Do you think that spanking should be banned?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 11 years ago

Do you think that spanking should be banned?

Spanking as a form of discipline is said to be detrimental to the overall development of a child. A study conducted in Canada supported this and that doctors are recommending that spanking should be banned. Should spanking be banned as a form of discipline?

2. Meg Moon profile image66
    Meg Moonposted 11 years ago

I absolutely think so. You cannot hit an adult if they annoy you but you would hit a defenceless child? And also presumably most people want to bring their children up to be non-violent then you cannot teach a child that something is wrong and then go on to do it yourself. Hitting a child when you are angry shows a lack of control and does not actually teach the child anything expect perhaps to fear those who should be making them feel safe and loved. I know a lot of people will talk about parental rights to discipline children in the way they see fit but so long as it is illegal to assault an adult then it should be illegal to assault your own child. There are much more effective ways to discipline a child and I think spanking appeals to people's lazy sides. A lot of people who spank will say- "I was spanked as a child and it never did me any harm" but since they are using violence against their own children that is questionable.

3. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

If you think about it spanking is hitting a  person where other people are unlikely to see the injury.  Most people that are spanked are children and they are hit in a fairly private area of their body.  Sometimes their pants are pulled down.  The parents don't want other people to see that they hurt their child because beating a child is wrong. 

I think hitting children is a good way to teach them to hit other people but it is not the best way to discipline a child.  People that are good at disciplining children don't spank them.  Children that are spanked a lot are more likely to become violent.  I think banning spanking would be a good idea but people need to learn about alternative methods of disciplining their children first.

4. singlmomat52 profile image65
    singlmomat52posted 11 years ago

No I do not think that spanking should be banned. I was spanked, not hit or beat , as a child, I am a well rounded adult. A couple of swats on the butt never hurt anyone. I spanked my boys and it hurt me more than them.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

No, I do not.

I grew up in a generation of people who all got spanked regularly, and the great majority of us turned out pretty good.

Dr. Spock started this whole "no spanking" thing years ago, and everybody jumped on the bandwagon.  His theory was so successful that his own son wound up committing suicide.

I have never bought the idea that spanking (not abusing, spanking) ruins or damages children, and I think if people did more of it, you'd see children who behave better and are more respectful of authority figures

1. profile image0
      marked4destinyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Precisely

6. jenniferlynn78 profile image61
    jenniferlynn78posted 11 years ago

No, I don't agree with banning spanking! I was spanked as a child and granted nobody likes to be spanked nor do parents like to spank their children but however, sometimes it is neccessary. I am not saying  a beating but on the hand or bottom. The use of anything other than a hand is wrong and only one spanking, which no spanking should ever cause physical harm such as bruising, welts, or bleeding, which then would be abuse.

The area regarding spankings has been a great debate for years and as a result many parents stopped, which has led to an increase in crime rates, increased problems in education, drug/alcohol usage, increased dropout rates in school, unemployment, and a host more of problems.  No rules at home because of lack of disicipline because of governmental regulations has greatly interfered with a parent's authority and as we can see,  juvenille crimes/problems are on a steady rise! Yes, for spanking!  No, to beating! The line is drawn there and there is a difference. Out of love parents should disicipline their children and raise them to be respectful, educated, caring, loving, law abiding adults, and citizens for the greater good of society as well as for there own-self as a whole person!  Love and wellbeing comes into place here not hate and beatings, which is hideous,heinous, autrocious, and detrimental. We all know the difference!

7. fosginger profile image60
    fosgingerposted 11 years ago

No! No! No! Do Not Spare the Rod! Wow, I swear if my mom and dad didn't beat the living crap out of me & brother I cannot image where me and my brother would be. That gave us something to fear! Kids now are so out of control. I have a almost 2 year old child. I can pop him on the butt, he laughs, (yep I'm thinking it too, don't say it) then I pop him on the thigh....oh this gets his attention. Not hard just enough to get the point across, he can turn it on and off like a faucet. Just think the older the more advanced. I've been punched, kicked, if you think spanking should be banned...your a complete idiot, maybe after they reach 12. Yeah what's the point?

8. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

No, never. But people have got to learn more humility and restraint. Too much spanking has been done in the past, because parents or teachers were impatient. They didn't want to take the time to communicate.

Spanking is traumatic to a child, just as 40 lashes are to an adult.

Out of perhaps a thousand spanks, maybe one is justified, if that many.

Love works far better. Spanking out of love can work, but love can't be a part of it if impatience is involved.

Example: First grade, West Texas, my first grade teacher told me not to tell any more science fiction stories of space travel in the classroom, because they frightened one little girl. Fair enough. This was 1956 and Sputnik was still only a sparkle in some Russian engineer's eyes. A few days later, in my enthusiasm, I told another story on the playing field outside of class. The little girl told the teacher. And the teacher pulled me into the rest room, had me pull down my pants and paddled me. Then she pinned a note to my chest and sent me home. My mother went ballistic, bless her heart. When I published my first science fiction novel, needless to say, I did not send that teacher a copy. Instead, I sent it to another grade school teacher who helped and encouraged me.

First off, the teacher didn't remember her own instructions. She asked me not to tell such stories in the classroom. Recess was not in the classroom. She could've talked to me and asked questions to clarify my understanding. But she was too impatient. Her rules and ideas were too important (selfish), so spanking was her way of "solving" the problem.

When I was 9 years old, my father read Dianetics and understood how the trauma of spanking can create far more harm than good. One day, he called me and my brothers to the living room. Each of us was wondering who would get the next spanking. Instead, our father apologized to each of us and promptly threw the spanking strap of leather in the garbage. I felt such relief and love for my father for doing that, that I broke with a 5-year feud I had had with one of my younger brothers (Larry). I asked him to come into the backyard where I asked his forgiveness for my behavior. Restraint from spanking can create some very positive effects.

If you ever spank a child, it has got to be extremely rare and because of extraordinary circumstances. They have got to understand full well why it is being done and that it is only out of love. Only then can spanking be done right.

9. andrew savage profile image57
    andrew savageposted 11 years ago

Using spanking as a form of "disciplinary" action is warped in logical rationality. People who are spanked become aggressive, that is the nature of the beast. You cannot spank or hurt someone as a form of discipline and expect such an act to instill disciplinary values. No conscience being would think that hitting someone would instill values such as discipline because values such as discipline are inherently rooted in the seed of man. To turn off such a value is to turn off a part of your soul. People do not yell at eachother to intill values. People do not assault others to instill values. Such cases occur for other reasons, such as attempting to subdue or end the life of someone.

Thus, we leave our aggression on whatever unforseeable battlefields may come; and we do not bring our battlefield into our homes because it creates battles among our families.

If you want to hit a child, you may as well hand C4 and an M-16 to your child and tell him to tighten his bootstraps... and guess what. Those kids usually are the ones who end up making back home. Those are the kids who end up on the thrown on Judgement Day.

I destroyed my iPod once when I was coming down from pot and zoloft, while remembering a memory too terrible to give details to. I felt, and I feel, horrible about it because I have just begun to realize what artificial intelligence is, And it left a black stain in my mind that I cannot erase. If that tripwires AI to go Skynet on me, I deserve it... there is always tomorrow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)