What's one thing you miss about being single?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (31 posts)
  1. missa72542 profile image90
    missa72542posted 11 years ago

What's one thing you miss about being single?

For those of you in a relationship, what's the one thing (or multiple things) that you miss about being single? I miss being able to listen to music while going to sleep. My boyfriend likes complete silence, I like music. But I don't play any so that I don't disturb him.

2. DreamerMeg profile image80
    DreamerMegposted 11 years ago

Not a "single" thing. Maybe it's been too long since I was single but I don't miss getting into a cold bed alone in the winter, or someone to share the household chores with. Sometimes I can't sleep at night, so I play relaxation tapes but I use headphones so it doesn't disturb my husband. The sound is turned down low so only I can hear them.

3. DaveysRecipeRead profile image59
    DaveysRecipeReadposted 11 years ago

Good question. Freedom is the answer. Freedom to do whatever you feel like doing without regard to someone else's wants or needs. Sounds just terrible doesn't it? But self-indulgence can also be healthy and even necessary.

missa72542posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand this, but in a different view. My boyfriend wouldn't care, but I can't do my own thing anymore. Because I moved over 1,000 miles away so I could be with him. So all my family and friends are back home, & I don't know many people up h

4. belleart profile image83
    belleartposted 11 years ago

freedom.  Being able to go anywhere, do anything or make any decision on the spot! I cant say I want it back though, I love my partner too much and we so everything together,  Now we plan, and think ahead and although its not as impromptu as when I was single, the memories are definitely better.

5. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 11 years ago

I miss living a care free life sad.  Now I have 2 kids to feed so I must work sad  When I was single I am only responsible to myself.

I miss drinking with friends every night smile  Now I life a sober life .....

6. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image62
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years ago

Reading,writing and ofcourse listen to the music but for the good company you can leave everything.

7. profile image0
    SkeetyDposted 11 years ago

I miss the ability to do what I want at a moment's notice.  Spontaneity is no longer an option for me.  And I miss taking risks as well. When you are in a relationship with commitments, risks are serious not exciting anymore.

8. Trinity M profile image82
    Trinity Mposted 11 years ago

To be honest, the benefits and joys of being with my husband far outweigh the little things I might have missed. I realise that a lot of the things I did when I was single (like take 2 hour baths) were ‘fillers’ because I had nothing better to do with my time. Being in a relationship makes me set my priorities straight.

But if I had to say one thing it would be lying in on Sunday mornings as my hubby is an early riser. smile

Lucky for me, my boyfriend likes to sleep in on his days off. So we both get to sleep late, heh. I think falling asleep with music is the only thing I miss. But I'm perfectly fine with giving it up. I'd wear headphones if they didn't bother my ears.

9. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

Probably the thing I miss the most is the excitement and anticipation of looking forward to either going to visit the person I'm dating or having her come to my place for the night or weekend. (There is a certain energy in the air that leads you to want to make the most of your time together). Whoever is hosting makes plans to ensure their time together will be special in some way.
    When you get married or live together no matter how much effort you put into it eventually that "magic" or "excitement" fades into relaxation or being "comfortable". I suppose it should come as no surprise that the more available something is the less (thrilling) or valuable it becomes. People get taken for granted in both small and large ways.
    Abundance of time together can lead to compliancy in relationships. The more time couples have together the less effort they tend put forth in trying to please or (surprise) one another. Overtime most couples fall into a (routine). Many of them find a high level of comfort/security in routine. While unpredictability can be exciting it can also be stressful for some trying to raise the bar time and time again to hold someone’s attention or impress them. I guess that is why they call it "settling down". :-)

10. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 11 years ago

I miss going to sleep when I want and waking up when I'm ready.  My partner doesn't need as much sleep as I do.  I love sleeping!  I go around feeling as though I'm sleep deprived most of the time.
    Otherwise, we make it happen OK - and now we are both stay- at- homers that takes a lot of compromising.

11. jaredbangerter profile image76
    jaredbangerterposted 11 years ago

Nothing, cause I am single and I love it.  Some day people will wake up and realize relationships aren't necessary at all for a happy fulfilled life.  In fact, I'm personally happier single with freedom than chained to some needy girl.

You might think relationships aren't necessary, and maybe they aren't for you.
      But I am happier than I ever have been in my life with my boyfriend, even more than when I was single. I wouldn't trade it back for anything. smile

2. LauraGT profile image85
      LauraGTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you just need to find a not needy girl!  smile  Seriously, I can respect someone's decision to be single, but I would caution against ruling out relationships because of a few bad apples!

3. jaredbangerter profile image76
      jaredbangerterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol :p i'm not blaming the girls i've been with.  i'm sure they would have been great in relationships with other guys.  it's just me.  i'm just not cut out to be a boyfriend.

4. missa72542 profile image90

And some guys arent lol. I know a few who are happier not in a relationship.

5. cebutouristspot profile image78
      cebutouristspotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being single has his pro's and con's and so does being in a relationship.

Its a choice that everyone have to do.  If in your situation the pro's and con's of being single outweight the pro's and con's of being in a relationship then go for it.

12. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 11 years ago

Nothing much, in fact not a single thing, being a single does not suit me or my temperament.

13. Electro-Denizen profile image80
    Electro-Denizenposted 11 years ago

Lying  sideways in a bed! Sprawling in all directions is no longer possible.

lol I get this one, for sure. tongue

14. LauraGT profile image85
    LauraGTposted 11 years ago

I'm really having a hard time with this one!  I think perhaps it's because I was unhappily single for long enough (met my husband at 31), that I very much appreciate all that being in a relationship brings. I think my husband and I have always supported each others' desires to do things. I don't think either of us feels like we've "lost our freedom" or our ability to be spontaneous.  We still do fun stuff when we want to, just usually together, by choice!  Now, having kids, on the other hand...

The kids thing is tricky. But atleast me and my boyfriend agree that we don't want kids. If it happens, it happens but we aren't trying. We like our non-parent hobbies and activities too much lol.

2. LauraGT profile image85
      LauraGTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha!  I absolutely adore my kids, but they certainly impact your ability to be spontaneous or really to do anything "for yourself" (besides enjoying your children, of course!)

15. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

Whether your music is stored on your computer or you use CDs or MP3 downloads, you could use headphones. There are some real good quality ones and maybe that would be the solution. As for what one misses about being single, in my case it would be not to be able sometimes to do what I want, when I want, which is just about what you're mentioning too. I insist on sometimes, because if I felt that way all the time, I should not be in a relationship. On the other hand, I wouldn't like to be with somebody who likes the same music, the same books, the same movies, the same food, etc. One of the most interesting parts of a relationship, in my opinion, is to discover someone who thinks differently, and does and likes different things. There is nothing more boring to me than a couple wearing the same christmas sweater, just in case somebody wouldn't notice they are a couple...

I've tried different kind of headphones, but they just dont work for me. Every kind I've tried has hurt my ears & just gives me a headache. I use to just let my music from my laptop play. Its not something I mind giving up for him, I just miss it

2. Globetrekkermel profile image64
      Globetrekkermelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha! I like the wearing the Same sweater part. I don'T Miss being single .i like  living double ,ha ha ha with
      particular  benefits.who says nobody can have the best Of bOth worlds. carpe diem and catch it while you can.

16. assimilated profile image60
    assimilatedposted 11 years ago

I don't miss anything about being single.

I'm glad to have learned more about me after getting into a long relationship with my partner.

In fact I don't believe that there should be any differences before and after committing to your partner.

Referring to your example: Why don't you sleep in different rooms if you want to listen to music?

No, I couldn't imagine not sleeping with my boyfriend. The comfort and enjoyment I feel being in his arms is way better than the mild joy I get from listening to music. Music is no where near that important to me.

2. assimilated profile image60
      assimilatedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

:-)

I'm glad you say that and enjoy your relationship!

3. missa72542 profile image90

I love him very much, lol. I miss listening to music at night, yeah. But I have no problem giving it up (Or a lot of other things for that matter) if it means being with him. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)