What is the greatest threat to the world today?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (24 posts)
  1. steveso profile image77
    stevesoposted 11 years ago

What is the greatest threat to the world today?

In today's world we are facing struggling economies, religious extremism, greed and poverty to just name a few. In your opinion what is the greatest threat to world peace and stability?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Iran by far is the greatest threat to the the World today. Especially when they get their nuclear program up and going.

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And couldn't that be blowback because of the rowdy nature of the new Evil Empire, America? Gotta love that Obama with his Kill List, ignoring his Oath of Office, dissing Congress, kissing up to the UN, failing to restore Habeas Corpus

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget his relationship with Israel. Very disturbing.

3. whonunuwho profile image52
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

Small people with big ideas.This would include many in this world, yet the main ones are small countries developing nuclear weapons and I mean WEAPONS...that once used, there is no turning back,.. total world destruction!!! Sad that only a few maniacs control so many innocents and all will suffer when they receive their just desserts. Why should the whole world have to live in fear and worry constantly about some fanatic using a nuke bought and paid from an old nuclear power?

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

Terrorism and economic slowdown are perhaps the greatest challenges, in my opinion.

5. Josak profile image59
    Josakposted 11 years ago

North Korea. Iran might get a Nuke and might even damage Israel with it if they are truly insane but getting the ballistics to hit far away from Iran is nigh impossible so most of the world is safe. Additionally if they did they would simply be wiped out and no one would care to help them. North Korea on the other hand is also insane, has many nukes, has the third largest army in the world and has the very real support of at least China and maybe Russia. It  wasn't that long ago that they mortared South Korea and a conflict there could start at any moment.

6. Attikos profile image82
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

Science and technology. They have yet to develop the capability of killing us all, or not that we know of. They're getting there, though, and they already have the capacity to end civilization. Since every asset ever invented by the mind of man has eventually been used by someone, the odds are high that sooner or later mass destruction and death through technology will be unleashed as well.

Eat, drink and be merry.

1. austinhealy profile image73
      austinhealyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, you may be right ! I'll drink to that

7. SportsBetter profile image64
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

The US starting World War 3, because of our interventionist foreign policy.

8. puregrace profile image68
    puregraceposted 11 years ago

The sin of all mankind, and the unwillingness to admit it, and to turn to the one who can save us. This is not my opinion - it's the truth according to the Bible.

And could that sin be "ego?" The willful turning away from God and submission to the physical master -- the action-reaction ego?

9. manthy profile image60
    manthyposted 11 years ago

Pollution & Technology - I can decide which is worse.

10. Globetrekkermel profile image63
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

The threat has been around since the invention of nuclear bomb.The superpowers have in their hand an arsenal of tools that can completely annihilate the whole world at the flick of a finger.Think of nuclear bombs,chemical and biological warfare.Thanks for vigilant watchdog organizations whose mission is to strengthen global security by reducing the risk of use and preventing the spread of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons .Otherwise, the whole human race would have been completely non-existent today.

11. cesargealogo profile image61
    cesargealogoposted 11 years ago

The greatest threat to world peace and stability today is the greediness of the few people and country to become more powerful. Because of this people are inventing weapons of mass destruction and most of the time manipulate the world economy. The few greedy individual and the elite are manipulating it all making other people of the world to suffer. There minds are centered on how to control the world and as a result there are lots of opposition that resulted into conflict or even war. The most affected are  the great masses. However, there is always a cure if they will change their perspective in life instead of focusing their minds with greediness why not embrace love and care.

Amen! Love and humility are the antidote, plus perhaps shining a light on the darkness.

12. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

Muslimes wanting to dictate to the world what is offensive.

13. BlissfulWriter profile image70
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

Global warming is a big threat to the world.

14. ronny2005 profile image65
    ronny2005posted 11 years ago

I think Global Warming and unauthorized & illegal Weapons are the greatest threat to the world today.

15. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Ego

This is the source of all evil -- fear, anger, rage, greed, lust for power, self-hate, suicide and much, much more.

A great deal of ego is concentrated around money and political power. We find this particularly virulent in Wall Street and similar places of financial power. The Rockefellers and Rothschilds may well be the Beast of Revelation.

Here's the late Aaron Russo describing some of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOj-rOGZFE

What Mr. Russo says about Rockefeller sounds hauntingly like Revelation 13 and the "mark of the Beast." They want world peace only if they can be in control and everyone else enslaved.

And it seems, as Mr. Russo implies, the Rockefellers may have been behind 9/11 -- murdering thousands of innocents for their political agenda, with Bush and gang going along for the ride.

We've already lost our voting in America. Here's 2 videos showing how voting and Roberts Rules of Order are dead in the political arena.

RNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

DNC Scripted:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaE2Aez_XY

And just to end on a lighthearted note, here's a 5-minute, humorous look at the lies of 9/11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmbPh3u7_q0

1. Globetrekkermel profile image63
      Globetrekkermelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You nailed it right in the head. E-G-O= EDGING GOD OUT.Such a simple answer to a seemingly  complicated question. Get ego out of the way, and the world will definitely be SHANGRILA!

16. Island Tropical profile image59
    Island Tropicalposted 11 years ago

The biggest threat to the world today is the internet scam affiliate networks, where lots of affiliate work like hell and at the end they get nothing. We all must combat these types of affiliate networks that cheat and keep all our commissions.

1. manthy profile image60
      manthyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah they are everywhere, robbing people everyday

17. Compelling Truths profile image54
    Compelling Truthsposted 11 years ago

I still believe that America is the greatest nation in the world even with all the problems we face today.  This country was founded on Christian values and it scares me to see our country systematically falling away from those values largely because of government intervention. 

Why do people from other countries want to come to ours?  I believe it is because they still see our country as the land of opportunity.  However, our society has grown to one that fosters a sense of entitlement rather than earning. 

And this may be a controversial statement, but why is it the wealthy don't have a right to riches at the expense of the poor.  In my opinion, being poor is a decision.  Everyone has the same opportunity for success!!  I agree with lone77star that ego plays a big part in that mindset of entitlement and is the greatest threat to the world.

With that being said, there is fraud that occurs at all economic levels.  I am not rich by the standard, but I am wealthy in so many other ways.  I have my faith, my family, my health, good friends, and a great business helping people.  So by that definition, I feel very rich and thankful!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)