What do you do when people lash out at each other on your Hub? (in comments)

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

What do you do when people lash out at each other on your Hub? (in comments)

Sometimes people have different opinions and argue in the comments section. They reply each other and it gets tense. Do you just watch the drama unfold, intervene, or delete the comments and wish you never published the Hub?

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

I think discussion adds value to a hub if it's a healthy debate.  If it goes down the slippery slope into personal attacks, name calling, etc then I would certainly delete those comments with a private note to the poster as to why.  If it's simply debate or disagreement and banter - it adds interest to the hub and means your writing provoked thought and discourse which is a good thing most of the time.

3. isenhower33 profile image66
    isenhower33posted 11 years ago

ChristinS is right, a good argument over something isn't always a bad thing. It can help out with comments and views for your page. As long as you dont take it out of hand then its a great thing smile

4. MickS profile image59
    MickSposted 11 years ago

I would imagine the best course of action is to disallow the comments, there is a forum where people seem to get away with that sort of behaviour.  None of us write hubs for them to be a battle ground for other hubbers.

5. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

i agree with ChristinS that this kind of banter adds to the hub interest.  I find on H.P. that people tend to delete comments that are not in agreement with the writer's point of view.  This seems to be an attempt to make their articles appear to be accepted by all, when in fact it misinterprets the facts.
    I rarely disallow any comments whether pro or con unless they are derogatory to the point of distraction from the article itself.  But i also comment to them,  that name calling, and personal attacks are ploys of those who really have nothing to add in the line of intelligent debate.  You can also simply thank them for their input, and suggest that they write their own article on the subject instead of trying to re-write yours as i have done many times to those who disagree and try to rewrite my hubs to mirror their views instead of mine.
    When you write an article that is controversial and not mainstream you invite criticism, but do not deserve to be subjected to hate speech, threats and/or name calling.  When those things occur, you also have the recourse of reporting them to the hub pages team for their review and disposition.

1. BlossomSB profile image80
      BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good advice.

6. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I don't think I hav ever deleted a comment unless there were some type of pesonal attack or name calling involved. If a hub  elicits a passionate discussion that is a good thing. However I would not want my comments section to be "highjacked" by two individuals playing (comment ping pong) either unless it is between me (the authur) and a reader.
    Even then at some point I would say, "We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks so much for you input on my hub."  Afterwards I would delete any of their  comments that come after mine unless they in turn decide to call it a truce as well.  Ultimately it's (your hub) and you have the right to have it presented the way you want it. I've seen some Hubs where the writer does not allow comments. I belive isabellasnow was one such writer.

1. tussin profile image57
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Two other writers disabled all their comments too.  But it's because these writers are full of crap and every commenter has pointed it out.  When I see a hub with disabled comments, I am suspicious of the author's credibility.

7. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

If that happened, I would delete the comments. I think it adds nothing to the hub.  The hub is my work and my opinion--and a bunch of arguing is not going to enhance it.  They can take it to the forums.

8. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Let it be.  That kind of drama generates views.  Unless they are attacking you as the author or trying to undermine your credibility, let them go at each other.

1. isenhower33 profile image66
      isenhower33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I mean if everyone on your post feels the same as you do and one person is lashing out id def let it stay lol because you have a bunch of people backing you, so the more that person talks the more they will talk about and the more views+comments smile

9. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Can you imagine a paradise where personal aingst can be thrown against your pards? A Place where you can spit and curse and bite and lash out. It would be wonderful if folks could just let ya'll kick and git and mash and let steam flow like old faithful.
    I beg your peaceful following to not just allow but to be receptive to a point of view not loved.
    Pour tea, invite in and embrace a great world and point of view that is not yours.
    Our brothers and sister vent here. What a good thing, for a fire that vents does not explode.

10. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I try to point out the positive notes of each and cool them down. When writing it's difficult to understand a person's tone and intention and misunderstanding is a natural consequence. It disappoints me greatly when the host stays 'out' of it. I believe a host's duty is to ask constructive questions, respond to all comments (not everyone does) and keep the peace (if need be).

I never delete comments unless they have foul language, and that's never happened so far. Deleting all other types of comments to me is disrespectful. By the way when a host responds in correct manners to each comment he/she automatically creates a positive atmosphere.

11. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

When someone lashed out at my hub in the comments I deleted the comment.  However that was because the comment did not make much sense to me.  They did not tell my why they thought I was wrong or mention anything about their personal experience.  They just said the information I provided was wrong but in a rude way.  I assumed they had formed an very strong opinion that was not based on facts and removed the comment.

I have never had people lashing out at each other repeatedly before.  If that happened I would probably try to control the comments by commenting on their comments or deleting their comments.  Arguments can be good if people explain their opinions and listen to each other.  It is bad when one or both of them just say the other person is wrong.

12. dianetrotter profile image61
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

It depends on the hub.  If I don't care or marginally care about a subject, I will ignore it.  Sometimes I unfollow.  I am a Christian and read most posts, including rants.  I choose to answer wisely.  I don't argue and attempt to give a civil, loving response.  Sometimes I try to ease the tension.

13. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

As long as they are reasonably on topic and not taking personal jabs, I'd keep the comments. If it devolves into offensive or threatening language I would delete the comments. Otherwise, it adds to the discussion and can bring up some interesting viewpoints. I doubt that I would wish I'd never published the hub. I would like to think that my writing might entertain or better yet inform someone about something they hadn't known.

14. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 11 years ago

Isn't it amazing that in the current climate today we cannot have a civilized discussion? How many times does someone make an innocent remark and then...pounce...as the the tigers jump all over them. It is disheartening, to say the least, when we are attacked for making a comment. Somewhere in this world of political and religious zealots we have lost respect for one another. "Yes" I have deleted some Hubbers who have been extremely nasty in their comments. Having a debate is one thing, but when it turns to name calling and labeling it takes on a whole new persona..

I had one Hubber reply using a slang referencing mentally challenged people. When I replied about a family member with Down Syndrome he still went after me using the same derogatory language. Apparently people are losing their sense of empathy and that is not a good thing.

1. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The person that fits this profile is all over the internet bullying people.

15. josiejossy profile image59
    josiejossyposted 11 years ago

We all have different opinions depending on our point of view....people's way of thinking still differs and all is welcome, but when they go to the extent of caling names, or using abusive language now that gets to another level and the best thing i can do is to get rid of those comments simply by deleting, because they add no value....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)