What do you think about music or art therapy in hospitals?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (20 posts)
  1. buckleupdorothy profile image70
    buckleupdorothyposted 11 years ago

What do you think about music or art therapy in hospitals?

Have you had an experience with art or music therapy for chronic illness, when recuperating from an injury or surgery etc.? Even if you have not, what kind of art or music therapy programs do you think would be a good idea? How can it be practically implemented and is there any kind of training that you think would be necessary?

2. profile image0
    ksinllposted 11 years ago

I have done some form of arty therapy in schools, not at hospitals.  I think activities like that are inherently therapeutic. I have seen wonderful results with children (I do play therapy with children). You could have volunteers take the patients through some craft activities if there isn't someone around who is trained.  I am not as knowledgeable of music therapy though.

3. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

I have used making music, and a bit of art, in my own healing from life-threatening illness. Everything I have seen that introduces art or music to those who are ill - in hospitals, in therapy, or in daily life - is good and beneficial.

I even know one man who recovered from complete paralysis - he could only breathe and move his fingers - by playing the trumpet. He focused on what he could do, and moving the parts of the body he could move, until he was fully restored to health.

4. wewillmake profile image60
    wewillmakeposted 11 years ago

They are actually relief to lot of people who are struggling in their life. These therapies are doing wonderful things where all the other conventional ways are failed.

5. GusTheRedneck profile image59
    GusTheRedneckposted 11 years ago

Music is a pleasure to some people and is annoying to others. Recuperation after a hospital stay might be aided by listening to music - but it depends upon the individual. As forms of treatment, music and art are of far lesser importance than are rest and regenerative exercise. Actually, I have been forced to listen to some music that could be described as quite "sickening." Where's the therapy in that sort of thing? The opposite, of course, could also be said - for example, if a person enjoyed listening to martial music, a peppy Sousa march might get the blood flowing a bit faster.
    Music is not like a medicine, the physical effects of which can be easily measured for just about anyone. How would music and art be effectively "dosed?"  Is 10 minutes of Mozart to be administered for arthritis of the thumb, but an hour's worth be poured into the ears for appendicitis? Who decides? The patient? The doctor? The musician? I can hear it now - "Stop the music. The pain is gone now." Maybe it should be, "Well, that's a half hour of hard metal for you, so you should now be getting well soon." smile

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read Through A Dog's Ear - the effect of music on animals has been clinically researched. I am less familiar with the research on humans, but I do know that there is a form of music or sound therapy used with people with autism.

6. kristyleann profile image60
    kristyleannposted 11 years ago

I haven't had an experience with using art or music therapy myself, but I am a CNA and I work in a nursing home and I recently came across a site http://www.ximotionmedia.com/ that talks about a documentary where some nursing homes are introducing mp3 players for residents. Apparently it can be very benefical. In the video clip on the site, a resident with dementia (that they said normally stays to himself/doesn't talk much) seems to come alive after being allowed to listen to music from his younger days. I think music is a huge part of our lives and culture and can be very helpful to listen to. Nursing homes are good for trying to provide as many activities as possible for residents but when it comes to music they usually play the same stuff for everyone and not everyone likes the same types of music.

As far as art therapy goes, I think it can be very useful as well, but I'm an artist msyelf so I'm probably a bit biased there lol...but I know I use art to "tune out the world" so to speak. It is very theraputic sometimes to throw yourself into an activity like that and many people (even those with no formal training) are quite surprised at the beautiful images they can create and it makes them feel good about themselves. It's pretty awesome to be able to say to yourself "that is a beautiful image and people like it...and I made that." smile

I don't think people necessarily need formal training to help other use these as therapy because it's something that comes natrually to us as humans. We have always created art and music and enjoy listening to it. But I have been told that doctors are researching music as a way to help stroke victims recover because singing activates multiple parts of the brain. So in that sense, perhaps someone would need formal training to implent music therapy in that way, but I don't know...

7. anglnwu profile image69
    anglnwuposted 11 years ago

I know that in parts of Europe, music therapy is used on some patients. They're recommended to take singing or some form of music to help their healing process. I thought that was interesting.

8. lilian1 profile image60
    lilian1posted 11 years ago

I think it would be an excellent idea to have art theraphy in hospitals pleasing to look at which would cheer patients up greatly local artists could exhibit their work and perhaps have a weekly class for those that are able ...

9. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

I haven't been directly involved with art or music therapy but have seen the results of using these forms of healing. Two patients that I cared for many years ago had the opportunity to take part in art therapy to help with their mental illness. The results were amazing and I believe that this form of therapy definately contributed to their healing process. One of the patients - who was quite a young woman at the time - actually went on to study art. Previous to this, she had no idea that she had any apptitude or interest in the subject.

In one of our local hospitals they hang up art work all around the hospital, that has been completed by patients involved with art therapy and the art work is very beautiful and compelling. You can see why it is so therapeutic - and perhaps not just for the patients!

1. MazioCreate profile image67
      MazioCreateposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like the staff at your local hospital have embraced art as a healing therapy. Thanks for sharing.

10. vims003 profile image41
    vims003posted 11 years ago

I donnot know much about music therapy ,but i am sure music, specially with positive content can change any kind of living material.

11. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years ago

I'm all for it, but then I am an amateur artist and musician and love both artforms and find both therapeutic myself! As a registered nurse turned professional dog trainer who regularly works  with dogs with anxiety, fear and aggression I recommend music therapy. It is clinically proven to soothe animals.

Years ago when I was a dancer, I participated in a program to learn dance therapy in North Carolina. This is along the same lines. All of these artforms I believe can be healing.

In healthcare, music and art therapists have degrees in these fields. I do not know much more about it than that, but in my experience I have seen these therapies used mostly in the psychiatric setting. I think the reason they are not used a lot in hospitals is because the acuity level of patients these days is too high and patients who are not seriously ill are discharged much sooner than they used to be due to cost containment, so there isn't much time for anything other than acute medical care.

12. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

Music and Art Therapy for those experienceing chronic illness is a great idea, but only practicable in hospice facilities, nursing homes, and retirement centers.

Though hospitals do have patients that are recuperating from an illness, most are already stress out from the multiple tests and procedures to really appreciate that kind of therapy in that environment. Plus, hospital stay is not as long as it used to be.

13. Dr Bill Tollefson profile image78
    Dr Bill Tollefsonposted 11 years ago

I worked in hospitals for decades. I remember when hospitals use to have such activities for  patients and these activities were very therapeutic. It is a shame that hospitals think more of the bottom line rather than the good of patients.

14. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Our bodies can heal itself in many different conditions. Using music therapy can help the person to relax and in the state of mind where there will be peace. It is our individual thoughts of being able to relax and allowing it to heal.

My mind is a very powerful healing machine. We just need to tap in the part of our brain and allowing it to do the healing. With the aid of music, it can help in a way or two to relax ourselves and open our minds to healing process.

15. yssubramanyam profile image61
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

Music is divine. It really helps in mental recovery which is mainly responsible for body illness.

1. yssubramanyam profile image61
      yssubramanyamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

when i learned about resonant frequency, i under stood that frequency is the basic remedial element to ailments. how ever i will encourage conventional medical fields like alopathy, homeopathy and etc..

16. profile image54
    Squirrelgonzoposted 11 years ago

While not directly affected through this therapy, I found your question very interesting.

While I am not a Doctor, (apparently) listening to your favorite music can cause similar affects in brain chemistry that having an orgasm does. So I could see how bringing a loved ones iPod/Zune and allowing them to listen for 30-40 minutes at a time, could help them regain some lost morale and sometimes-that's exactly what they need by way of boosting their mental state.

I'm not sure of Art therapy however I could also see how that might work if your loved one enjoys looking at art. smile

Gonzo-Out

17. nicolestrovich548 profile image60
    nicolestrovich548posted 11 years ago

I think those are really good practice to hasten the healing process of patients. To know more about medical coder, visit this site: http://bestmedicalcoding.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)