If you had your choice would you live alone or with someone?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

If you had your choice would you live alone or with someone?

Many people prefer to live alone...others are always looking for their next partner to move in or have move in with them...which do you prefer?

2. profile image0
    HubTubposted 11 years ago

I prefer living alone.  I wouldn't mind a companion if it was my significant other or husband, but other than this, no roommates for me, except for my cats.  I value my privacy too much.

Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Privacy is important and you sure don't get that rooming with someone.

3. aDayInMyLife1 profile image89
    aDayInMyLife1posted 11 years ago

I prefer living with people. I believe it takes a village to raise children so the more help the merrier. Also, if you are living with the right people, like extended family and everyone loves and respects eachother it is a big help as well. People share the responsibilities of caring for the house, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc... Bills are divided among more people and you therefore save money. I vote for living with others.

I agree that it takes a village to raise children...too bad that doesn't always happen.  Co-housing solves many problems including monetary ones.

4. whaturmissing profile image76
    whaturmissingposted 11 years ago

I'm fortunate enough to not have to look for the next partner to move in, cause the one who did was my husband and he hasn't left.   Lifelong love.

What a great solution, LOL   Glad it worked out for you.  smile

5. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I have never actually lived alone, but I think I would like it. I don't want to lose anyone in my life, but I am quite comfortable having alone time and not worrying about mealtime or making plans dependent on other people.

Hi Pam-yes, I imagine you aren't cherish some alone time.  Thanks for your comments.  smile

6. algarveview profile image72
    algarveviewposted 11 years ago

During college I had roommates and personally I didn't enjoy it, you have to turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff, put up with other stuff and also you can't exactly do whatever you feel like. So, if the question is roommates or alone... the answer would be alone. Nonetheless, if you are talking about the significant other, then it's totally different, hubby is the best roommate ever and I simply love living with him, well, doing everything with him, actually...

Lucky you to have a great partner to share life with.  smile

7. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Honestly, I've lived alone for six years and just want to live with my partner. However, I would like to design the place.

LOL   That's funny...design the place for you and your partner?  Or design your partner?  LOL  Thanks for commenting.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Design the place for my partner and I. Luckily, my partner was design free. However, he didn't come with a handbook!

8. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I've lived with at least one other person for my entire life, and I'm about ready to do my own thing. I'll miss having someone to talk to all the time, but I won't have to get fully dressed to get a drink out of the fridge anymore! wink

Love your answer, LOL   You wouldn't have to dress at all, LOL      Talking can be handled via phone or Skype.

9. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 11 years ago

I'm not a highly social person, but I can't live entirely alone, either. It's comforting to me to be with my small family and to visit with neighbors and friends, I just can't overdo it. However, I do sometimes wish we had a cabin in a remote part of the country where I could get away to now and then. It would really help me write more, I'm sure! But I would always come back to the family, no doubt about it. I have known true loneliness in the past and believe me that is no picnic!

I think everyone needs an escape plan, haha.  A cabin in the woods sounds lovely.  My dad had one when I was a teen...

10. cpenge profile image59
    cpengeposted 11 years ago

I definitely enjoy spending time alone and taking care of myself.  However, I enjoy spending time with my husband and being able to come home to talk to him about life stressors.  The only thing that seems to be the negative are having to deal with your partners bad habits with them telling you what bad habits annoy them.  All in all everyone needs a connection and whether you find it in friendship or in having a partner you live with I think either way is good.

I agree...bad habits are annoying...either way.  smile

11. Peanutritious profile image60
    Peanutritiousposted 11 years ago

Living alone is great! I like time to myself. In an ideal world, I would have a house next door to my partner (if I had one!) so we could see each other but have our own space.

That's funny you should say this.  My (deceased ) husband and I used to say that to each other, haha.

12. FigureCompetition profile image67
    FigureCompetitionposted 11 years ago

I could not live alone (well of course if I had to I would have to). From living with my parents, to moving in with friends and now living with my own family I have only once lived on my own.  It was for 3 months and I did not like it at all - I constantly found excuses to see other people - I like time alone but a couple of hours is enough  to maintain my sanity smile

I think it is important to recognize your own comfort level about living solo and / or with others...it is an opportunity, at the very least, to explore WHY you do not like living alone.

13. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 11 years ago

If I had a choice, I would live with a husband and children.  But I don't have that choice, so I live alone with cats, hating every minute of it and lonelier than you could every imagine.

Loneliness is a heart breaker.

14. Autumn Renee profile image60
    Autumn Reneeposted 11 years ago

Though I prefer to be in small groups and have few close friends, I can no longer imagine living alone.  My husband is my best friend, my other half.  How could I live with just half of myself?

I hope you never have to discover that...

15. FBNaturalR profile image58
    FBNaturalRposted 11 years ago

I bought a house and lived alone for seven years.  My friend changed how his life was working and needed a place to stay so now he lives here, in another room.  I would prefer alone unless it was my partner.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  You are helping out a friend and that is a blessing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)