Is God married?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Is God married?

In many traditions the Supreme God has a consort or female counterpart to balance the male energy.  Examples are Osiris and Isis, Krishna and Radha, and Zeus and Hera

2. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

God is neither male nor female - so... no. He/she is omnipresent - everything in existence is contained within the body of God. So who is he going to marry? Someone outside of existence? ie something that doesn't exist? Or something inside existence which means he/she would effectively be marrying his/herself...?

Darrell Robertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let me rephrase. The Supreme Being as a single entity. Not God in the all encompassing form.

Dan Barfieldposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was merely going by the most commonly accepted attributes of the 'one God' ie that it is Omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient (present in all things, all powerful, and all knowing). To posit a 'supreme being' without these aspects is nonsensical

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 11 years ago

The monotheist's god doesn't like to have sex for some reason. Though at least once, he supposedly used his holy spirit to impregnate a teenage girl named Mary.

I think I will leave it to the tradiontal monotheists to comment on this one.  Interesting answer.

2. Chris Neal profile image79
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Christian God doesn't need to have sex. He creates people without it. He is fully content and fulfilled within Himself. My understanding is that the Muslim concept of God is one who is above mere humans and would never lower himself something lik

3. oscarwms profile image62
      oscarwmsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The invisable God cannot have sex, for he has no body Jesus was born of the Holy Spirit without having sex with Mary.

4. Darrell Roberts profile image72

Ok if God can do ANYTHING, why He/She/It cannot have sex? Not logical.

4. Rufus89 profile image82
    Rufus89posted 11 years ago

Yeah. "Traditional" monotheists... But what about Latter Say Saints? "Their God" definitely has a wife. Sex is a required part of creating children and expressing love and unifying the marriage. Their God commands them to get married, and is required of them to get into the highest kingdom of heaven. That's why it's no surprise to them of this new "news" that Christ supposedly was married. He set an example getting baptized, so he set an example getting married.

1. Chris Neal profile image79

LDS are not monotheists.

2. Garlonuss profile image78
      Garlonussposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LDS monotheism depends on interpretation. They teach that God is Christ's Father and the one God to whom all should bow, that Christ and the Holy Ghost are separate from God. The three together make up the Godhead, but still only one God the Father.

5. Deepak Chaturvedi profile image63
    Deepak Chaturvediposted 11 years ago

According to Hindhu mythology mostly gods are married like Krishna married to Rukmani(radha still his beloved)Rama married to Sita and Shiva Married to Parvati.This list is endless and it's shows the balance in life and it proves the importance of the female counterpart.

6. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

This one is truly the most inane of all questions ever asked on HP.  There is no answer to this question as no man has ever seen or heard from any deity of any cult on this planet.  Therefore no human can answer this question with any logic or certainty.

Ok you got me.  Some of my questions are strange.  I ask questions to see how other people think.  I do not know who has heard or seen what, that is why I ask the question. Best wishes.

7. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

No. God is not married.

Like Dan Barfield said, God has no gender. God is supreme source. There is no other or outside.

God is the Supreme Being, a single entity, and the all encompassing -- but is formless.

God is non-physical, spiritual and immortal source of creation. Even "immortal" is likely inaccurate. Perhaps it's better to say that God is timeless, because He is outside of time.

Comparing God with other gods is like comparing a galactic cluster with a grain of sand.

God isn't made of anything. Some theological figures are dichotomies; God is above all dichotomies.

Osiris (Auser) and Isis (Asett) were likely groups, not individuals. Look at the details of the Auser, Asett, Sett and Heru legend. At one point, Heru cuts off Asett's head and hides it from her in the mountains. Ra helps restore her head and she reinforces her protection. This makes sense if Asett is a group with their leader (head person) being kidnapped. I suspect that Asett was the group of friendly Atlantis refugees and Sett (Seth) was the group of aggressive and selfish Atlantis refugees attempting to conquer Kemet (ancient Egypt) from the Auser group of 14 confederate cities. The former leaders were brought together once again to give their blessing to a more aggressive, youthful group of leaders (Heru or Horus).

And speaking of Zeus, look at the legend of Zeus's first wife -- Metis.

Metis was said to have been the wisest individual of all time. Prophecy told that her children would overthrow Zeus as king of the gods, so Zeus swallowed her whole. Later, Athena, already conceived, was born full grown, with armor and weapons, from her father's head.

Compare this Greek myth to the story of Atlantis.

Atlantis was said to have been the most advanced society of all time. By their actions, Atlantis was threatening to take over the entire world. For their selfishness, nature (the ocean) swallowed Atlantis whole. Later, the refugees of Atlantis, already fully mature as a society, with technology, weapons and armor, escaping from the capital (head) city.

Practically a perfect match between the Atlantis story and the Metis-Zeus myth. What's striking is that Metis and Athena were female, implying that Atlantis in its latter days was a matriarchy and so were the refugees. The Basques, Etruscans, Sumerians, Georgians, Dravidians and Mon-Khmer all held matriarchal or egalitarian qualities, and all spoke agglutinative languages.

Gods? To primitives without technology, perhaps...

Thanks Lone77Star, I know several versions of the Ancient Egytian myths.  I also know Greek mythology. I did not see your response to Krishna and Radha.

8. oscarwms profile image62
    oscarwmsposted 11 years ago

The God that I serve is not married to a female counterpart. He is Jehovah. He is spiritually married to the nation Israel through an unconditional covenant. "Return faithless people" declares the LORD, "for I am your husband. (Jeremiah 3:14) If you will return, O Israel, return to me," (Jeremiah 4:1) Israel commits spiritual adultery by turning from the LORD and turning to worshiping other gods that have eyes that cannot see, ears that cannot hear and legs that cannot walk. Idol worship in other temples or groves they have set up for themselves.

Whenever Israel is disobedient God sends a profit to speak to them the words of the LORD. In this case the prophet Jeremiah was sent to warn them and to call them back to the LORD. During the reign of King Josiah Israel went up on a very high hill and committed spiritual adultery there. The LORD thought that Israel having done this she would return to Him but she did not. The Lord said, "I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries. She (Israel) defiled the land and committed adultery with stone and wood or gods made of stone and wood.

What is the difference between God and LORD?

9. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

that is a difficult question for me to attempt a defiinite answer. I know of Asherah and the ancient texts where Asherah was written. I know of the history regarding Asherah edited out of biblical text. Ponder the controversy and where the text would have led if not written out. Then again, was Ruth, Mary the Mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene an attempt to write femininity within diety back into the bible - just a thought.

Then again for them to be married, then someone had to marry them. Who is of a higher authority than God. Or, is the triune godhead really a triangle or is it a square composed of 4 triangles? Propositional thought runs rampant at times.

10. Chris Neal profile image79
    Chris Nealposted 11 years ago

Wow. Although I have a definite opinion about this, I must say that reading the various comments has been quite an education!

Same here, so many interesting hubbers.

11. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

Sure, according to our Hindu myth, God can marry and many of them have married too.

12. ericdunbar profile image84
    ericdunbarposted 11 years ago

First, let me say that we can not speculate or assume anything when we are endeavoring to know anything about the God of the Bible, the Supreme Maker and Creator of the universe and everything that exists. The answer to this question must come from the Bible, which is the Written Word of God in which He tell us everything that we need to know about Him.

God is not married, for His Companionship is in His Son and His love relationship is with us. All of these other gods are created in the imagination of the human mind and are nothing more than wood, stone and metal. They have no power, neither are they alive.

Nowhere in the Bible is there any mention of God and a female counterpart. We seem to think that God is like us, when it is the other way around. He created us in His likeness and His image, The first human was a man--Adam. Adam was alone in the Garden of Eden and God saw his lonliness. He caused a deep sleep to fall upon him (deep sleep causes us to dream); God saw what the man was dreaming about (a woman) and He took a rib from the man and created a woman (the thing he was dreaming about) and brought her to him.

God does not need the companionship of a woman, human males do; for God has no need of sex. He is God, Supreme, Holy and Righteous. God is Spirit; He is not like us, and He is not married.

There are other scriptures that as in existence other than the Bible.  This is one view point. I respect it, though I disagree. Best wishes

I agree Darell - there are other scriptures and other worlds views. The word God does not always denote the Judeo-Christian ideology. Better to try and find a unifying aspect from all faiths and make a judgement based on this perhaps?

3. Chris Neal profile image79

That depends. If there is a God (1, singular) then best to know the truth. If many, or nebulous, then yes. If no higher power, best to just forget the whole thing.

4. Darrell Roberts profile image72

Some traditions have God as the all encompassings. Then there is the supreme being the most "powerful" single living entity.  I think the supreme being may be a better phrase.

13. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Recently I saw something on the news saying that they are finding things that suggest jesus had a wife. If that really is the case then in a sense the Christian God would be married. Most Christians I know believe that Jesus is the son of God but also God at the same time. So that would imply that if Jesus was married then God would have had to be married also if they are one in the same.

1. oscarwms profile image62
      oscarwmsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did not have a wife while on this earth. If he did I would have been recorded in the Bible. 1st centry historians like Josephes would have written about it. The universal Church is said to be the bride of Christ. He will come back for her.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well according to the show I watched archaelogist have found evidence of a wife. I have no idea what evidence they claimed it was but I think if it turns out to really be evidence people will have to accept it as true.

3. Darrell Roberts profile image72

This is one of the few issues I take a neutral stance.  If Jesus had a wife where is it recorded and did he have children?

4. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"A small fragment of faded papyrus contains a suggestion that Jesus may have been married." This quote was from google when I looked it up again. They claim to have just found the documentation.

5. Dan Barfield profile image73

Actually it was recorded in the Gospel of St Thomas that he had a wife - and there is also writings within the dead sea scrolls that name the very same 'doubting Thomas' who penned the mentioned gospel as Jesus' twin brother...

6. Darrell Roberts profile image72

Thanks, from what I have viewed, there is still no certainty either way.

14. faisalb87 profile image40
    faisalb87posted 11 years ago

No God is not Married because God has no gender. He is alone there is nothing like him.

1. Dan Barfield profile image73

Totally with you on that one!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)