How important is River Jordan to our growth in the Way?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Segun Tewogbola profile image79
    Segun Tewogbolaposted 11 years ago

How important is River Jordan to our growth in the Way?

Nearly all important spiritual events in the history of Israel was witnessed by River Jordan. What is the significance of Jordan to us today?

2. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

During the days of Moshiach -before and after- haYarden was used as a division between territories. It should be noted that haYarden is a shallow river, descending 250 kilometers, north to south, emptying into the Dead Sea. Thus, we seeking growth of spirit, should flee from this, unless we too run the length of history, remain shallow and ultimately be emptied into the dead sea.
    James

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As long as we have love and forgiveness in our hearts, in Jesus, we may remain filled in his goodness.  If we become filled with human wisdom, yes, soon, we may see ourselves in emptiness.

3. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

What does that question even mean?  And what significance does any of it have on modern day civilization?  Continuing to live with a 2000 + year old mentality can not be very healthy on the intelligent mind.

1. profile image0
      ctbrown7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess that is true if you believe truth expires.  There are timeless truths.

2. sarmack profile image60
      sarmackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Continuing to move further away from this 2000 + year old mentality can not be very healthy on the Intelligent mind.

3. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Humility and simplicity in one's spirit, for me, has kept me healthy in mind and spirit.  And I have seen it in many people.

4. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thnx for the explanation.  My ?s were not meant to be snide, just curious.  Hard to understand the need, but not negating its value to you or those who have it.  I have the same values but without a religious background.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I like the question. I was born and raised in a high desert. Water, any water, was treasured as life giving. Rivers are wonderful symbols of both constant change and constant flowing. Truly it is no accident that civilizations all began on waterways.
    The Jordan to me, will always be a witness to the great miracles that abound all around us.

5. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60
    Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 11 years ago

For me, the mysticism of the River Jordan fascinates me as it is a symbol of freedom from darkness, for in it I see the light of Christ shining that turns death to life.

The essence of our salvation is in our baptism, and in his baptism in the Holy Spirit, God the Father has blessed as he acknowledged his Son in Jesus, and said as the heavens parted, "This is My Son whom I love; with Him I am well pleased," as in Matthew 3:13-17.

How beautiful it is to see in us the divinity of Christ Jesus as we get baptized in water and in the Holy Spirit, in the 'name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit - the 'Three in One God,' that all may be enlightened to believe as we may pray in our hearts and spirit.  It's God affirmed in us as we be baptized, then we can truly say as we may believe, in us is the 'Temple of the Holy Spirit.'

But how can we live in his light if we refuse to believe in this truth?  A challenge for all who may remain in the darkness, and now wants to see the light.

Thanks for this beautiful question Segun.  Blessings.

6. sarmack profile image60
    sarmackposted 11 years ago

You have to cross the "River Jordan" to get to the Promised Land.

7. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

Your reference to "The Way" could mean The Way International which is considered by some to be a pseudo-Christian cult.  It could also be your way of referring to traditional Christianity.  Your reference to the River Jordan might mean the actual river or it could be an allegorical question about the need to cross the river into some kind of promised land.  I have no idea how to answer this question.

8. rafken profile image78
    rafkenposted 11 years ago

What happened to the Nile, Ganges, Amazon and Yellow rivers. They all saw spiritual events of one kind or another. Rivers always have been the places where civilization congregate, for obvious reasons and so they will bear witness to the events taking place. To say one is more significant than another would be bias to say the least. Each river, I am sure, will play it's own part in our futures and in our coming histories.

9. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Since the 1960s, the River Jordan has been transformed into a muddy, scummy irrigation and sewage ditch. It could be used as a symbol of the decline of religion in western civilization. It no longer serves as a good one for spiritual, tribal or cultural transition.

10. micadeolu profile image49
    micadeoluposted 11 years ago

It represents the river of life to me. This river of life is the one promised by our Lord Jesus Christ that He would give; that would spring up to everlasting life. I quote: (John 4:7-14)
    7 There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give me a drink."
    8 For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.
    9 The Samaritan woman said to him, "How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?" For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.
    10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, 'Give me a drink,' you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water."
    11 The woman said to him, "Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep; where do you get that living water?
    12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, and his sons, and his cattle?"
    13 Jesus said to her, "Every one who drinks of this water will thirst again,
    14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst; the water that I shall give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)