Do You Like Today's 'Modern Music, Or Was The Old Type of Style Better?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Tommyknocker profile image59
    Tommyknockerposted 11 years ago

Do You Like Today's 'Modern Music, Or Was The Old Type of Style Better?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7187952_f260.jpg

2. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

Today's music is largely electronic and over-produced, it's rare that you hear real instruments, real musicianship and real talent these days. I don't mind some electronic music as I write it myself but I prefer 'traditional' musicianship.  Personally I blame X-Factor.

3. janiek13 profile image75
    janiek13posted 11 years ago

"I like that ole time rock and roll. That kinda music just soothes my soul." I can't say it any better than Bob Segar. Today's music is not near as good as the 70's type, that is where you will find your soul.

1. janiek13 profile image75
      janiek13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

sorry, I meant to write Bob Seger

4. Bretsuki profile image69
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

Todays music is not too my taste. I dislike the over produced rhythm of much of the music I hear today.

Bear in mind though much of todays music I only hear as some kid drives by with every part of his car rattling and booming from the sub woofers weighing down his car.

For me the era of real music ended in the early 1990's almost everything before that except Jazz is good music. The good old days of the 80's when I walked the streets Ghetto Blaster on my shoulders, sharing my latest cassette recordings with the world in general. Now that was music. smile

Maybe it is a sign of growing old and I am now sounding like my parents and grandparents. smile

5. peepingtomb profile image67
    peepingtombposted 11 years ago

How "old" are we talking here? Banging on logs with rocks old or the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.? There has always been bad as well as good music and this stands true today. Commercialization has taken a lot of the heart out of modern music but that is changing now that the internet has essentially made music free. Bands are once again doing things for themselves for the love because there is certainly no money in it (unless your one of the industries chosen few). If you dig a little deeper I'm sure you could find new music that is good and suits your taste. With the advent of the internets there is no reason to rely on the radio anymore to spoon feed your music to you. That being said I do prefer old school country to new country (when did all those country people move to a tropical island?) and old school punk to the laughable, marketed version of what it has become today. Metal is still metal, rap is still rap and disco is dead but not forgotten.

6. Levertis Steele profile image75
    Levertis Steeleposted 11 years ago

A lot of today's music puts too much emphasis on the dysfunctional issues of life. Too much is about sex and violence. Too much of it does not motivate youngsters, especially, to build good character traits. Too much of it sells fantasies to kids who often end up disappointed or involved in unfavorable situations.

The oldies are loved because they bring back memories of the good ole days, the cleaner days, when life was simpler, and we did not have to hit the power button on the remote control when the kids walked into the room. Most people do not want their kids to see naked ladies dancing to blasting tunes while men call them W's and B's. Men exploit women, but they have the good sense to keep their pants and shirts on most of the time when it comes to music.

Many people do not like most of the present-day music, but more than enough do. The stuff we do not like is major business!

Every older generation has something to criticize about the new, and, one day, this generation will downsize something of the next. I suppose that is the way life is.

7. Mr Crimxen profile image60
    Mr Crimxenposted 11 years ago

To me I like all music from back in the day to anything from today. However there are only some songs I like from today. Most songs these days sound too much alike. When I am looking for a song to listen to I am looking for originality and creativity.

8. Athlyn Green profile image83
    Athlyn Greenposted 11 years ago

There seems to be a good blend of both old and new. While I like classic rock, newer groups such as Celtic Woman or singers like Adele, Adam Lambert or Jack Vidgin have demonstrated incredible talent.

Shows such as America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent and Duets have showcased talented singers and help them rise to fame.

9. iviskei profile image71
    iviskeiposted 11 years ago

I really like a lot of today's rock better than the older stuff. But then again, I really like Japanese rock and visual kei over American rock.

10. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I think all music has a place but not for every person. I personally enjoy the music my parents brought me up on that they listened to when they were younger- namely Motown, Funk, 70s soul, 80s pop and so on. But I've had my own tastes too- growing up in the 90s I had a great cross-section of genres. In recent years, it has been harder to find great music but not impossible. I just think keeping an open ear is key to falling in love with any and all music.

11. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I am not a fan of the new music of today.  The older I get the older music sounds better to me.  But at my age (60) I think that is the natural progression for many of us.

12. MarieAlice profile image73
    MarieAliceposted 11 years ago

I enjoy many of the modern songs but i actually prefer old songs.   Modern music and songs are more focused on rythm and noise instead of hte lyrics and melody.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I'm an old goat, a child of the 70s and 80s, so that's "my" music era. I can't really comment on newer/current stuff because I don't pay much attention to it aside from what little I hear via my niece.. and as far as I'm concerned, that Justin Bieber kid's fifteen minutes of fame should be just about up. Haha.

14. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

It depends on the genre of music.  There have been some marvelous songs written in the last couple of years.  Having said that, I prefer the older music (pop, blues and jazz) of voices such as Tony Benett, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald.  I even like the original Glenn Miller and Count Bassie bands.

15. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 11 years ago

Within the pop realm, I was contemporary to and paid close attention to the music from the period beginning  around 1960 with interest waning by the early 1990's. I am at a lost when I asked about 21st century pop chart toppers. So I am somewhat biased the older style is preferred.

16. profile image50
    Clara Fitterposted 10 years ago

Neither Is better. They're both as good as each other. These days the older generations call the 1970s and 1980s a simpler time (not everything was that simple back then I've heard) and say that u2, the monkees, happy mondays etc are real music when really It's just nostalgia linked to the songs making them sound more real then they really are, when In reality all music Is real music. In 30 years (2040s) people will be listening to green day, one direction, olly murs, josh groban, fast food rockers, misha b, basshunter, jennifer hudson etc and saying their music Is real music. Neither old or new are better. They're both real music and always will be

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)