Jumping rope or running?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Rebecca2904 profile image67
    Rebecca2904posted 11 years ago

Jumping rope or running?

What, in your opinion, is the best exercise to lose weight? I used to do a lot of running but I've been having some problems with my hip and ankle recently. I took a bit of a break because I don't want to do any permanent damage, but now I'm finding that I'm not feeling anywhere near as fit and I'm gaining a bit of weight. Jumping rope doesn't hurt my legs the same way that running started to, but do you think it is a comparable exercise in terms of fitness and weight-loss? Are there any other exercises you would suggest? Thanks!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6936634_f260.jpg

2. backporchstories profile image72
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

You can do hearty walks and cause less stress to the ankles and legs and still burn calories and up your cardiovascular system.  Between jumping and running, I think jumping does more for you.  You have to use your core to make the jump, which is important body building strength and will help flatten that tummy, while running is mostly the hips, legs and arms.  Good question!

Rebecca2904posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer! I'm definitely going to give jumping rope a good go, see if it makes much of a difference. I know that walking is good exercise too, but I'm not really overweight - I've just got some stubborn bits that won't shift! haha

3. beingwell profile image61
    beingwellposted 11 years ago

Running is a good way to lose weight. It's how I got to my ideal weight, in fact. Jumping rope however may also be effective, depending on the intensity of your exercise. Given the 2, I think running is safer though; and causes less impact than jumping rope. Here are other cardio exercises which you can do at home, http://goo.gl/B53Hy, in case you're looking for other workouts.

Thanks for your reply! I lost a lot of weight by running too, but it's not really possible to continue at the moment - I can only manage about a km before my legs start playing up. Great blog, too! Thanks for sharing.

4. DreamerMeg profile image79
    DreamerMegposted 11 years ago

Weightlifting is the best way to lose weight. It tones your muscles so they (a) LOOK slimmer and (b) they use up more energy, even when at rest, so you are constantly using up more energy. Check out your ankle and hip problems with your doctor, if they say it's ok, there are exercises you can do to help these. I used to have hip problems so painful I couldn't sit for long. I did more exercise and also did special hip stretching exercises because often it'e the tendons that have tightened and so are causing pain.

Thanks for answering! I do lift some light weights most days to tone my arms, but I like to do cardio too, it seems to be the only thing that will get rid of my tummy.

2. teaches12345 profile image76
      teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also lift weights, not heavy-weight, just to tone the muscles and to burn energy.  It works well. I would love to hear more about the hip stretching exercises. Maybe a hub?

5. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I can't stand running so jumping rope would be my favorite. You can workout while watching tv. Also, any time of the year without worrying about heat or cold.

6. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

Good question and I have to say probably both. I just started Jogging and I jog while I am on the treadmill. But jump-rope will surely get that cardio pumping pretty fast...

you could look it up online to find out which one burns more calories and then see which one works best for you..

7. Jeani Nugent profile image70
    Jeani Nugentposted 11 years ago

If your hip and ankle are bothering you, have you tried the elliptical? I know that it is designed specifically to take pressure off your joints. I have just started running after having back surgery so I am pretty cautious on how my body feels afterwards. I have also created a great team consisting of a chiropractor, massage therapist and physical therapist that have been a lot of help.

Thanks for your answer! I do use the elliptical whenever I go to the gym but I prefer exercising outside - I find it's much more enjoyable and doesn't feel so much like hard work!

I use the elliptical instead of the treadmill and it does cushion my knees.  I find it burns just as much if not more calories.  I agree with the therapy too, love it!

8. Gregoryy profile image62
    Gregoryyposted 11 years ago

Running burns more calories per hour than jumping. However jumping may place more resistance on certain muscles. The treadmill has been proven to burn more calories per hour than any other type of exercise equipment. Hill Sprints are safer on your joints than running on a normal surface, and burn more calories. Just make sure to take your time when going back down hill.

Riding a bike up hill is another great exercise that places minimal stress on the joints, swimming is another good exercise.

Weight Lifting will increase metabolism/ calories burned at rest, and will increase various fat burning hormones. However weight lifting does not burn that many calories especially compared to high intensity cardio such as Hill Sprinting.

It is better to do both

Thanks for you answer! Although I think it's running up and down hill that's done my ankle and hip in - I used to live on the sea front where it was perfectly flat, but as soon as I moved to a more hilly area I started having problems.

9. Steve Hunter profile image65
    Steve Hunterposted 11 years ago

Hey Rebecca,

I'll start by saying I am a professional personal fitness trainer, and I have held jobs working with physical therapists as well; I don't want you to think I'm just making stuff up, haha!

I am sorry to hear that your ankle and hip are bothering you. My immediate suggestion would be to discuss seeing a physical therapist with your physician. Most issues you have could be resolved in 6-8 weeks of physical therapy if you stay consistent with it.

Ok, now that the boring stuff is out of the way, there is no "best" exercise for fat loss. For all of my clients, I tell them it is a simple formula they must follow. This means doing at least 5-hours of activity per week which makes you break a sweat; it doesn't matter what it is! It could be playing basketball, hiking, volleyball; whatever you would have fun with and look forward to doing. The best workout you can do, is the one you don't skip! Also, (and this is where I lose most of them!) nutrition means everything. Fat loss is 80% what's going in your mouth and 20% exercise.

Sure, you can work out a ton, but if you eat junk that puts you way over your daily calories and puts all kinds of nasty hormones in your blood stream, all of that exercise is in vain!

My final recommendation for you due to your current pain restrictions would be to find a gym with a pool if you do not have your own. Swimming is very forgiving on the joints, uses every single muscle in your body, and devours calories (mostly carbohydrates). There's a reason most swimmers look lean and cut, after all! However, swimming DRASTICALLY increases your appetite for carbohydrates post-workout, so make sure you control the post-workout meal and only eat around 200 calories (half carbohydrates, the rest protein and fats).

I hope this helped!

Great answer! Thanks so much for typing all of that! I think my diet is alright, I have some stomach problems so I have to avoid junk food as a rule (though maybe I could drink less!)

I am going to have to swim a lot more now!  Great advice here and makes good sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)