Do people really read long, information rich hubs or prefer short punchy ones?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Docmo profile image91
    Docmoposted 11 years ago

Do people really read long, information rich hubs or prefer short punchy ones?

As a bit of a completist, I usually research the topic first and if I find that the internet lacks a 'one stop' resource on the subject, I usually create a long information rich hub. I am not sure if people really take the time to read long ' full course' hubs or prefer a short, punchy 'snack ' of a hub?

2. rutley profile image64
    rutleyposted 11 years ago

I don't have the time to read all the long ones unless I'm really captivated from the get go!  It's kinda like the person that gives you so much backround info and you already know the point.  Spare me all the needless extra junk!

3. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 11 years ago

I like short and punchy and love caption headings so I can skip to the captions that catch my eye.

4. Miranda Birt profile image65
    Miranda Birtposted 11 years ago

If it's a well-written article, I like the longer ones. If a person isn't a great writer, keep it short & simple.

5. amvabecreations profile image75
    amvabecreationsposted 11 years ago

Docmo: I tend to do the same thing, research first and be as complete as I can get. That is probably why I haven't published a lot of Hubs yet... :-)

I like the "one stop" resources a lot, but they would have to have a very clear lay-out. Another way to create your full course hubs is to link them together and provide links from one to another.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I think it is a matter of taste and what information one is looking for. Personally, I learn better in short bursts. If I see a very long hub, especially those that people do not break into smaller paragraphs, I feel overwhelmed so I either scan or pass.  So my personal taste is "short punchy" hubs.

7. Kimberly Vaughn profile image73
    Kimberly Vaughnposted 11 years ago

I like to get right to the point so I prefer short hubs.

8. Arielqiao profile image60
    Arielqiaoposted 11 years ago

I prefer short articles to long ones. You see, our attention is limited. We have not so much patience to be taught. When I teach my students, I have to grip their attentions and teach them the focus of the lesson withing the early twenty minutes, otherwise, the teaching effect is poor because after 20 minutes, they will be absent.

9. Vieiragirl profile image76
    Vieiragirlposted 11 years ago

I think it depends on if it something I am really interested in learning about. I think hub that are in depth, but have many sections do not make it seem so long and is  easier to read. If I come across a long worded hub with no caption sections I usually move on to something else.

10. Gloshei profile image61
    Glosheiposted 11 years ago

If the hub is interesting then whether it is long or short it shouldn't really matter.
    Sometimes when it is extremely long I will bookmark it, make a comment on what has been read so far and then go back to it.
    Even make another comment if needed.
    Good question.

11. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Great  question, Docmo. I guess it depends really on what we are writing...a poetry or recipe hub can't be that long.. From what I'm understanding so far....it's not the length but quality, pictures that are important.

12. CraftingTime profile image66
    CraftingTimeposted 11 years ago

I personally like straight to the point hubs. Give me the topic, some background info, some relevant information and maybe a little humor. In my opinion a blog is not meant to be an encyclopedia. Instead, an easy point of view reference point.

13. AlanRimmer profile image65
    AlanRimmerposted 11 years ago

The length of the article is not an issue for me. The main thing that helps to keep my attention is how the information is presented. If this flows naturally and therefore makes complete sense then I will continue to read. If it jumps about all over the place causing total confusion then I quickly move on to something else. Long or short if it's interesting, relevant and useful it works for me.

14. ChristyWrites profile image79
    ChristyWritesposted 11 years ago

I think both types of hubs are good to have! Leave your reader wondering which your newest hub will be  - short and punchy or a lengthier one. Also, it depends on the type of hub that you write about. A poem or short story could be shorter than a hub about everything you want to know about chicken (and yes I am hungry right now).

15. myownlife profile image39
    myownlifeposted 11 years ago

so far as my experience, only some of the hubs are read fully as you find matter of interest and the rest we may underline them and try to write back on them so that our appearance could be there.

16. Vitallani profile image82
    Vitallaniposted 11 years ago

I don't like reading lots on line because it is staring at a screen too long. While I appreciate finding out a rich wealth of information, if it is a long article, I will usually skim to get to the points I find most interesting.

17. medicaribbean profile image59
    medicaribbeanposted 11 years ago

I read all hubs short or long if the topic is of great interest to me. The title alone can send signals if I want to start reading from beginning to end.

18. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 11 years ago

I personally prefer : get to the point hubs

main subject ---

Make a point

Clarify the point

Move to next point / subject

19. WiseRabbit profile image83
    WiseRabbitposted 11 years ago

I think if the hub is a little long but ENGAGING, that people do read it. Personally, I do not have a lot of time, so prefer shorter ones that are jam-packed full of whatever I am looking for. But if something grabs me, I will read it through.

20. Suzie HQ profile image92
    Suzie HQposted 11 years ago

I prefer ones with a bit of substance providing it is well written, content is broken up into paragraphs and article has photos, maps or other tools to enhance it. Some topics need extra length to be done right.

21. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Quality content with great pictures and must be helpful to the  reader

22. diplorging profile image66
    diplorgingposted 11 years ago

If someone just want to spend some time surfing, without the particular goal he would probably read something short and interesting. But when someone is interested in some topic he would probably read as much as he can about that topic..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)