. For sure, the lines are quickly becoming blurred; science fiction is becoming everyday life. Coming from a medical perspective and as someone who has dealt with life and death on a regular basis for many years, I would say that someone stops being human at the moment the brain waves go flat. That has always been my working definition. Now, with what we can and will be able to do with the brain, even that becomes an interesting discussion, because perhaps a human could stop being a human when a certain amount or percentage of their brain is manipulated or modified to the point that they no longer have human thoughts or emotions....again, interesting point to ponder.

Ah, so your definition of humanity hinges on the emotional/rational part of the human mind. What about if someone replaces their body parts with robotic parts? Could you look at them and still claim they are human?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did not say that I believe a person has to have emotion or be rational to be human; I said the absence of brain waves makes a person no longer a human, and yes, robotic parts do not make a person non-human.

4. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Even with the most advanced technology, we still will be human and nothing can replace our thoughts.

Yes, we may change body parts to survive but it will still be human as our feelings remain. I do believe we are striving for survival as human beings by prolonging our lives through technology. But with that, it does not replace our humanity.

Good idea, I also think that humanity and human emotion go hand in hand. Something to think about though: Would a person who is placed in a robotic shell, but with a functioning human brain, would he be considered human?

2. edhan profile image38
      edhanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do believe that as long as we have thoughts, it is still human. But guess it will be rather hard to have a complete replacement except the brain. Who's knows that the future can make this happen.

5. giopski profile image60
    giopskiposted 11 years ago

what constitutes humanity is his capability to do three basic human actions: 1. freedom; 2. knowledge; and 3. voluntariness.  The absence of these three basic constitutions would simply mean certain "acts" tantamount to sneezing, breathing, etc.  in line with your question, no since external attributes do not make the person but what makes him human is his capacity to enact the three qualities just mentioned.

How would you define parapeligics? They lack freedom of movement, so are they non-human? What about people suffering from Alzheimer's? They suffer from lack of knowledge/voluntary retention of memory.

6. sonnys profile image39
    sonnysposted 11 years ago

It's only a matter of time before robots surpass us and possibly take over.
    Why?
    Will technology really ever reach an endpoint where nothing can be improved? No way. So as long as we're constantly upgrading our technology, tomorrow's robot will always be more powerful than today's. May take 50 years, may take 200, but mark my words, robots like in Blade Runner will happen.
    So then what?
    I certainly don't want to be around when that happens!

7. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

This is not an easy question to answer.  If you go down the line of consciousness incarnating in human form, I wonder why one would want to incarnate into a body that is robotic or hooked into a machine for an experience of humanness.

A possible tragedy that could strip humans of their essential link to the human condition, is if they lost the ability to feel.  Sexual intercourse is so sweet a pleasure not because we think it but because we feel it.  An embrace is to enjoy feeling, an entwining of two humans.

In order to really grasp the concept of loss of human traits, is to separate thoughts from feelings (not emotions) but the tangible sensual feelings we have.through the skin.  Is love something we think or is it something we feel?  It is more the later, whilst we do think of the ideals of love, it is through the ability to feel that we experience it.  So there is an organic layer to our existence that may be dismissed in the mix of feelings. If we were primarily robotic, or hooked to machines, how does this effect our sense of touch?

Great concept, I agree that touch is essential to humanity, as is the rest of our senses. I wonder how people who have lost the ability to feel (through nerve damage/genetic damage), if they feel that they are less human than us?

2. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is also the realm of virtual reality that I would suggest lessens the current concept of being human.  Certainly makes you wonder what Real is.

8. kinz1 profile image61
    kinz1posted 11 years ago

When they stop loving them-self and others for who they are, Love is the key to a lot our problems although love cannot solve all but can smooth some of the bump in the problems.

9. profile image51
    Read4Lifeposted 9 years ago

In a book I read, a question is asked similar to this one. Simply put is asks if someone had one prosthetic limb would it still be considered human?
    What about after four prosthetic limbs, then two robotic eyes, then a synthetic heart, finally a synthetic brain? (Book Title: UNREMEMBERED By: Jessica Brody Page:143)
    At what point did this human become artificial?
    In my opinion, the answer depends on if you are a very factual person. The heart theoretically is an organ that simply pumps blood, which is significant, just not emotionally. Yet, there are instances of unexplained depression after heart surgeries/ transplants that lead to emotional trauma. Is there something about the heart that we don't understand enough to answer this question?
    The Brain, of course controls your emotions. Not only that but also how you think, your actions, and your personality. Isn't your personality what makes you yourself? One definition of a Human is: a man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance. Isn't the brain what controls all these instances.
    There is no answer to this question, only other questions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)