Dieting, What has helped you the most to loose weight?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (47 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years ago

Dieting, What has helped you the most to loose weight?

I have done Weight Watchers which worked very well, but I don't have the time or $ now.
    Have you found tracking what you eat the best thing? I've started writing down what I eat each day. I hope this is enough motivation to keep up with the healthy eating and non overeating. etc.
    Thanks.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Lose weight, not loose. Loose is what we hope our pants are after dieting.

For me I have to log my food, and watch my portions. I am always amazed at how much more I end up eating - thinking I am eating the right amount. I measure it and realize I have been eating way more than I should.

So I log my food, and measure it - for the most part :-)  This works well for me WHEN I actually do it.  Need to now, can't seem to get started.

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Logging food sounds like a great idea, thank you for your input.

2. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol at your play on "lose" v. "loose" smile

3. Stina Caxe profile image82
    Stina Caxeposted 11 years ago

I think the best thing to do is try to substitute what you eat with healthier options.  Portion control is important as well.  Sometimes you just crave a taste but you aren't really hungry.  Sometimes when I crave something sweet I will make a cup of tea and use a little extra sweetener.  When I am craving salt I make a cup of chicken broth.  It's better than eating a bag of potato chips, and no carbs!

Also exercise is a must.  I have little ones, so I don't have a way to go to the gym anymore.  I use P90X and it is wonderful.  Very hard, but I love it.  Ten minutes of that makes me more sore than an hour at the gym for sure. 

There are also lots of websites on line that can help you track what you eat, your exercise and your progress the way that WW does.  They even offer groups for support and challenges that motivate you to exercise.  The one I like the best is called fatsecret.com.

schoolgirlforrealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's really good information, especially about the free traking online! Thanks very much, Stina Caxe!

4. donnah75 profile image91
    donnah75posted 11 years ago

Myfitnesspal.com is a useful, free tool to help track calories and set goals. It is working for me.

1. Sushma Webber profile image73
      Sushma Webberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi donnah, I checked out Myfitnesspal and joined up. Thanks for sharing it with us.

2. donnah75 profile image91
      donnah75posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!

5. roxanne459 profile image80
    roxanne459posted 11 years ago

Everyone is different of course but, I was able to lose pounds and maintain a healthy weight by just adjusting a few things. I removed simple carbs and dairy from my diet and added chia seeds and coconut oil. The seeds are loaded with protein and expand to 9 times their size so they really help me stay full for a long time and regulate my blood sugar. The coconut oil is a fat burning fat so that one is pretty self explanatory.
    Exercise is a definite bonus and it certainly helps speed up weight loss! If you aren't into the traditional cardio classes or gym memberships, simple things can work too. Take the stairs, stand instead of sitting, park far away from the store front, etc. It all adds up.
    Good Luck! smile

Did not know coconut oil is  a fat burning oil. Thanks for that.

6. Brucewayne3 profile image59
    Brucewayne3posted 11 years ago
  7. AbFreak101 profile image59
    AbFreak101posted 11 years ago

Cutting out milk has helped with bloat also fast food big nono also bread puffs me very bad and peanut butter

1. greencha profile image63
      greenchaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

AbFreak did you find it difficult to adjust to milk free? Regards

8. mr-veg profile image60
    mr-vegposted 11 years ago

Use the theory of relativity, hangout with people who are more healthier than you. So relative to their health, you will looks slimmer smile . And believe it or not is the easiest way to become slim smile

Thats a brilliant comment...

9. Sushma Webber profile image73
    Sushma Webberposted 11 years ago

I have noticed that whenever I follow a vegan diet I lose some weight without much effort. However, the results would be better if I included exercise as well and I am doing it now.

I recently learned that we have to burn 250 calories more than we eat, but not reduce the number of calories to 1200 calories per day. It would harm your health to reduce the number of calories to such a low level and it cannot be maintained for long. The weight would come back as fat when you get off such a diet. The trick is to increase the level of activity.

Another thing I learned is that 5000 steps per day means we are leading a sedentary life, 10,000 steps is an active life.

You are doing a good thing by maintaining a journal. Yoga might be of great help in helping with weight loss.

10. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Well, for me, I had lost 8 kg within 3 months when I calculate the amount of calories in food intake.

This means that I reduce my normal intake of 2500 calories to 2000 calories. So, after 3 months, I lost 8 kg. My wife was surprised that I can do it.

11. Kasman profile image76
    Kasmanposted 11 years ago

About almost 10 years ago now, I gave up sodas. Now mind you, I was drinking like 2 - 3 a day. I also stopped drinking fully sweet tea and began making half and half tea (half unsweet, half sweet). I started drinking a ton of water daily and I would walk quite a bit more than I used to. I worked out maybe 3 times a week. I lost 80 pounds in 6 months time. I went from 290 to 210.

Around 2009, I was fluctuating between 210 to 225. Finally, around 2010, I got down to 184. That was the best weight I'd ever been in my adult life. I effectively went from a size 38 waist to a size 34 for the first time. How did I do this? I began sticking with mainly whole grain wheat bread. I stopped eating as much iceberg lettuce and switched to spinach leaves lettuce. Got rid of a lot of extra processed foods in my diet and also eating out as much. It also helps that I was traveling abroad internationally quite a bit over the past 3 and a half years. Not as much processed stuff in some of these.

I just recently put back on a little weight in New Zealand because I was living there for much of last year and not able to do a lot of working out. I was in some deep intensive biblical study that took up quite a bit of my time and they eat alot of fish and chips. Getting ready to work that back off. That's another thing, get rid of a lot of the fried foods in your life and it will help tremendously. Sugar is a big one.
    I also agree with an above post about calories. Calories is what I try to watch more than anything else these days. You have to stop thinking I'm on a diet and start thinking, this is a lifestyle. Overall healthier choices.

Very good suggestions! I have decided to cut my sugar from 2 teaspoons to one. Hopefully I will be able to get it out completely smile

12. debris profile image79
    debrisposted 11 years ago

I still haven't reached my goals, but I have lost some weight. What I've done has been pretty simple for me. Anytime I get hungry, I eat a ton of salad. Once I'm full on salad, nothing else sounds good, even the most delicious things.

Some people can't do this method, but it works for me. :-)

13. greencha profile image63
    greenchaposted 11 years ago

Just eating less,and cutting down on eating slaughtered animals.Bread can be very fattening also..

14. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years ago

The best things for me have been:
    1) accountability. I hope you love myfitnesspal. I use it also. Make sure you have friends on there who are consistently logging in and will notice if you do not log in for a while. Also, you have to be committed to not cheating smile.

I sign up for races and classes with friends, and I am too prideful to let them down by not showing up! It is so hard for me to be disciplined to keep going especially when I don't see significant changes. But you can do it! It is all worth it when you start getting healthy and your body craves good food and exercise!

2) setting realistic goals. I know myself , and I am not going to lose a pound a week, and I am not going to lose weight at all during the holidays! It has taken me 2 1/2 years, but I have lost all 25 pounds I wanted to get rid of. And because I have made changes little by little, I am confident that the weight will stay off, and I am hopeful that my exercise routines will continue.

15. Theophanes profile image89
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

It's really quite simple.
    1) Avoid pre-made and packaged foods at all costs - there are chemicals in there that will keep  you coming back and none of them are good for you.
    2) Greatly limit processed sugars (I'm not saying you can't have dessert ever again just limit it.)
    3) Cook for yourself the old fashioned way with old fashioned ingredients (i.e. butter not margarine, no biscuits in a can, etc)
    4) Enjoy your food and be conscious of eating it. Don't eat when you're bored and if you over eat limit your proportions.
    5) If you can eat many small things throughout the day instead of two or three big meals. It keeps your metabolism going.
    6) Move. I refrain from using the word exercise because you don't have to go to a gym or buy a machine... just move. If you can do something standing instead of sitting do it. Park your car at the back of the parking lot so you have to walk. Pace while you're on the phone... its not as bad as it sounds.

1. profile image51
      cece444posted 11 years agoin reply to this

hu

16. Neinahpets profile image81
    Neinahpetsposted 11 years ago

Calorie counting.  Hands down. 80lbs lost through counting calories can't be wrong.  I use Caloriecounter.com, and now I also do TurboFire by Beachbody.

1. Neinahpets profile image81
      Neinahpetsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also created a hub about it but I forgot to select it as an answer to the question... whoops.

2. profile image0
      SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!  I would've gone crazy counting calories.  I get too obsessive and then get depressed.  I did it the "old-fashioned" way and exercised like crazy.

17. Arghness profile image89
    Arghnessposted 11 years ago

Motivation is the first key, but also my perfectionist nature has helped me to lose weight....oh and I've developed an eating disorder along the way.  But either way, it all started with motivation.  Finding a reason to do it.  Once you found that out, researching online the best methods of shedding weight, doing trial and error runs with diets, and asking for advice from nutricions.  From there...it was about finding the foods that my body likes, and enjoys eating, while making sure that they're also healthy and feasible for my diet.  Furthermore, finding a diet that is not only possible in the long run, but possible for life was a big hurdle to leap.  Some diets can only be done for a short while because they literally starve you.  I also had to learn to not  get so upset about what the Scale says, but listen more to what my body says.  Do I feel healthier?  Is there more of a spring in my step now?  It's not all about the numbers.  Anyways, there's some of my story, hope it helped!

18. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Eating breakfast will help you lose weight. I say this from personal experience and from reading about our metabolism. Losing weight is directly connected to how well and how fast we metabolize the food we eat. I recently heard that eating breakfast within 30 minutes of waking works even better. I'm working primarily from home since last summer and eat breakfast daily. I have literally kicked my metabolism into higher gear and have lost weight without really trying.

I recommend eating oatmeal, cold cereal with lowfat milk, and green tea. Also, decrease sugar intake where ever you can and look at your sodium intake. Salt increases water retention which leads to bloating and water weight.

1. profile image0
      SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have actually been drinking a huge glass of water first thing when I wake up, and it seems to cut my bloating and water weight.  I find the number on the scale doesn't fluctuate as much.

19. rumanasaiyed profile image73
    rumanasaiyedposted 11 years ago

I prefer Dieting+ Exercise (not very heavy) to loose weight.

When ever I think I have gained some extra weight, I immediately cut down my calorie intake and start to do some normal exercise . And I get  result in 1 month itself.

20. Sharicey profile image61
    Shariceyposted 11 years ago

Theres ton of great advice here but I wanted to add one point that I thought was most helpful for me yet overlooked when talking about weight loss. That point is that  long term success requires more than just a diet. With all the different diets and health advice out there you have to decide which one makes sense to you. Which one do you believe in. Defining what you consider a healthy diet will help you make changes that last forever. I  have a gluten intolerance so for me automatically, eating gluten free is a must. But for weight loss I found healthy for me is cutting out all the processed gluten free foods, eating healthy fats, drinking plenty of water, fruits, veggies and eating home cooked meals and using natural meals. I also try to go light on the grains but hope to go grain free soon. By doing so its no effort at all and I can indulge occasionally and I don't really worry about portions. Hmmm...I think you may have inspired a hub for me...

Looking at your answer here Sharicey ,I think you should go for it...

2. Sharicey profile image61
      Shariceyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Greencha!

21. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

Weight Watchers, hands down: and excercise.

22. BeccaBunnyBoo profile image60
    BeccaBunnyBooposted 11 years ago

Humn......well being short,I am compact into a smooched up frame,so 10 pounds for me is like 20 magnified.
    I have done many diets and lost weight only to gain it back ...the anwsers are pretty simple...
    excercise ...you have move more than you consume calories,ie this does not include using the tv remote....i tried this ...it only makes my wrist skiny!!
    when you go to the grocery strore stay on the perimiter...ie... getting fruits,vegetables.....(hey it works) and make sure you have enough protein.
    I did Dr. Garcias diet,500 calories a day and a gallon of water a day,i was loosing clumps of hair ,so bald and skinny I decided to be healthier and quit dieting
    drink water...flush out the yucky stuff
    its all about a life style change and moderation and portion control are the key...
    and i put a skinny picture on my frigerator....so i can visulize it!! good luck...and weight watchers is good,just takes a while to get it off...just remember we dont get over weight by eating a truck load of broccoli......and dwlz.com....can help too ...its dottis weight loss zone....she has all the points mapped out for everywhere...

23. Aakashaashish profile image40
    Aakashaashishposted 11 years ago

Basically 2 things in my case-
    1.Quitting Salt
    2. Steam bath

24. inding profile image73
    indingposted 11 years ago

Vegan raw food diet. Find out what works best for you... Good luck!

25. josephbarrett profile image58
    josephbarrettposted 11 years ago

Set an obtainable goal. This way you won't get discouraged. Realize that you can lose weight quickly, but don't expect to lose a lot of weight in a very short period of time. Healthy weight loss can be quick, but it shouldn't be too extreme. Find an exercise buddy. You are more likely to achieve your goals if you have someone motivating you along the way and pushing you to safely achieve your slim body.

Do not engage in diet plans that promise extremely quick weight loss results, are very restricting on the types of foods you can eat, and require binge dieting. These types of plans are unhealthy, can ruin your organs, decrease muscle mass and can lead to eating disorders. But you can reduce your quantity of food.

26. drpennypincher profile image85
    drpennypincherposted 11 years ago

For me, cutting down on my food budget was the key.  Spending less money was a motivating factor to keep me on my plan.  I used a 2 part plan:  1) spend half as much on food and 2) no junk food (or at least not very much).  Drive through dining and Doritos were out.  Packing my own lunch and smaller meals at home were in.

27. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years ago

Rule #1 -- "Diet" is a swear word.  If you think "diet" you WILL gain the weight back

Rule #2 -- Exercise.Every.Day.  When I first started working out (to Biggest Loser DVDs) I only made it through half of the warm up.  The next day I added 30 seconds, and same thing the next.  Pick a time of day that exercise works for you, and stick with it.  Switch up your routine so you don't get bored.

Rule #3 -- Eat when you're hungry.  Eat lean protein with every meal, and eat real normal food in moderation.  I'm a carb addict, so if I ate a sandwich I would use only one slice of bread and eat a large salad, or some veggies.  Small amounts more often should be your goal.

Rule #4 -- Pick one junk meal each week.  You will literally go nuts if you try to be perfect all the time.  This also challenges your metabolism to change things up a bit.

Rule #5 -- Repeat Rule #1

How do I know this works?  Size 24W to size 10 pants.  It ain't easy but it feels pretty damn good in the end....  Good luck!!!

28. busillis22 profile image89
    busillis22posted 11 years ago

Cutting out soft drinks, avoiding carbs especially for breakfast, and lots of exercise.

1. jenesmith01 profile image62
      jenesmith01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

this is a good one too i cut soft drinks out and dropped 5 lbs within the first two wks

29. Taleb80 profile image80
    Taleb80posted 11 years ago

I find good result from stop eating after 7 PM, even if you feel hungry take some fruits & reduce sugar & fat sure.

30. jenesmith01 profile image62
    jenesmith01posted 11 years ago

dedication to the decision to lose weight and a change in how i eat completly. I also would work out 3  to 4 times a wk.  Its about a lifestyle change. All those fad diets out there are just that fads. Healthy eating and working out and portion control when u are eating r some of the key factors. And its ok to cheat every now and then infact my trainer told me to that way its like ur treating urself for a week of great workouts or something.

31. Get Thin for Good profile image67
    Get Thin for Goodposted 11 years ago

You mention overeating. Now if you went on vacation and gained a bit of weight, that is an entirely different story to someone who consistently overeats. Since I am not sure what your particular battle is, I can't say which would be best for you, but you mention that you have done WW before and it worked well, which assumes you may have lost weight and picked it up again. If this is the case, did it really work very well for you?

What I am trying to get at is that if you are an overeater, the problem goes far deeper than a diet which is not a permanent solution. What you would need to do is address the root cause of the overweight problem, which is the way you relate to food. This is what needs to change.

For help, you can get answers at get-thin-for-good.com. There are also a lot of articles there, as well as the online weight loss program that provides help step by step.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)