What is a childhood memory that makes your heart still leap at the thought of su

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. mindofjulie profile image60
    mindofjulieposted 11 years ago

What is a childhood memory that makes your heart still leap at the thought of summer?

With summer fast approaching I remember my grandfather teaching us how to drink safely from streams. Mudding in my Sunday best and quickly being scolded by my mom ;-) to the thunderstorms that rolled through southeastern Oklahoma and astonished our young minds with turbulent shaped clouds, wind and rain every summer except 1998 that was a dry summer(yikes). Some of the best times of my life! What are yours? Is it something you plan to share with your kids, nieces, nephews, or friends kids?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6597419_f260.jpg

2. christin53 profile image82
    christin53posted 11 years ago

I was about 8 when I had a two week holiday on my grandparents farm in Norway. I remember it being really hot everyday and my dad putting me on the the back of his bicycle and riding to the nearest lake. The water was so clear and beautiful. I had only ever been swimming at the beach or swimming pools before so being surrounded by trees in this tranquil place I found amazing. it is probably one of my most re-lived memories of childhood.

3. Gabriel Wilson profile image90
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 11 years ago

I remember one particular summer; I was old enough to get a little job strawberry picking. The sheer joy of sitting among the leafy bushes in the open field under a blue sky, eating juicy red strawberries. At the end of the day I'd get my pay and cycle home, a box of strawberries tied to my handle bars. I was delighted with my wage packet: a couple of quid and the strawberries.
    I'd take a dip in the river below our house to cool off before heading up the hill. I remember the sound of bees buzzing and the shrieks of laughter from the other kids.
    I remember fondly; my first taste of independence was one of strawberries.

4. profile image0
    topaz blueposted 11 years ago

Wow! What a great question!
      I remember one summer my Aunt came to collect me from Fortrose in the Highlands of Scotland and take me via the train from Inverness to Oban (about a 3-4 hour journey in those days- 39 years or so ago) so that I could spend the summer with my Grandparents and my Aunt. I was only about three at the time, but it has left a very vivid memory for me, and a time which I still discuss with my mother to this day. The minute I saw my Aunt I began to cry and did not stop until I saw my Grandmother standing in the doorway of her house in Oban, with out stretched arms . All through the trip, my Aunt, as well as other passengers, tried to console me but to no avail , and then the minute I saw my Grannie, that was it , everything was okay. Funny thinking back.     
    Many thanks for the walk down memory lane.
    Cheers Topaz Blue

5. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 11 years ago

Cycling with my brother and three his mates through the streets of a Muslim town in Africa pretending we were The Famous Five from the Enid Blyton books.
    Going rock climbling and climbing mango and guava trees then getting red ants crawling up my jeans and swinging like Tarzan  to get to the ground. Ahh! Those were the days.

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image61
      ThussaysNanaMarieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing most of these memories are to do with the effect of nature on young minds. So we need to consider this for our young concrete jungle children by extension.

6. Hound Cat profile image59
    Hound Catposted 11 years ago

I still have good memories about a childhood trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons with my family.  I still remember how breathtaking the power of nature was.  I want to go back someday.

7. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 11 years ago

We always went to the Jersey shore every summer, the board walk in wild wood was awesome.  The only place you could get pizza at 6 in the morning.  We spent every weekend there and had so much fun.  I love going home and going to the shore eating fudge and salt water taffy.  No beach like it to me.

1. mindofjulie profile image60
      mindofjulieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is so cool you could get pizza at 6 am!!!! I can't wait to take my family around the U.S. !

8. healthwealthmusic profile image61
    healthwealthmusicposted 11 years ago

Something that comes to my mind from my childhood -

One summer I got to sleep outside almost all summer on an old air mattress we had. That sure slept good! I loved to feel the cool breeze on my face. Much more refreshing than sleeping in a stuffy, hot bedroom! The only drawbacks to sleeping outside: cats fighting and playing during the night, the rooster crowing and waking me up early - like around 4:00 am, and mosquitoes...

9. TToombs08 profile image77
    TToombs08posted 11 years ago

Salmon fishing in the Little Su river north of Wasilla with my mom, dad and brother. Our yearly week long camping trip to Finger Lake. Weekend trips to Seward to fish for Pollack. Seeing killer whales, sea otters, eagles, bears, and moose everywhere. And usually getting drenched to the bone with icy cold rain. smile

10. teaches12345 profile image76
    teaches12345posted 11 years ago

You had a pretty neat grandfather! I would have enjoyed muddng because that is exactly what we used to do but n the city. When it rained, we would love jumping in the puddles and running in the rain. What fun! I guess what most pops out is just being able to run in the sprinklers and eat popsicles on the back porch with my siblings.  Summer is freedom to kids, It's ust fun to hang out around the house.  My best summer was when we went to visit our family in California. It was a cross country trip by car with my parents and two sisters. We had fun being together, met our family members and learned a lot about life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)