Why is it Presidential debates have to be on every channel? I feel like a child

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Charlu profile image77
    Charluposted 11 years ago

Why is it Presidential debates have to be on every channel? I feel like a child being punished.

Seriously, do they have to be on every channel? Do they think that we are not smart enough to turn to the right one, tape it, or watch it online afterwards?  It's as if I'm a child being punished who can't watch their favorite show because I need to pay attention to the debate. 
    Yes there are other "pay channels" that don't run it but how much to they pay to cover it on every major network?

2. Linda Cassini profile image61
    Linda Cassiniposted 11 years ago

At least you still have your cookies and milk...lol

3. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 11 years ago

Because an informed citizenship is the protection of a democracy.  Sorry to interrupt your sitcoms.

1. Linda Cassini profile image61
      Linda Cassiniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

informed citizenship is extremely important...as well as laughs in life..please keep that in perspective also peanut...

2. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have a citizenship more informed by the People Magazine than the New York Times.

3. Linda Cassini profile image61
      Linda Cassiniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly why politics and comics should not mix...uhhh where did that BIG bird come from lol...so you see politics didnt turn off the comics after all...lol

4. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL -- "Informed" or  brain washed to think it's a big deal. When has an election really made any difference? The same powers still manipulate politicians no matter who wins. We need laughter more than watching adults argue and deliver false promises

5. Charlu profile image77
      Charluposted 11 years agoin reply to this

An informed citizenship is determined by the citizen doing his/her research on the candidates they're interested in not all about debates (or shouldn't be anyway).  It should be on what they've done and a detailed look at  perspectives not tv acting.

6. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can see both sides, but shoving debates down peoples throats isn't the way to engage them and get them interested in politics.  Heavy handed tactics never convince anyone - they drive people away, but youre right we need a more informed populace.

4. LilaDaley profile image68
    LilaDaleyposted 11 years ago

It was on all our US channels but our Canadian channels didn't show the debate.  Glad I was still able to watch SVU on CTV and The First 48 on A & E.

I don't know why it has to be on ALL channels.  They want viewership.  Which is dumb since not everyone wants to watch the debates and they would get viewership by showing their regular scheduled programs.

Canadian elections go on for 6-8 weeks not 18 months.  They come and go.  New York channels show political commercials all year long, every year.  It seems to me to be a waste and just interject negativity into society.

Love your answer, so much "common and logical sense"  6-8 weeks just think of the money everyone would save and could possibly use for the hungry or education.   The definition of insanity doing the same thing over n over expecting different results

5. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

We are manipulated into believing voting is important. If voting was ever to really make any drastic changes at all, no doubt the whole process of voting would be outlawed. We are manipulated into surrendering our powers to the leaders.... Sorry , but change will NOT happen from the top down.... it WILL ONLY happen from the bottom up.
    War will continue as long as willing soldiers pick up arms and fight battles someone else dictates.
    Waste of tax payers dollars will continue as long as we let them take our dollars and spend it foolishly.
    Billionaires will continue to move our money around as long as we continue to invest in their stocks..... the list goes on!  Change has to happen from bottom up - not top down!
    Gandhi knew this and his movement proved it. Passive resistance changed things from bottom up!
    I'ld rather watch a re-run of Gilligan's Island than political debates.

Definitely a wow factor answer and agreed as I stated in another comment the true definition of insanity

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

the biggest problem is that people like it the way it is. Some die trying to get here. kind of like the least of evils. Hey that is just like the debates ;-)

3. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People now a days move to and from almost every country.... not realizing happiness is found inside themselves no matter where they are....still others die inside .. look to the inner cities on every continent and you will see cadavers still walking

4. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is no choice and no tranquility while the body starves. But the point of the question posed is far more practical. Every station is an exaggeration. But blocking of choice is a reality, as is the situation for most.

6. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

Your question took me back to childhood when there was only three television channels which would all be on the President when he spoke....ruining our evening of course!  Such is the state of the world today as it still takes all the channels to keep up the propaganda.  ~WB

1. Conservative Lady profile image71
      Conservative Ladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember those days so well - ABC, NBC, CBS, and if you were lucky PBS too. We've come a long way!

7. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 11 years ago

In my opinion it is simple.  The major broadcast networks as well as the cable news channels are in the constant struggle for validity...  For at least a few of the cable news networks, the debates are the only unadulterated versions of what the candidates are saying from their own mouths.  If any one of the networks don't air it, anyone interested in seeing the debates will turn on one of the networks that are airing it which has potential to make that person a long term viewer of their channel...I am sure that Fox news would rather air an old Reagan speach and MSNBC an old Clinton performance but we are stuck with the crew we've got...There is always American Pickers on Cable...

8. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 11 years ago

It's always about the money. Networks and cable channels assume a large audience, especially when the debates are hyped so much. They therefore can convince sponsors to buy more time and at the same time pledge to their viewers that they are doing the country a public service. They don't care if you watch the debates or not. Forgive me for sounding cynical, but when each side in a campaign must spend one billion dollars in an attempt to get elected, the money must be the only reason any of the participants do anything. How many emails have you gotten asking for money? To repeat, it's America, which means it's always about the money. Television is just another player in the game.

Ah Ha  I knew it would come out sooner or later $$$$$$$  Thanks and even though I figured as much, it's nice to hear someone else's opinions One billion WOW

9. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Ratings, Ratings and more Ratings in order to compete in the advertising game. I kind of hope that the ratings went down. Debating is an art form. Not letting someone else finish a sentence is rude. Facial antics are totally unprofessional and will get you an admonishment from a good judge or moderator. If ratings are based on entertainment value -- that was a bad show. If ratings are based on informational value -- that was a bad show.
    I bet that the debates would fade away if they were on pay per view channels. Did you notice the advertising was old and stale?
    I just can't see watching one man be rude to another.

10. d.william profile image74
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

It is an interesting question and has many points of view. 
    I do agree that preempting 'everything else' on TV is a bit over the top, but the apathetic attitudes of most people warrants some kind of 'in-you-face' presentation of what is at stake in our election process.
    If one watches the campaigning around the country (both sides of it and not just one sided views of their parties) then the debates should reflect a culmination of what the campaigning is all about.  And as both the debates so far have shown, is that what is said while campaigning around the country is much different than what is said at the debates.
    So, as lazy Americans, we think that watching the debates will give us an idea of who these people are; and that cannot be farther from the truth.
    The lying and deceit of the debates is appalling when their platform campaign promises are extremely polar opposites.
    I do agree that which ever president wins this election, there will be little change in American, or global, politics in the next 4 years. 
    What WILL matter however is who controls congress as to which direction this country will be taken.  Politicians have their own agendas and do not reflect the wishes of the people anymore; so it is imperative that we be as informed as possible when it comes to how we cast our votes. 
    If we do not know what is going on and vote blindly based on political party, or simply the debates - we all lose - and have no right to criticize when the elections are over. 
    These elections come every 4 years and our favorite t.v. shows are on all year long.

Ok point taken as to they only come every 4 years, but as you stated  the lying and polar opposite stands opposed to their campaign tours are ridiculous.  Although I have a huge interest and passion for this election I will be glad when it is over

2. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that statement.  I am totally over it !!!!

11. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

I'm sorry that choosing the next president and vice president is an inconvenience.

It has nothing to do with choosing the next president  I've done more research this election than probably all the others combined, but why every channel  Do they think that we can't find the right one or will watch them because the other isn't on

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It should be on every channel.  That way, people actually have to pay attention for a little while, or not watch TV, and they aren't going to forego TV.

12. recappers delight profile image69
    recappers delightposted 11 years ago

It's the price we pay for having a representative form of government. We have the right to vote on who we want. Therefore, we have the obligation to pay attention when information that might help us make better decisions presents itself.  Now, the fact that both sides frequently spend a lot of time avoiding the question at hand so that they can go back to their pre-canned stump speech is another matter; I personally find it more helpful to read what happened at the debate afterward and get past the blather to the meat of the matter. And yes, I now know a lot more about all four candidates than I did last month.

13. homesteadpatch profile image60
    homesteadpatchposted 11 years ago

It appears they are forced to air the debates.  For example, the networks pay big dollars to air popular sporting events, and they all can't cover it.  If it were truly about ratings (and dollars), there would be only one network airing a debate at any given time and the remaining networks would be forced to fight for the remaining viewers.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)