What makes you decide to un-follow a fellow hubber?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (44 posts)
  1. yougotme profile image89
    yougotmeposted 11 years ago

What makes you decide to un-follow a fellow hubber?

Have you un-followed someone here in Hubpages? What made you do so?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Yes, frequently.

I don't like to follow too many people, because then I can't be a genuine follower (a follower is someone who admires someone's work and reads their new Hubs fairly regularly).   Every now and then, my list gets too long and I review it.

Often, I'll follow someone because I like their first few Hubs - but then they go on to write about subjects I'm not interested in.  So that's my most common reason for unfollowing.

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image75
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 11 years ago

I guess Marisa Wright has answered that question for everyone. I un-follow for the same reasons. If people don't write Hubs I'm interested in, I tend to remove the clutter from my feed. I'm also not a fan of irregular posting either, so if someone doesn't have any activity within a few weeks, I tend to unfollow.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What if they were sick in the hospital?

4. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 11 years ago

Possessing some good qualities are always attract others to follow a person and vice versa.

5. katyzzz profile image59
    katyzzzposted 11 years ago

I have never done that, not once, nor would I ever consider it, unless it came to my attention that they were engaging in some 'gross' sort of behaviour.

6. kwade tweeling profile image81
    kwade tweelingposted 11 years ago

I only choose to follow after seeing something I like. I doubt I will un-follow anyone though. I like variety. I keep friends and feeds from all sorts to get that variety.

yougotmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup! Variety is good! You get the chance to be exposed in various topics in which you might have hidden interests in. In short, you discover things through the hubbers you follow. smile

7. cloverleaffarm profile image69
    cloverleaffarmposted 11 years ago

I don't stop following anyone. I followed them because I enjoy reading their articles, or I like their style. I enjoy a very diverse range of subjects, and this gives me the perfect opportunity to "meet" people of all backgrounds.

1. Sparklea profile image60
      Sparkleaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

cloverleaffarm: I totally agree, HubPages has been and continues to be so beneficial and enjoyable and I am amazed at the variety of topics.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

8. m0rd0r profile image62
    m0rd0rposted 11 years ago

I check the list once monthly.

I only follow people that have interesting informative hubs which are not made for money only.

Also - There is one specific category gold-hunters, that follow others just to be followed back.

If my follower un-followed me after this, he/she is obviously not interested in my writing but only from my visits to his/hers hubs.

I unfollow such people too in response and don't reply to them anymore.

9. WD Curry 111 profile image57
    WD Curry 111posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6788935_f260.jpg

Sure I do. If someone says something I don't care for, or makes me look dumb with an intelligent rebuttal, I might get flustered and angry. I know how to handle it, "UNFOLLOW!!!"

There, I showed them! I think I have dealt out a blow, but I am really on an internet version of a low watt power trip. Don't cross me, I am a busy street.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Ha ha ha, LOL.

Now you will not be offended.

1. Sparklea profile image60

WD Curry 111 I LOVE your comment, "Don't cross me, I am a busy street."  You are one unique individual which I love!  I bet you stand out in a crowd! (in a positive way, of course!)  Blessings, Sparklea smile

10. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I have never unfollowed someone, but think I would if they were leaving inappropriate comments on my hubs (or others' hubs).

But, I am interested to see that many people spend more time pruning their lists.  Something I will think about!

11. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 11 years ago

yougotme: No, I have never unfollowed anyone.  Nor do I intend to at this time.

It is such an honor to me when I am notified that I have a new follower.  I light right up. 

Yes, I'm busy, yes I don't have time to read everything, but I do tend to notice that there are "regulars" who take time to read most of my hubs, and comment.  I try to do the same for them.

I have met so many wonderful people on the hubs, and I am amazed at the writing talent.  I have learned SO MUCH with the diversity of topics.

I focus on the positive aspects of HubPages. 

That being said, for me, It does not matter  how many are following me, but, like I said, I am humbled when I have a new follower.  I always return the "follow" to he/she and I thank he/she for following me.

And the first thing I do is check out their topics, and I try to pick one to read right away.

It's summer, people are very busy, but I hope to allow several times during the week to sign in on HubPages.

Thank you, blessings, Sparklea smile

Thanks for the amazing response Sparklea! smile

2. tillsontitan profile image81
      tillsontitanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you Sparklea, I am honored when someone follows me and like to do the same in return.  Actually, I don't even know how to unfollow someone!

3. Sparklea profile image60

yougotme and tillsontitan: THANK YOU for your responses, so much appreciated.  tillsontitan: I also do not know how to unfollow, nor am I aware when I am unfollowed or who the hubber would be.
      Blessings to both of you.  Sparklea smile

4. cloverleaffarm profile image69
      cloverleaffarmposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sparklea, you have a wonderful, positive attitude! You are right, there is so much to learn from everyone.

5. WD Curry 111 profile image57

I am busy in the winter, too. It is a nice diversion to visit Sparklea and get a boost for your day.

6. Sparklea profile image60

cloverleaffarm and WD Curry 111: THANK YOU for your notes, means alot, believe me!  Yes, people ARE busy in the winter too, lets just say people are busy all the time...period!  And yes, I HAVE learned so much, & HubPages is a joy for me.  Blessi

12. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

No I haven't 'Unfollowed' any fellow Hubbers. I believe everyone has a right to a point of view except of course of the 'racist' variety.

13. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

When day after day after day their posts practically cover up the feed every time you go on. Hubber discretion should be the better part of enthusiasm in these cases.

14. Philanthropy2012 profile image83
    Philanthropy2012posted 11 years ago

I try to keep an open mind and try to understand why people find particular things interesting even when I don't. Sometimes it's just the perception that you're looking at a subject e.g. gardening can only be really appreciated as interesting if you look at it as a peaceful, tranquil and creative activity rather than an engaging and interactive activity. Therefore, I don't unfollow hubbers for their topics.

The only reason I will un-follow a hubber is if he consistently writes poor quality hubs - that is, if the hubs are difficult to understand I will not follow the hubber.

15. scottwkelley profile image60
    scottwkelleyposted 11 years ago

I am right along with Marisa. Just not here but through out social media sites. Don't get me wrong I like my followers and I hope they are following my work for all the same reasons I follow someone else work.
    I think it all about choice and if I feel abused...bye-bye!

16. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

I have only unfollowed a couple of Hubbers that I found exclusively write Hubs about politics.  I did not join HubPages to read political diatribes every day.  There are plenty of places on the Internet and in print where I can read about politics and political POVs.  I'd rather read about more enlightening topics on HubPages than a person's personal political crusade. 

Yes, there are times when a political Hub is appropriate (I have written a couple), and there are times when politics is appropriate to include as part of a broader Hub topic, but when that's all people write about, I lose interest.

There are too many places for those diatribes. I wonder if it isn't a neurosis brought on by the insecurity of an uncertain world. In a neurosis, the sufferer spends an inordinate amount of energy to merely exasperate the problem.

17. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

The only people I tend to unfollow are the ones who haven't been on here or written for over a year. There are quite a few that are at the bottom of the list when I look, so it seems a bit pointless following people who have left ages ago. Apart from that I never unfollow because I appreciate people following me, and even though they may not show up very often its nice to see them and comment on theirs too.

Who voted Nell Rose down? What is wrong with what she said? Repent sinner, repent!

18. profile image0
    sandoniaposted 11 years ago

I will un-follow someone who has been rude or abusive to another or myself. I figure if someone cannot present themselves and their ideas in a polite manner then I would not enjoy any future engagements with them anyway.

19. kittythedreamer profile image75
    kittythedreamerposted 11 years ago

I usually un-follow hubbers that haven't published any new hubs within 3 months' time. And Marisa is right...it's hard to be a true follower of anyone's if you're following a thousand people.

I don't know. I follow a lot of people. I am busy in the real world. I have to make a living. Whenever I scan who I follow, I always find a jewel of a hub. I dream that I will read them all. I want to. I have never followed anyone without talent.

20. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

I did once.  They came back with a really mean sarcastic answer to someone's comment that seemed uncalled for and my reaction was to click un-follow.

I apologize.

21. Pollyannalana profile image62
    Pollyannalanaposted 11 years ago

We are all people here and it is the same as at home life! If someone refuses to visit me then I need to drop that follow for the many others I need to be giving my time to. Then sometimes someone goes bonkers wanting to fight with everyone and well, you don't want to be a party to that...if you totally disagree. Unless you just want to feud and argue..which I don't. I simply write them off, end of story. It has only happened a very few times in three years. This is a big place, plenty of new friends everyday!

22. Mr Nice profile image77
    Mr Niceposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6789580_f260.jpg

I follow everyone who follows me and I always leave thoughtful fan mails, even if Hubber haven't left a fan mail for me. Yes I un-followed many who did not approve my fan mails. 
    I don't like collecting Hubber's therefore I only follow a hubber myself if I like their Hub or profile.
    Even if I like only one of their Hub I follow the Hubber, I do not care what other Hubs they published.
    I do not follow for the reason that I do not like their other Hubs. There are other Hubber’s who say they stop following a Hubber if they don't like their other Hubs or the Hubber is not publishing new Hubs.
    The truth about reading Hubs, I have 657 followers, do you believe I have time to read even one Hub of 657 followers. The truthful answer is no, and it's not only me, I believe no one can do that.
    My question for those Hubber’s who claim they un-followed the Hubber’s because they did not like their other Hubs or because they stopped publishing.     
    How many Hubs they read for each Hubber who are following them? In my case I have 657 followers and I have not read any other Hubs except when I read their first Hub and became their fan.
    However there are few Hubber’s I read their Hubs whenever I find time. Happy hubbing for everyone.

Thanks for sharing your honest and wonderful response, Mr. Nice!

2. Mr Nice profile image77
      Mr Niceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. However people do not like to hear the truth.

23. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

I have honestly only un-followed two in 4 1/2 years. One was because they were racist and the other was because they were trolling. Occasionally you may find that the system also un-follows the person you were following automatically. We have yet to figure it out; but it honestly removes you from their list.

24. moonlake profile image80
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

If I'm following someone and see that they are rude and sarcastic on the forums. I don't follow them and I'm sure they don't care. Some people are bullies and you can sure pick them out on the forums. I don't go on often but I do read them here and there. I stay away from those kind of people. I have unfollowed because of that. Most hubbers are very nice and just come on to do their hubs and enjoy just hubbing and not getting into arguments with other hubbers. That's fine if that's what they want to do I don't have to follow them.
    I have unfollowed because of politics. I don't want to read hubs with politics in them so why follow them. Their never going to comment on my hubs.  I have a DO NOT FOLLOW list on my computer!!!!

25. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

I only follow people that I truly plan to read what they write. I don't make it a habit of un-following people. In fact, I have only un-followed one person on HubPages. When I was a hub "newbie", I had an encounter with a hubber who insisted on engaging in negative and hurtful comments. After a month-long interaction with that hubber I realized I could ignor and un-follow the person.

26. Frank Atanacio profile image76
    Frank Atanacioposted 11 years ago

I unfollow when I do not read them anymore I don't think it's fair to the ones I follow  and when new stuff comes out I dont have to sort through  the people I haven't read in months...

27. genuineaid profile image66
    genuineaidposted 11 years ago

As soon as someone says something stupid, like seriously stupid, then I'd un-follow a hubber... Wouldn't want to be in any partnership with a useless user.

Haven't un-followed anyone here yet because I'm still kind of new here smile

28. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 11 years ago

I would only unfollow a fellow hubber if when I look at their profile and their hubs I feel they are not making an effort. I sometimes get a follower and as I'm new I don't have that many, that when I look at them I wonder why on earth are they following me, but that's their choice and I wouldn't unfollow someone like that,
    MJ.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)