If your parents were strict, were you thankful/resentful and what lessons did yo

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

If your parents were strict, were you thankful/resentful and what lessons did you learn from

this experience?

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I actually wrote a whole hub on this! lol My parents were very strict, in fact my mother was quite controlling. I'm not resentful, although I used to be. I've come to the realization that I wouldn't be who I am today if I had not had the childhood that I did.

I think I learned how to be independent and ironically, think for myself. I also gained my integrity and work ethic from my parents, for which I'm quite thankful. My childhood was rough though.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

You keep asking very sensitive questions, but I like you so I'll answer. My father was very strict, once he actually whipped me with his belt because he felt I had done something wrong. My mother was on the other side of the scale, almost none existent. As you can tell they had issues so my parents can't count but for what to avoid. Children, on the other hand, need parents who show their love by being there, being interested in their children's lives and guiding them. That means that if the child is too young to stay out till 11, the parent has an obligation to be strict about that. Children whose parents are exemplary mothers and fathers understand the why; if they don't the parents need to explain. Did I turn out to be a good mother? After psychotherapy I found myself and became a great mother. My kids told me they always loved me----children are God's miracle.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your father was beyond strict, he was downright abusive.  No child should go through what you have went through.   My heart goes out to you.     When I mean strict, I mean parents who establish certain parameters but are still loving towards the kids

4. Tonipet profile image81
    Tonipetposted 11 years ago

My parents were strict and were never easy on us. Living under the house rules taught us to behave how teens should always be like coming home before the angelus, going out in proper attire, first things first before dating, etc. There were times we'd wonder why things have to be that imposed, yet me and siblings never were resentful. What I am now is a thing I'll always be so grateful for having been raised the way my parents did and I see this as almost exactly the same thing we would want our children to become.

5. WritingPrompts profile image64
    WritingPromptsposted 11 years ago

My parents were pretty strict.  I'm mostly grateful now because I learned to be self-disciplined (mainly to avoid punishment at the time...).  That discipline has helped me to be a more successful adult.

6. Amberjewell profile image61
    Amberjewellposted 11 years ago

I was given great responsibility from my father and step-mother when I visited. My brothers and I cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner and did almost all of the housecleaning while they worked full time jobs. I resented it back then...until I married a guy whose father walked around picking everything up after him until he was 25. I have struggled greatly to get him to be more responsible in that area and it's pointless. They also bailed him out financially so I think he has relied more on that than doing it himself, wheras my parents never bailed me out financially and now I see that I'm much more responsible than he is in both of those areas. Not cutting him down, but being married to him makes me greatful that my parents were the way they are. I teach my step-children the same way. Their mother lets them sit on the computer and in front of the tv all the time and asks nothing of them unless they volunteer. I do not want them growing up to be irresponsible and someone who causes others stress. I'm very greatful for certain aspects of how hard on me my parents were.

7. Bonitaanna profile image59
    Bonitaannaposted 11 years ago

My mother was very strict, she would not let me take part in any school sports, or activities, such as music, or go to hardly any school dances.  She used a belt, or what she could get her hands on and liked pulling my hair all the time. I was made to do the housework for 7 people.  I became so run down that I got mononeucleuosis  and was in bed for 2 months. The doctor told my mother to take me home and put me in bed till I get well if she wanted me to live.  I only weighed 98 lbs when I graduated from High School.  I could hardly eat anything when I was home.  My father was not like that to me. He did not know most of what went on in the house as he was out flying or farming most of the time.  Yes, I was not only scared of going home everyday, it made me run away from home when I was 12 years old. I learned not to treat my children like that.  I learned that hate and envy are a terrible thing, I saw it over and over. There was no love, no hugging or touching in a kind way. No complimenting in a nice way, no thanking for all the work I did for her growing up. There was either silence or screaming most of the time. I was also made to go to work outside the home at the age of 14 1/2 to buy my own clothes so my parents did not have to buy them anymore.  The other syblings did not hold down a job like I did and go to school at the sametime.  I cried in my pillow at night alot.  It was very painful and I still have ptsd about it, after all these years. The only thing good that came out of my childhood was the fact that I grew closer to God and took refuge in his words in the little New Testament Bible I had received from going to Bible school at the age of 6.  To this day my sister does not speak to me nor my two older brothers.  I love the Lord and they don't.  I was the 2nd child but oldest daughter. I wrote a hub and I was told to erase it, that it was too painful for our readers.
    There is alot more that happened that I have not mentioned here.
    There were 5 children
    My scalp was torn loose from my skull in one instance and I was taken to emergency as it was hemoraging thru the scalp.
    Just from being drug around by my hair all the time.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is very sad.   I assume that you were the oldest of a large family, am I correct regarding this?   I feel very sad for you.    Please share your experience with us by writing a hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)